Needing to transfer to East Arc, couple questions..

Either way, this results in a clunky-looking dish that works, but is still slightly less than ideal.
You mean like this.. LoL.. I got tired of switching lnb's...not perfect but works for me

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_164117644.jpg
    IMG_20200713_164117644.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 114
That was in reply to your post, "I asked my tech to retain my 1000.4, and just put the new hybrid LNB on it." The DPH42 would have eliminated the need for the modified hybrid LNB.
Oh. Well... I agree, that would have worked rather than the LNB swap. But IIRC the DPH42 didn't exist back then.

I may call a local Dish installer to come and take a look and see what they would recommend. Never know they may have some older parts that have been replaced that I can get a deal on......can't hurt to try huh??

Good thing about where I have the Dish installed there is a short 25' run to the house. Any other area with some clean views would greatly increase the cable run. So would like to keep it where it is....

Reactions: NYDutch
Wow! I'm a Dish Tech.

The 1000.4 LNBS has 2 tabs at the bottom where they connect to the LNB Bracket. 1000.2 LNB bracket has no cutouts for the tabs so if your using a 1000.4 on a 1000.2 LNB Bracket and Dish kit, then you're wrong. And I'd be shocked if your signal was more than just marginal
Believe what you wish. The SS on all 3 birds are high 50's - low 60's. Works great.

I have some. I prefer the 3 LNB when I'm RVing. There are still a few DMAs on 77 (CONUS) that I 'move' to when traveling. That way I still get networks while on the road.
A few of those are now mirrored on 72, also CONUS. Those 77 feeds may be going away soon, based on letters Dish is sending some customers with mixed-arc setups, wanting them to schedule a dish repoint.

Every year I get older the lazier I get..lol
I'm not particularly lazy, but I already know that 8 of our next 9 locations will be eastern arc, so I won't be doing a lot of LNB swapping. The 9th location may be EA as well, but we haven't been there before and DishPointer.com is inconclusive on the tree cover.

Are your locals on both East and West arc?
That depends on where we are at the time. We're fulltime RV'ers and change locations fairly often. Right now we're in the Binghamton, NY DMA that is on both arcs, and Friday we'll be moving to Pownal, VT where the dual Albany, NY/Burlington, VT DMA's are also on both arcs.

Sorry been busy. My west feed dish hasn't had anything done to it in 4-5 years so think I will try to see if any tweaks can be done to improve signal before swapping to the east arc. I plan on taking a small TV and receiver out to the dish setup so I can monitor. Instead of hauling my VIP-211K out there can I use my older 301? I know it doesn't do MPEG-4 but aren't there still some MPEG-2 channels and transponders on 110 and 119 I can lock onto? If so what transponders would I look at? Thanks.... We have been watching HD channels from 129 off and on so maybe a tweak will help.

Instead of hauling my VIP-211K out there can I use my older 301? I know it doesn't do MPEG-4 but aren't there still some MPEG-2 channels and transponders on 110 and 119 I can lock onto? If so what transponders would I look at?
No, the 301 will not work. There is still MPEG-2 on Western Arc, but it is all 8PSK now. The 301 will only handle QPSK, which is no longer used. You would need at least a 311 or newer, so your ViP211k would be your best bet. There may still be some QPSK at 118. However, that satellite requires a special LNB, and a dish with a larger reflector. Simply upgrading to a larger dish may help with your signal issues. However, if something is actually blocking part of the signal from getting to your dish, then a re-point to Eastern Arc is still the best bet for a long-term fix.

Reactions: bcsman and TheKrell
I just received my 2nd VIP-211K to use for aiming purposes. So when it quits raining, which may be a few days, I am going out. I did find when I looked at my present west arc setup my skew was off, supposed to be 122 and it was 118 so I did set that and having fewer problems with signal. I will check the azimuth and elevation when I can see how it affects signal strength. Also I do have the Dish 500+ antenna which is larger than my 1000.2 but need to buy the LNB setup for that. Shall see what happens when I can tweak, so it's possible I may not need to re-aim for the east arc. I will post here the results when I can get out there, thanks for all the help....

Well I got out today, rain ended for awhile to do some testing. I mounted a Dish 500 on an old antenna tripod I had sitting around and leveled it next to my present setup, see pic. I got signal on the temp dish and tweaked for best reading. I thought I would compare readings from the Dish 500 to my current setup. I tested 6 transponders, 16-21, on 110 and 119. They both ended up very similar so guess it's what I have. I didn't check 129 but know it's a weaker signal.
110 signal from 54-73
119 signal from 53-68

I then moved the Dish 500 to pick up the 2 east sats to see what I can pick up there. I may not have zero'd in on the signal, I did check 61.5 then had to swing the dish a little to pick up 72 as it's more than 9 degrees apart. Here's what I got there, I checked transponders 1-8.
61.5 from 55-65
72 from 38-47
20210627_152426_HDR.jpg

20210627_161506.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm debating what to do next:
1) Purchase the DPP 500+ LNB for my Dish 500+ antenna and attach a DP single for getting 129 to see if it improves any. I will use my present post.
2) Put another pipe in the ground and get 61.5 to replace 129. My Detroit locals are on 61.5 and most all the HD we watch is there too.
3) Purchase an East LNB for my 1000.2 and just point it that way. Just not sure my signal levels on 72 are really great either, see my above post.
Good to have options....

Reactions: pattykay
Dish 500 .
61.5 from 55-65
72 from 38-47

Those numbers are pretty much spot on what I get when I use a D500 for EA. As long as you're experimenting, spin the 1000.2 Eastward and use the WA LNB to pick up 61.5 and 72. The third eye will come up empty, but IIRC you 'should' get a little better reading on 72.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)