Negotiating a better deal with Dish

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have been receiving a lot of attractive introductory offers from Direct TV and Comcast. If I call Dish and tell them I want a better deal on my package or I will switch to a competitor, will they discount the price to keep me as a customer?

I have been with Dish for about 4 years, and am on auto-pay, etc. so they would not want to lose me as a customer.

This is good if you only want 1 HD DVR . Well to get what I have with E*
3 HD DVR's and 2 SD DVRs it would cost me $497 in startup costs. I have paid a total of $149 to get this equipment with E* Plus I have gotton the HD platinum pack free and Starz and HBO Free for 3 months , Plus Cinemax for a Penny for the last 18 months.
ENJOY your D* service.:rolleyes:
And your HD DVR.:D

This is good if you only want 1 HD DVR . Well to get what I have with E*
3 HD DVR's and 2 SD DVRs it would cost me $497 in startup costs. I have paid a total of $149 to get this equipment with E* Plus I have gotton the HD platinum pack free and Starz and HBO Free for 3 months , Plus Cinemax for a Penny for the last 18 months.
ENJOY your D* service.:rolleyes:
And your HD DVR.:D
So E* gave you 3 HD DVR's and 2 SD DVR's for $149 and all those programming deals when you first became a customer, that's a good deal.

No I got a 622 and a 211 for $49. with Cinemax for a penny with autopay. When I started.
Then I upgraded my 211 for a 612 after 6 months. for $49
Then at my 12 month mark they let me do a Dish n it up program That gave me another Vip 612 .
And last Thursday I dropped my Oldest Vip 612 for a Vip 722 for $49 for getting a 5 star upgrade.
$49x3= $147
and in that Time I've taken atvantage of the Free for 3 months HBO and Starz, and free for 3 months HD platinum.
I have a 612,622and now a 722. So the not leasing past 4 Tuners is not engraved in stone.

Last edited:
From what others have had posted when dealing with Dish, it looks like they'd politely tell you to not let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

I have been receiving a lot of attractive introductory offers from Direct TV and Comcast. If I call Dish and tell them I want a better deal on my package or I will switch to a competitor, will they discount the price to keep me as a customer?

I have been with Dish for about 4 years, and am on auto-pay, etc. so they would not want to lose me as a customer.

Even though we are in a crazy economy environment right now, Companies these days may make an offer to keep you but I dont think that they are afraid to lose customers

From what I saw after looking, their deals are no deals. You need to be real careful to check what channels are in what package. i.e. to get FX HD, you would have to be in their $82.00 package. Dish's Turbo packages have much more bang for the buck.

From what I saw after looking, their deals are no deals. You need to be real careful to check what channels are in what package. i.e. to get FX HD, you would have to be in their $82.00 package. Dish's Turbo packages have much more bang for the buck.
How do you figure that? FX is in the Choice package, http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/chnllineup.pdf?footernavtype=-1 , which is $29.99 for the 1st 12 months plus then you'd need to pay the HD access charge of $9.99 so it's $39.98 for the 1st 12 months.

From what others have had posted when dealing with Dish, it looks like they'd politely tell you to not let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
Yeah, and then apparently call you repeatedly asking why you left, and attempting (mostly in vain since you probably now have a commitment with D*) to get you to come back...

In the time it takes you to cancel, you'll already be replaced. You do the math.

In the time it takes you to cancel, you'll already be replaced. You do the math.

I will be switching to Direct TV pretty soon with that lousy attitude.

The economy stinks right now, and Dish would be foolish to get too arrogant for its own good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)