Need your expert advice - Re: HD receivers

WTRickman

Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I've been with Dish for a while. I have two single tuner 311s. I just bought a 52" HDTV, and am investigating going to an HD receiver and HD package.

I don't qualify for an upgrade, so whats my best way to go about this without having to shell out a bunch of money up front?

My local retailer has the Vip211 for 299.99. That's a little more than I wanted to pay for just a vanilla HD receiver. I have looked on eBay, and there are quite a few 811 and 6000 receivers for sale at reasonable prices. There are also some DVR 921s for sale.

My question is, what do I need to be looking for right now? Receivers to avoid? How much should I expect to pay for a single tuner HD? How about a DVR?

You guys are always full of great info - send some my way, please!

I've been with Dish for a while. I have two single tuner 311s. I just bought a 52" HDTV, and am investigating going to an HD receiver and HD package.

I don't qualify for an upgrade, so whats my best way to go about this without having to shell out a bunch of money up front?

My local retailer has the Vip211 for 299.99. That's a little more than I wanted to pay for just a vanilla HD receiver. I have looked on eBay, and there are quite a few 811 and 6000 receivers for sale at reasonable prices. There are also some DVR 921s for sale.

My question is, what do I need to be looking for right now? Receivers to avoid? How much should I expect to pay for a single tuner HD? How about a DVR?

You guys are always full of great info - send some my way, please!

in order to get all the new channels for HD you need a MPEG4 receiver,these are 211 and 622... the 811, 6000, and 921 will not work to get all the new hd channels. my advice get the 622 and enjoy. its the best receiver ive ever had or used. yes costly but great.

It depends on what you want for programing, if you are only interested in your locals in HD than I would try for either a 921 or 942. HD packages are not going to be activated any longer. If you want them, then you probably want the 622. You may want to wait till you can lease the receiver on an upgrade. I would still call to see if this is an exception due to it being an HD Receiver.

If you do not have HD on your account right now Dish will only activate HD on the 211 or the 622.

Here's another question to add:

My 311 is connected with gold plated composite (Yellow/Red/White) cables to a DVD recorder, which is connected to the TV with component (Red/Blue/Green) cables.

It doesn't look bad. Would it look better, as far as picture clarity, if I had an HD receiver that I could connect directly to the TV with component cables?

:(

If you do not have HD on your account right now Dish will only activate HD on the 211 or the 622.

OOOOH. I see! WTF? What is that all about? Oh well.

Last night, I put in a bid on eBay for an 811, which looks like it is going to go for 31 dollars plus shipping. So, I won't be out much money if I do get it.

The 811 makes either a nice OTA + SD dish receiver or a good second HD tuner for receiving the old VOOM channels.

You should be able to get a beter deal than that on a upgrade. I will PM you a address to try..

Try that address I sent you see what they say garys! Make sure to put in your phone # so they can pull up your acount info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)