Status
Please reply by conversation.

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Ok, I'm wanting to move one of my HR24s to my tech room. I've got good coax running from the garage to that room with coax that has been running a cablemodem for the last couple of years.

I can tap into the line from the exterior SWM splitter with a 2-way green splitter there.

I have two sections of patch cable. One is labeled RG8 and is pretty thin with some pre-installed conectors on them, the other cable I could use is RG59 with good connectors on it also. Length of the patch cable will be 10', so which would be better? Or are both of them insufficient?

RG8 is communications cable (like for CB's and HAMS) and its really thick so I dont think its that

you really need to use RG6

Ok, ok! I got out my reading glasses and it is RG6! :)

So I'm better using that even though it is a thinner cable than the RG59?

Splits of splits aren't recommended. You have an existing splitter, run your line from there. RG-59 is supposed to be okay with SWM but I'd run a brand new RG-6 with compression fittings from the existing split. How many ports does the splitter have and how many tuners do you have? The SWM LNB will only support eight tuners. DVR's have two and an HR34 has five. Since you are moving a DVR you should be fine. Pay attention to the location of PI. It could be anywhere inline but connected to the powered passing port one on the green label splitter. Don't disconnect it from the mix as the dish won't work without it.

Currently I have the main splitter, which is 8-port I think.

Off of it 2 cables go to the front room, one of them to the PI, the other to a 2 way green splitter and used on 2 HR24s. Additionally one cable goes to the upstairs bedroom. The plan is to split that one because I can do that easily in the garage with only a 2-way splitter and a 6-10' patch cable.

Anything else requires getting under the house and I don't do that anymore! :)

Getting old isn't for pussies you know!! :)

Off of it 2 cables go to the front room, one of them to the PI, the other to a 2 way green splitter and used on 2 HR24s. Additionally one cable goes to the upstairs bedroom. The plan is to split that one because I can do that easily in the garage with only a 2-way splitter and a 6-10' patch cable.

Must...resist...rude...reply! :)

That's a ton of loss. I have always heard the rule to never put a 2 way behind an 8..

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I was mistaken, the main splitter is a 4-way. It was raining all yesterday so I didn't go out and look.

Sounds like three splits. Four to two to two. SWM is lower freq so the loss could be even worse. Not sure how the math works but is that 100 divided by four = 25 divided by 2 = 12.5 divided by 2 = 6.25% of the original signal? But then SWM has eight discreet frequencies, channels, so it may make no difference. I ain't a sparky so I really don't know.

No, I don't think so. One wire into the 4-way. 3 wires out.

2 will be at the front room, one to the PI and then to the CCK, the other to one HR24.

1 will be to the garage to a 2-way. One from that to the upstairs bedroom, the other to the tech room. Distance from the garage to the tech room is about a 60' run. Garage to upstairs bedroom about a 10' run.

The current setup is 3 wires from 4 way. 2 to front room, one to PI to CCK, other to a 2-way to the two HR24s. 3rd wire to upstairs bedroom with a barrel connector in the garage.

I'm actually considering not doing it this way at all. I'm strongly considering a receiver only in the tech room since I don't actually need another DVR and run a wire from the 4-way to that room and letting D* do all the work. First need to see what deal I can strike with D*. I suspect a free HD receiver as they indicated that before, and a $49 truck roll. Hopefully I can talk them into a free truck roll. I'll get around to it sometime soon, though nothing is 'needed' only 'wanted'! :)

OK, it has been awhile since I was considering these changes. In the meantime, I started a little log to see what and how much I would actually watch TV in my tech room. Turns out, not much at all. Average of about an hour a day though many days watched nothing. But I watch almost zero live TV anywhere, including this room. So I cranked up DirecTV2PC on my little Acer laptop that has an HDMI output that I now have hooked to my Sony PS3 3D display. Even though the software bitches about my laptop, it does work just fine.

Since I don't watch live TV much at all, the only other benefit I would get from moving/adding a receiver to the tech room is to get 3D from D*. I looked to see what was available in 3D from D* and found it to be not much of interest to me at all. Yeah, there were some things that I might watch just because, but I wouldn't miss them if I didn't.

Bottom line is why pay a monthly fee for something I don't actually need? My answer to me is that I can't think of a good reason.

Thanks to those that responded to my request. I'll use DirecTV2PC and my laptop and get enough of what I want and save myself $6/month!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)