Need Upgrade Advise

akaRadar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
I currently have a Dish 811 for my main receiver and a 501DVR (I think it is) for a second room. I don't have to pay a DVR fee on the 501 because it's so old I guess, but it still works. I would like to upgrade to the 622 (HD DVR) and possible do away with the second receiver. I have read a lot, but still confussed about the 622. Some people tell me it's better to buy the 622, some say to lease.
Looks like I can upgrade on a lease for $199 up front charge including installation. I now have a Dish 500, will a new dish need to be installed? What satellites does it have to see to get all the channels? If it has to see one at a lower angle than it is now, it may be a problem due to trees.
I now have the 120-CD package (I think it is), the $9.95 HD package, and HBO package. Are there more HD channels with the newer 622 packages. I was thinking the HD Gold package is about the same as what I have now, is that right.
I am so confussed :confused:
Thanks for any input.

Well, to start. Where are you located? That would make a difference on what satellites that you would want to "see" because of horizons and potentially HD locals.

If you have the 120 package that is the same as the HD Silver Pacakge except the new HD (MPEG 4 or marked as VIP only) channels would be added.

akaRadar said:
I currently have a Dish 811 for my main receiver and a 501DVR (I think it is) for a second room. I don't have to pay a DVR fee on the 501 because it's so old I guess, but it still works. I would like to upgrade to the 622 (HD DVR) and possible do away with the second receiver. I have read a lot, but still confussed about the 622. Some people tell me it's better to buy the 622, some say to lease.
Looks like I can upgrade on a lease for $199 up front charge including installation. I now have a Dish 500, will a new dish need to be installed? What satellites does it have to see to get all the channels? If it has to see one at a lower angle than it is now, it may be a problem due to trees.
I now have the 120-CD package (I think it is), the $9.95 HD package, and HBO package. Are there more HD channels with the newer 622 packages. I was thinking the HD Gold package is about the same as what I have now, is that right.
I am so confussed :confused:
Thanks for any input.
Yes you will need to upgrade satellite dishes for the Gold package you will need the 1000 it does look at a satellite that is lower on the horizon (129degrees). Figure on spending about $30 more a month with HD fees, DVR fee and lease fee. How many more HD channels will you actually watch for the higher price?

lakebum431 said:
Well, to start. Where are you located? That would make a difference on what satellites that you would want to "see" because of horizons and potentially HD locals.

I am just south of Dallas TX.

Thanks

boba said:
Yes you will need to upgrade satellite dishes for the Gold package you will need the 1000 it does look at a satellite that is lower on the horizon (129degrees). Figure on spending about $30 more a month with HD fees, DVR fee and lease fee. How many more HD channels will you actually watch for the higher price?

Thanks for the reply. If it's mostly sports for the extra money, it's not worth it to me. I'll have to double check the programming packages again.

Thanks !

Are you on the DHP (Digital Home Plan)? That's the plan I signed up for many years ago and I have to pay a $6 lease fee for my 622 and also a $5 lease fee for my 501 that I have had since the beginning of my service. I always thought the first or main receiver on the account did not have to pay a lease, but according to the last 3 CSR I've talked to that's incorrect.

smokey982 said:
Are you on the DHP (Digital Home Plan)? That's the plan I signed up for many years ago and I have to pay a $6 lease fee for my 622 and also a $5 lease fee for my 501 that I have had since the beginning of my service. I always thought the first or main receiver on the account did not have to pay a lease, but according to the last 3 CSR I've talked to that's incorrect.

I don't think I am on the DHP (not even sure what it is). I am not leasing eiither of my current receivers. I do pay a monthly fee for the 2nd receiver (501), but it's not a lease fee.

The 622 will have a $6/Mo. lease fee and a $5.98 DVR fee, a HD package is $20 more than an AT basic package. At120 is $39.99 the HDsilver is the equivalent at $59.99 or $20 more for the HD. You should go up $31.98/Mo with the equivalent package or $41.98 if you go with Gold.

So you are paying $200 one-time fee for VIP 622, and $11/mo ($5 -access, $6-dvr)... and you dont even own equipment..

i guess the $11/mo applies even if you own the equipment right? Say if you buy for $350+ on ebay..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)