need to relocate dish?

mxlance

Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
akron ohio
hello just joined the forum hope this is in the right place.

the neighbors tree has final grown into my line of sight. $500+ to trim if he would let me.
Called dish and a tech came out and said I need to switch to HD - different satellites.
I would prefer not to do this.
I see two options and even more questions. I can raise the dish higher with a mast to get above the tree. or relocate the dish to the other side of the house that may have a better line of sight. both on the roof.

Using dishpointer I found out about here, moving the dish could be the better option.

Am i stuck on my own to try and figure this out or will dish send a tech out again and spent the time and effort to make this work or at least show me why it will not.

we have been here for 6 years and we have been dish network customers for 9+ years.

do you have any suggestions?
thanks

If there was a better location for the dish, the tech should have moved it while he was there. If he didn't do anything the work order should have been cancelled. If it was closed cust serv can set up a trouble call at no charge.

A higher mast may only work for a season or two.

If your local channels are on the western arc, switching over to eastern arc won't help and won't even work without HD recs.

Moving to HD only uses the different satellite for the HD channels, not the SD ones, so you would still have a problem. Call dish and explain there is line of sight on different part of house and you need the dish moved.

If there was a better location for the dish, the tech should have moved it while he was there. If he didn't do anything the work order should have been cancelled. If it was closed cust serv can set up a trouble call at no charge.

I'm curious as to what the tech was sent to do and what the conversation was... calling back to cust serv and having them make a "Trouble call" hurts the tech and will cost him money unless he is the one back out so that's not a good move and kinda sad that customers do that to screw over hard working guys and in this summer heat makes it worse.

I would just call and setup a promo upgrade to that HD, wouldn't hurt and will allow the tech to make more money off the job while at the same time moving the Dish and making everyone happy.

It depends what actually happened when he was there, but if the tech got paid for the service call and didn't fix the problem, he should get hit with a trouble call

update!

First thanks for all the help.

after more reading here and the responses to this post. on wed the 23 i called dish back and explained the problem in more detail. they suggested a tech come out again and see if there are any better options. So we scheduled an appointment for today, june 26.

later on the 23 akron was hit by a storm with high winds knocking down part of the very tree that seemed to be the problem. Unfortunately it landed on the neighbors garage putting a 3 foot hole in it. And not enough came down to help my issue. After days of dealing with utility companies with no luck i awaited the dish tech hoping for a simple inexpensive answer. well the tech just left and unfortunately there is only one answer available to me. Cut the top off the tree. There is no other way, not higher or on the other side of the roof. not even my neighbors roof can get a clear view.

This time however i was better prepared thanks to this forum and could ask the right questions. Now i understand the issue and know exactly what tree needs trimmed. The tech was great and really explained things and helped explore every option he could. I think the first tech would have done the same for me, i just did not know the questions to ask at that time.

I was disappointed to here from the tech today that he would not be paid for his time with me because he did know work on site.
I offered him something and he said no thank you. The subcontractor model does not seem fair to the tech. this appears to be a growing trend in business/employment today.

Back to my issue, a tree service will be here shortly. The upside of the damage from the storm is it will be easier for the tree guy to reach the offending tree and my neighbor was only to happy to give permission to trim away.

As for switching to direct tv that would only be a last resort. To answer dvrexpander the first tech was sent for loss of signal issues.
it was not my intention to screw anyone and he left with a big piece of chocolate chip banana bread for his trouble. not much but at least a sincere thank you. I do appreciate your comments and believe a better educated customer is always a good idea but does not always happen in time to help everyone as in this case. It was only after the first tech visit that I began researching on my own and found this forum.

i think thats it for now.

A belated:welcome!

Living on a property with dozens and dozens of trees and thousands of dollars spent on tree work, I suggest you do some tree service shopping. $500.00 to top a tree sounds excessive to me. I've had whole trees taken down for less.

As for switching to direct tv that would only be a last resort. To answer dvrexpander the first tech was sent for loss of signal issues.

Well that's good, if he couldn't do anything then he won't get hit for a TC which is likely what Dish setup to get a new tech out. The new tech out should get paid for running around pointing out branches of tree's unless he cancels it. The only time I would cancel a call like this is if your install is so old that it would take me an hour to bring up to spec cause once he closes that work order for just point out branches then the job is ALL his so he would not only have to point out tree limbs to cut but also make sure all your system parts are up to spec as in proper and tight connectors, proper cable, proper mount etc etc... bunch of nonsense IMO so this is prob why the tech just left saying he wouldn't get paid so his name wouldn't be on the job/location.

A belated:welcome!

Living on a property with dozens and dozens of trees and thousands of dollars spent on tree work, I suggest you do some tree service shopping. $500.00 to top a tree sounds excessive to me. I've had whole trees taken down for less.

Around here 300-400$ for tree topping is about average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)