Need two S-Video Outputs for 811 - Splitter?

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Currently have a 12' Dayton (Parts Express) S-Video cable running from my 811 to my Sony CRT RP HD set. Just bought a DVD Recorder and would like to also run S-Video from the 811 to it.

Can some sort of Y-Splitter be used for this and if so where can I get a good one? PartsExpress doesn't list one, and the only others I can find look cheap.

The cable to the DVD recorder will be much shorter probably 1.5-3ft.

Will this work fine or do I need some sort of amplifier that splits the signal?

Thanks for all advice.

You never want to just split a line video output.

You best bet would probably be to pass the S-Video thru the DVDR to the display.

But to answer the last question, there are video distribution amplifiers available from various venders with multiple outputs.

JohnDoe#2 said:
You best bet would probably be to pass the S-Video thru the DVDR to the display.

Hadn't thought of that, wonder if it will pass through with the DVDR off?

Also found a converter here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-140

If I used this I could convert a composite output to S-Video and continue to use my S-Video cable to the TV. The S-Video output on the 811 could then be run to the DVDR.

I know I'd be downgrading my output to the TV to composite but if this would work ok I'd probably do it to keep the DVDR on S-Video.

Do converters like this do what they are supposed to do without causing problems?

does your Sony have component input? if so you could connect 811 -> Sony via that, and use svid to the dvdr... I get a better picture on my Sony RP HD with the component than with svideo.

you probably would already be using that if you have it, but just thought I'd mention it.

Offroad,

Below is quoted from the Radio Shack web page, this looks like the most straight forward approach to your connection requirements

4-Way A/V Distribution Amplifier

$44.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 15-1172 Model: 15-1172

Great for multi-VCR dubbing setups. Connects up to four VCRs or TVs to the line-level stereo audio/video output (RCA jacks) of one VCR. Also converts composite video input to an S-video output. Provides one S-video input and four S-video outputs.

Regards

Input selector and more $ switcher

I have the 1-in, 4-out amp and it works great. It handles 2-chan audio and composite video as well as s-video.

Before that I bought the Radio Shack 4-in, 1-out selector -- use for 501, 811, Classic DVR and Sony DVD HT or VCR. It accept either yellow or s-video and outputs both. Do not input both on the same input or it will bias itself to a bad picture.

Having bought both, I missed a chance for a RS ~$100 remotely controlled switcher for 4 or 5 inputs with 2? outputs and handling Toslink as well. Ended up buying a manual 4-way manual Toslink audio switch at $20 - $5 coupon. So I ended up spending nearly as much without the remote. Guess I would have needed the 4-way amp anyway for outputs to DVD+RW, VCRs, sound system, and TV.

There are 2-from-1 s-video splitters, use only on short runs with higher impedance loads. They run $10-$20 and should be ~$5.

Try svideo.com I just purchased an S-Video "Y" adapter (2 females to 1 male) so can use my TV's single s-video input for both my DISH and DVD player. Works fine, no signal degradation that I can notice. Far cheaper than a selector and no signal loss. I think they also will have a 2 male to 1 female configuration if that is what you need. Hope this helps, Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts