Needing Help with my Dish 500

keish24

Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ok..well here is my situation. I have a dish 500 with 2 lnbs on it. One has 110 and the other has 119 on it. There is a Multi-Dish Switch coming off of the coax from the dish. One line is attached to the "dish1" end of the switch and the other line of coax is attached to the "dish2" end of the switch. I have coax running out of the switch and into the back of my receiver. It is an Echostar DV3 MPEG2 Model #3700. When I go into the menu to set it all up I am getting zero signal. I run the test and it just keeps telling me that no switch box is detected. I am not real familiar with all of this and any help anyone can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.

When I go into the menu to set it all up I am getting zero signal. I run the test and it just keeps telling me that no switch box is detected. I am not real familiar with all of this and any help anyone can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.
If it doesn't detect a switch, then your switch, cabling or receiver has probably gone bad.

The first step would be to verify that the receiver is okay by connecting it to a known working antenna setup at a neighbor/relative/friend's house.

Next, I would reconnect everything with known good cables (even if you have to go through a door or window temporarily). This will allow you to remove compromised cabling from the equation. With a ohmmeter, you might be able to check for shorts or an open, but that's kind of involved.

You can also go straight from one of the LNBs to the receiver input to bypass the switch if you don't have enough cables laying around.

Long term, I would replace the existing switch and LNBF assembly with a DishPro Twin.

If the sw21 switch is outside, ill bet you the connection that goes into that is all rusted, you wouldn't believe how many times I went to house with your exact same problem and it turned out to be that. Unscrew the cable that connects your silver square sw21 switch and look for rust, 9 times out of 10 the stinger is missing from rust.

Long term, I would replace the existing switch and LNBF assembly with a DishPro Twin.

or a legacy twin, since you have a legacy receiver

i would check all connectors at the switch to make sure they havent corroded away, then connect each lnb directly to the receiver. that will eliminate the lnbs, receivers, and dish aiming, from being a problem. At which point, replace the SW21

Ive seen it where a receiver wont recognize a switch until it has signal so if the dish hasnt been tuned in yet then this could be the reason, otherwise as others have said you may have a bad switch, bad cabling, or a bad receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)