Need wiring help with Echostar 4000 SRD C-band receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That would be the heaviest gauge ones.
RED and WHITE in your picture
bare-wires-jpg.114791

DO NOT connect any other wires to the battery.
Chances of 'poof - soot is GREAT.

Thanks! Ok, I'll just touch those thick white and red wires to + and - terminals of my 12V car battery and see if the dish moves, I hope. If it does work, then I assume reversing the wires to move the dish the other direction...

If it feels stuck, then I will quickly remove the wires. I hopefully I get a chance to try this out this weekend. Been so busy with other yard work. ehheheh.

Reactions: Titanium
Ok, touch those two wires to my 12v marine deep cycle batteries and just see some spark at the wires when I touch them and don't see the dish move at all.. what does that mean? I even held the wires to the battery terminals, but no movement...

Is this from inside the house?
If so, go out to the dish and pop the cover on the motor.
Find two good wires of some kind. Anything close to the proper gauge will work for this test.
Hook them up to the motor and try it right at the dish.
If it works then, you will know the wiring is bad some where.
If not and you still get the sparks, disconnect the actuator from the dish, to see if the dish is froze up some where.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, so now I know how to wire the 3-wire bundle with colors and the label on the receiver where the 3 wires go to...

Next, I have to figure out the 5-wire bundle (the wires have various colors for each wire). The receiver end is not marked, it's got 5-slots for me to thread the wires through. I may not be able to get to the actuator cover... Note that this receiver and C-band dish wiring is all original and was working many years ago when I stored the receiver away (I hand drew the wiring diagram, but lost the hand-drawn note, darn it)...

Also, I can take a picture when I get a chance and re-post as soon as I can...

And I found out the C-band is pointed to 121W satellite, because I used an "Classic NA" FTA/MPEG2 receiver (that was used for Ku-band before) and was able to get a few MPEG2 signals on 121W (eg, BON and RT Today Esp).

I want to use the SRD4000 to move/point the dish to 107.3W to get the CTV channels, etc using the FTA box (but I think I need to get new MPEG4/HD FTA box to get those channels).

If all you want to do is move the dish to another satellite then you can use a standard battery charger and apply 12 volts to the motor wire. If it moves the wrong direction, simply reverse the wires. Be careful not to apply voltage to the sensor wires as you could blow the magnetic reed switch. I've did that several times on a dish without a motor drive box just to position the dish to a different satellite, however, if you want to be able to move it all the time, you'll have to figure out the wiring. Just a suggestion. This works well if you're goingt move the dish and park it on another satellite.

Can you circle where this motor cover is located (see my previous posted pictures)? I see the actuator arm.. is that the motor?

Yes, I did the test inside the house. Again, I don't know where this motor cover is located.. the actual arm looks like a thick pole/piston...

Also, since it's been eight years since I last moved the dish, maybe it needs some WD-40 at the joints ??

actuator2.jpg

Click the thumbnail for larger picture.

The terminals with the larger gauge wire will be the one going to the motor. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)