Need To Have 2 remotes control 1 501PVR

jmcgee_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I have the box downstairs but I have the coax split to upstairs and downstairs so I can watch TV or DVR upstairs and watch the DVR downstairs (I have a 811 downstairs I wont buy a 942 or anything :) ). Now my question is I can take the remote it came with upstairs and use the UHF to control the PVR but will the 501 take IR commands also? I cant find anything on this. I want to program my sony IR to control the box when im downstairs thanks guys!!! Or would I need or would this work better?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104275&cp=2032057.2032187.2032191&parentPage=family

Yes a IR remote will run your 501... I use a spare 2700 remote to control mine as my UHF remote is on it's second 501 and has some issues... however I can't use some of the dvr features with it... the Radio Shack remote might work, but it has no mention of Dvr capabilitys...

Ok thanks I just cant find any codes to program my remote with to control the damn thing :) Do I have to use a DISH remote? My sony doesnt show any codes.

Well your Sony should be able to do it if it is a universal remote. Look up codes for Echostar, or if your remote can scan do that. My JVC HT receiver remote works my 522 just fine for basic functions.

Not too sure, but if you have a 501 ans an 811 your recivers should be set to different remote addresses. You may want to try putting the remote addresses on the same address. Not too sure if that wilo solve anything but it could be worth a try???

Dave,

Ok thanks I forgot about echostar I will look it up.

Wobbie,
I dont think you understand my dillema. i want my dvr box to be hooked up to 2 tv's the one upstairs for tv viewing and dvr viewing and the tv downstairs for dvr only. So id like to have 2 remotes so i dont have to bring remote up and downstairs. Basically what im going to do is just order antoher remote off ebay and set them both to the same channel.

remote roulette

The 501 will take IR commands but you may have trouble getting universal remotes to control it at other than the default remote address.
Or to be more clear, set the 501 to remote address = 1, to test.

I solved my other room problem on a 301 some years ago by getting a Dish UHF remote which transmitted to a pyramid box in the living room.
The box received my bedroom UHF commands and sent IR directly into the front of the 301.
The nice thing was that each room had its own remote, and more importantly, both remotes looked the same!

By purchasing a 2nd 501 remote, you will accomplish the same thing and with a lot less trouble than any other option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)