Need wiring help with Echostar 4000 SRD C-band receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

be236

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Hello,

I took out this old receiver from the garage and don't know how wire from the LNB and motor of my C-band dish to this receiver.

There are two sets of bare wires, one set has 3 wires (I think this controls the H and V polarity position of the LNB, the receiver has labels for these three connections , eg ground, polarity +5v, etc) with different colours and another set has about 5 wires ( I think this controls the motor and dont have any labels to know).

Looking in the back of the receiver I know where these two sets go, but don't know the correct position of which each wire goes (the wires are color-coded)...

Can anyone help?

Andrew

FIRST - Take the back cover off the actuator to see which wires are used for the sensor. Note brand also. The two heavy gauge wires are the motor but the small ones, in the same 'bundle', are the sensor. (Maybe post a picture?)

The three wire, with it's own shield, are the polarity servo. RED=+5 BLACK=GND,, and the last wire is PULSE.(polarity)

IIRR there's only 1 or 2 'channels' that are analog.

Include a well focused pic of the back of the receiver.(?)

Reactions: be236
FIRST - Take the back cover off the actuator to see which wires are used for the sensor. Note brand also. The two heavy gauge wires are the motor but the small ones, in the same 'bundle', are the sensor. (Maybe post a picture?)

The three wire, with it's own shield, are the polarity servo. RED=+5 BLACK=GND,, and the last wire is PULSE.(polarity)

IIRR there's only 1 or 2 'channels' that are analog.

Include a well focused pic of the back of the receiver.(?)

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so now I know how to wire the 3-wire bundle with colors and the label on the receiver where the 3 wires go to...

Next, I have to figure out the 5-wire bundle (the wires have various colors for each wire). The receiver end is not marked, it's got 5-slots for me to thread the wires through. I may not be able to get to the actuator cover... Note that this receiver and C-band dish wiring is all original and was working many years ago when I stored the receiver away (I hand drew the wiring diagram, but lost the hand-drawn note, darn it)...

Also, I can take a picture when I get a chance and re-post as soon as I can...

And I found out the C-band is pointed to 121W satellite, because I used an "Classic NA" FTA/MPEG2 receiver (that was used for Ku-band before) and was able to get a few MPEG2 signals on 121W (eg, BON and RT Today Esp).

I want to use the SRD4000 to move/point the dish to 107.3W to get the CTV channels, etc using the FTA box (but I think I need to get new MPEG4/HD FTA box to get those channels).

Also, I can take a picture when I get a chance and re-post as soon as I can...

And I found out the C-band is pointed to 121W satellite, because I used an "Classic NA" FTA/MPEG2 receiver (that was used for Ku-band before) and was able to get a few MPEG2 signals on 121W (eg, BON and RT Today Esp).
:thumbup

I want to use the SRD4000 to move/point the dish to 107.3W to get the CTV channels, etc using the FTA box (but I think I need to get new MPEG4/HD FTA box to get those channels).
Yup, need DVB-S2 receiver for those.

Ok, here are the pictures... the front and back of receiver and the bare wires from the dish itself.

Note the receiver has five screw
srd4000 back.jpg
bare wires.jpg
bare wires.jpg
srd4000 front.jpg
bare wires.jpg slots and the corresponding 4-colored-wire set goes into there, but dont know which slot to go in.

Left to right
White & RED = motor leads \
Green & orange = sensor leads \ screw terminals
Strange that those screw terminals aren't labeled.**

Red, Black, White _ Polarity Servo +5v, Gnd, Pulse (spring terminals)

Found no echostar in the manuals section. But:
oldfoggie may be of help,(found post where he said he had the manual,
#7 oldfoggie, May 29, 2012 ) but they haven't been on the board for about 5 weeks or so) (Conversation sent, hope an email goes out)
Alternately
** Use an ohmmeter to locate the terminals that connected to the chassis. May be 3, 2 wires may be the motor.
Use a voltmeter to find the 2 terminals that go to ~+30 volts when a dish move is initiated. (only for a second) They'll be the motor terminals.
Then another may be 12 volts and the other should be sensor.
Use a small low current lamp from ground (gnd, found earlier) to each. One will dimly light the lamp. This would be sensor.
2 wire sensor is wired to that (sensor) and ground. "All time' 12 v terminal not used.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
If all else fails, all that's needed is a battery, 12 to 36 volts, to connect to the motor leads to move it. Assuming the actuator is OK. I've used my cordless drill battery.
Program in 107 transponders 3807 V 6500, 3825 V 6499, 4100 V 28346
May want to program these as HORIZONTAL for 18 volts to LNB.
They are DVB mpeg.
Set polarity of the echostar to Vertical (servo wires connected)
May want to confirm the feed probe is vertical visually.
Program the FTA receiver for LNB type: Standard, 5150 L.O. Connect LNB coax to FTA box and move dish with the battery til you get "Q" and a picture on the TV.

Better yet, get the HD DVB-S2 receiver, and for only a 'bit' more, a V-Box actuator driver, and a C band PLL lnbf. (and easily enjoy all the satellites) Then the old analog can go to the museum

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST
the Echostar 4000 has an external power supply and the red and white wires and the other wires in that group would go on the power supply, the power supply is linked by a cable that plugs into that round socket, I have the manual and can email or post here in the next day or two, do you have the power supply that goes with it,

Attachments

• CCF03082016_00000.pdf
    410.6 KB · Views: 325
  • CCF03082016_00001.pdf
    436.1 KB · Views: 297
Reactions: Bongu and Titanium
If all else fails, all that's needed is a battery, 12 to 36 volts, to connect to the motor leads to move it. Assuming the actuator is OK. I've used my cordless drill battery.
Program in 107 transponders 3807 V 6500, 3825 V 6499, 4100 V 28346
May want to program these as HORIZONTAL for 18 volts to LNB.
They are DVB mpeg.
Set polarity of the echostar to Vertical (servo wires connected)
May want to confirm the feed probe is vertical visually.
Program the FTA receiver for LNB type: Standard, 5150 L.O. Connect LNB coax to FTA box and move dish with the battery til you get "Q" and a picture on the TV.

Better yet, get the HD DVB-S2 receiver, and for only a 'bit' more, a V-Box actuator driver, and a C band PLL lnbf. (and easily enjoy all the satellites) Then the old analog can go to the museum

Here's my user manual I found discussing the wires. So I can see where the white and green wires go.

But the remaining two wires are orange and red... So looking at the manual, it's confusing where to put these two wires in the remaining 3 slots (since it said the red slot should not be used for some reason)...

srd4000manual.JPG

the Echostar 4000 has an external power supply and the red and white wires and the other wires in that group would go on the power supply, the power supply is linked by a cable that plugs into that round socket, I have the manual and can email or post here in the next day or two, do you have the power supply that goes with it,

My EchoStar receiver does NOT have external power supply. The PS is internal to the unit itself.

Your RED and WHITE = their green and white (MOTOR)
Your GREEN and ORANGE = their black and shield (Sensor)

I see... so the colors got mapped from the wire to the screw leads on the receiver. Oh, BTW, the actuator is a SuperJack II+ HQ model.

I will try those wire connections later, but can't seem to find the remote for the receiver, which does not have any more controls than channel up and down.

Is there a universal remote than can control a remote for such an old satellite receiver?

I see... so the colors got mapped from the wire to the screw leads on the receiver. Oh, BTW, the actuator is a SuperJack II+ HQ model.

I will try those wire connections later, but can't seem to find the remote for the receiver, which does not have any more controls than channel up and down.

Is there a universal remote than can control a remote for such an old satellite receiver?
There is an original on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECHOSTAR-SRD-4000-REMOTE-CONTROL-FOR-MODEL-ES4000-/231464994177 :)

So, I think I have both set of wires connected to SRD-4000. Now usually on this model, if you tune to odd channels the LNB switches to H (or V) polarity. Then if you tune to even channels, it flips to the other polarity.

The current situation is that on my FTA/MPEG2 box, I can watch BON and RT Esp channels, so it shows as being in Vertical polarity. Now back on the SRD4000, I can change to the reverse channel (eg, I was only odd, then switch to even channel), and expected my picture to disappear, but it had no effect, which tells me the LNB is not switching polarity?

Thoughts? Or am I doing something wrong?

if you tune to odd channels the LNB switches to H (or V) polarity. Then if you tune to even channels, it flips to the other polarity.
Right

and expected my picture to disappear, but it had no effect, which tells me the LNB is not switching polarity?
Servo is shot. For little more than the cost of a replacement a NEW PLL C band LNBF can be had. No mechanical part have to move. FTA STB will select the polarity with the 13/18v LNB voltage. Then move the dish with a battery. Throw the analog out the window. Don't purchase a remote for it. For little more you get a VBox mover. It's controlled by the FTA STB.

Reactions: Titanium
Right

Servo is shot. For little more than the cost of a replacement a NEW PLL C band LNBF can be had. No mechanical part have to move. FTA STB will select the polarity with the 13/18v LNB voltage. Then move the dish with a battery. Throw the analog out the window. Don't purchase a remote for it. For little more you get a VBox mover. It's controlled by the FTA STB.

Hmmm. it was working (servor) about 8 years ago when I disconnected the wires... I guess after 8 years of non-use , it could have died... darn it...

So do you have a link to where to get this new PLL C band LNBF so it has no moving parts and for this VBox mover too?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts