Need to Move Dish

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I'm new to Dish...I got it Tuesday. I previously had DirecTV.

I know NOTHING about setting up a dish, but the guy had to put one of the dishes on a Pole. The other is on the roof...and is fine. One is for HD I'm assuming. He was supposed to have it back about 4 feet so it wouldnt be so obvious.

Anyway, I signed the install paper work, and he left. I didnt like where he put the pole, so I called Customer Service. They told me since I signed that paper work that it would cost $99.00 for them to come out and move it.

She did say that if I tried to move it myself and failed then they would come out and fix it for free. So obviously I am going to move it.

I ONLY have to move this thing backward like 3 feet..Maybe 4. Is it reasonable to assume that I will keep the signal? How hard is it to lock in on the sattelite?

I think this is a dish 500 (says it on it)....The tech said it is on Sat 119 I guess....Does that mean I can go into pref, and check the signal as I move this thing?

Any suggestions?
Is this hard?
Should I just pay the 100?

if you never did anything with aiming dishes, then i recommend pay $100, or sign up with DHPP.

why didn't you tell the tech u want the dish a little bit further from current location?

Last edited:
All i have to say is that you were there when he installed the pole mount, from experience, the installer put the pole probally there for a reason, line of site probally. Now, at any given time you could have said something to him while he was creating a pole in the ground for you, but noooooooooo, you have to be one of the customers that creates a service call on the work that you signed off on that states everything is good with you about the install. And in the mean time, the installers numbers look bad due to you creating that service call on him. I'm sorry, but if you didn't want that pole there, you should have spoken up at the time of install while he was doing the install and not waiting till after to get him yelled at by his boss. Sorry dude, but its people like you that make installing dish harder than what it needs to be.

Even if you move the dish yourself, when the installer comes out he will call Dish and tell them you moved it. Guess what you will then be billed the $99.00 for the service call.

Not gonna be as harsh as the previous post, but you should have watched what the installer was doing. If you did not like it you could have said something. There also may be a reason he installed it there. Try calling the install company first before calling Dish.

Listen...I understand that I "should have" said something....And I did....And he moved it TWICE.

I went in the house when I thought we agreed on a spot....And he moved it forward a bit.

It looked fine to me at first, but I didnt realize how bad it was until I was in the car driviung up my road.

I'll also be honest, I knew when he left that i didnt like it. And I asked him, as I was signing the paper, If I chose to move it how I could test the signal. He showed me.

It's a fault in my own character....The dude was there for 5 hours installing sh*t...And I didnt want to make him dig up a hole and move a pole 4 feet....I should have...But felt bad asking

Now that everyone finished their laundry... :eek:

Out of curiousity, "What are you going to do?":D

It doesn't sound like you are happy with the location of one of the dishes, mainly because it can be seen when driving out front, and this will probably slowly irritate you until you do something drastic. :eek:

Although I personally don't think it is difficult, you should have an idea of what the equipment does and how it needs to be set up. :confused:

Considering, since you have 2 dishes and don't know what each one is for, and it is possible the location that probably will suit you may not be an ideal location for the dish, I think you should seek help from someone in the area with some experience. :up

However, if the dish was mounted on a pole on one side of the house, and just not far enough back behind the front of the house, then maybe you can plant a bush in front of the dish so that it can not be seen. Normally, the dish is picking up signals from a high angle, and depending on how close something is to the dish, will depend on how high the object can be in front of the dish. :idea: :idea:

If you do decide to attempt this yourself, then think about this before moving anything.
....Will the current cables be of sufficient length? If not, you will need the right type of cables.
....If you move the one dish, will you have to relocate a switch? If any.
....What about ground wires?
....When you put the new pipe in the ground, make sure it is plumb in about 8 directions (or at least N-S and E-W).
....When you remove the dish from the current pole, do not change any settings, just loosen the 2 nuts for the mast bracket.

Last edited:
As a dish net installer i agree with what everyone here has said, you should have said something to the installer before signing paper work. It is probably where it is for signal purposes, and tuning a dish in is not easy that is why we use meters. Lastly no matter what dish told you, if you move it yourself and the original installer has to come back out because it does not work - he will call them and you will be charged the 99.00 anyways under their customer interference policy. It sucks but its true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts