Need to point 1000.2 WA to the EA

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
At my old apartment I had installed a 1000.2 WA, mostly because I was just personally more familiar with 110/119. Then I moved to a new apartment that has an eastern facing balcony. So I figured that works out fine, Houston locals are on both WA and EA, and my only receiver is a 922.

After some research I determined that I did not need to receive the 77W position at all.

Now, I have been able to get 61.5 alone, and I have been able to get 72.7 alone. I settled on receiving 61.5 alone on the middle LNB for now since that has most of my channels and I was able to take a guide update. The outermost (easternmost) LNB has foil on it. So it makes sense to me, that I should somehow be able to receive 72.7 on the innermost LNB.

I can adjust the skew all the way from one extreme to the other and maintain the lock on 61.5. Right now it's set to whatever gave me the best signal.

There is an old post on here somewhere of someone doing the same thing. Does anyone have any tips?

110/119 have a 9 degree separation, while 61.5/72.7 have an 11 degree separation, so the WA LNB does not have the correct angles (for lack of a better term) to pick up both sats together. As JSheridan said, you will need to replace the LNB assembly to the EA for the 1000.2.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
So I found this post. This guy says it's possible to use a Dish 500. My mom still has an old one on her roof and it's mine if I want to take it down.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/2843451/

I can't find the original post that talks about using the WA LNB for EA. But the gist of it was, you point the "119 LNB" at 61.5, and then the "129 LNB" will be pretty close to 72.7. The "110 LNB" goes unused.

Basically you take advantage of 129-119=10 being closer to 11, compared to 119-110=9.

I'll probably wind up ordering the right part if I can't get this to work today from fiddling with it. For some reason it took a guide download but I don't think the receiver is happy about only getting 61.5, I still only have 1 hour of guide and shows aren't recording consistently.

Yeah, Houston locals are on 61.5, SD and HD. Also the SD national channels.

How many other markets are like Houston, fully duplicated on both arcs? I know some other markets were duplicated but then moved to one or the other.

So I found this post. This guy says it's possible to use a Dish 500. My mom still has an old one on her roof and it's mine if I want to take it down.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/2843451/

I can't find the original post that talks about using the WA LNB for EA. But the gist of it was, you point the "119 LNB" at 61.5, and then the "129 LNB" will be pretty close to 72.7. The "110 LNB" goes unused.

Basically you take advantage of 129-119=10 being closer to 11, compared to 119-110=9.

I'll probably wind up ordering the right part if I can't get this to work today from fiddling with it. For some reason it took a guide download but I don't think the receiver is happy about only getting 61.5, I still only have 1 hour of guide and shows aren't recording consistently.
Dish 500 looks at 110 & 119 so it only has the 9* spacing. Your 1000.2 does have the spacing for 119 & 129 but it is still a compromise solution.

I should have the correct LNB part tomorrow, $20 was more than fair and I have Amazon Prime. Hopefully after a check switch and a few dozen reboots the receiver will retain the guide.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Amazon managed to screw up the billing. Now it didn't ship out today, it won't come until Monday and I won't get to see any of the free premiums in HD because those seem to be on 72 (unless I give up locals).

So now I'm motivated to get the current thing to see both birds again. Any tips to that goal? I'm not sure what skew to set at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts