Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
Earlier December i add 2 hd receivers and instead of installing the swm 8 switch the tech installed an swm splitter and 2 h20 I already had a hr24 I ask the tech if he could run a line outside for the over the air antenna as I wanted to keep it installed and run it to all the rooms

How do I get the swm 8 switch from direct tv ?

Why do you think you need an SWM8 to do this??? You CAN actually do it with the SWiM LNB & SWM splitters.
If you have 8 tuners or less, & do NOT have an international dish f/95, then the techs will NOT use SWM8 switches, & do it the way they did for you.

However, you DO realize that in either case, you will NOT be able to use MRV if you are diplexing OTA... ;)

dishrich said:
Why do you think you need an SWM8 to do this??? You CAN actually do it with the SWiM LNB & SWM splitters.
If you have 8 tuners or less, & do NOT have an international dish f/95, then the techs will NOT use SWM8 switches, & do it the way they did for you.

However, you DO realize that in either case, you will NOT be able to use MRV if you are diplexing OTA... ;)

Then how is this accomplished and what do I need ?

if you are using MRV, you have to have separate copper for your OTA and MRV.

Option 1:
Run separate coax line to each tv that carries just the OTA

Option 2:
Use ethernet cables to carry the MRV data and diplex the OTA signal onto a single coax.

badtlc said:
if you are using MRV, you have to have separate copper for your OTA and MRV.

Option 1:
Run separate coax line to each tv that carries just the OTA

Option 2:
Use ethernet cables to carry the MRV data and diplex the OTA signal onto a single coax.

Dont have mrv and not planning on running MRV

What diplexers are swm approved and where are they placed outside at ?

You would need one diplexer to insert the OTA onto the coax and distribute it to each location and then another diplexer at each TV location to separate the signal back out.

You can also buy the splitter SWM8 online if you want. Use google. Solid Signal probably sells them, too.

You would need one diplexer to insert the OTA onto the coax and distribute it to each location and then another diplexer at each TV location to separate the signal back out.

You can also buy the splitter SWM8 online if you want. Use google. Solid Signal probably sells them, too.

or ebay

So I need to run a line to the outside then add the diplexer before the swm splitter then a diplexer at each tv that I want to hook up to antenna if I understand correctly

Yes, here are the exact ones I have used in the past w/SWM from my distributor:

https://installeroasis.com/nas-std-9501-satellite-diplexer-for-directv-swim-2-pack-pr-160.html
(I realize it says they are discontinued, but they might be available from somewhere else; I am not up on any other SWM compatable brands)

I assume you know you need to be aware of your OTA signal levels, which will be affected by the size of your SWM splitter. (you didn't mention if it was a 2, 4 or 8-way...) Also I assume you are NOT using any kind of antenna pre-amp in this chain, but if you are, you need to take that into account as well.

dishrich said:
Yes, here are the exact ones I have used in the past w/SWM from my distributor:

https://installeroasis.com/nas-std-9501-satellite-diplexer-for-directv-swim-2-pack-pr-160.html
(I realize it says they are discontinued, but they might be available from somewhere else; I am not up on any other SWM compatable brands)

I assume you know you need to be aware of your OTA signal levels, which will be affected by the size of your SWM splitter. (you didn't mention if it was a 2, 4 or 8-way...) Also I assume you are NOT using any kind of antenna pre-amp in this chain, but if you are, you need to take that into account as well.

The splitter is a 1 in 4 out no antenna amp can receive most Of what I want without the amp looking at this as a backup for bad and to supplement the direct channels

Last edited:
Well I'm still glad it's not the 1x8 SWM splitter, as that's quite a bit of loss. You still have to factor in that you WILL have loss on each diplexer.
IMHO, you ARE better off going this route instead of the SWM8 switch. In my experience, the OTA port on the SWM8 seemed to have more loss than a (combining) diplexer...

dishrich said:
Well I'm still glad it's not the 1x8 SWM splitter, as that's quite a bit of loss. You still have to factor in that you WILL have loss on each diplexer.
IMHO, you ARE better off going this route instead of the SWM8 switch. In my experience, the OTA port on the SWM8 seemed to have more loss than a (combining) diplexer...

Where do the diplexers go outside before the splitter ?

Something else to mention, if you use MRV with DECA connections Diplexing will kill that, they use the same range. You are better to do a seperate wire for OTA if at all possible.

If you do the SWM8 solution, keep in mind you'll need to replace your LNB because you have SWM built into it. You would then need the non-swm LNB.

Something else to mention, if you use MRV with DECA connections Diplexing will kill that, they use the same range. You are better to do a seperate wire for OTA if at all possible.

Already told him that back on #2 - said he didn't care...

If you do the SWM8 solution, keep in mind you'll need to replace your LNB because you have SWM built into it. You would then need the non-swm LNB.

see OP, he already has it - how would he be using a SWM splitter already if he didn't... ;) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)