Negotiating a better deal with Dish

D* would also act the same way. Be prepared to actually leave if you are calling their bluff. Like I said in another post, request to speak to 'Retention" and therefore,avoiding the initial flunkies.

Also, most, if not all of the time, after the initial 12mos are up you would be paying more at D* than E* for equivalent programming. Something to chew on.

Question for the board - I have been a E* customer for a few years now and from what I understand, the Turbo HD program is just for new customers, correct? At least that is what I have been led to believe.

Probably I will leave next time they ask for $30 to fix the Dish or if the receiver goes bad.

And that is only after I add the maintenance fee of $6 which I don't subscribe to.

I am also keeping my eye open for AT&T Uverse as well.

Charlies days are numbered, especially if he doesn't at FBN pretty soon.

I have been receiving a lot of attractive introductory offers from Direct TV and Comcast. If I call Dish and tell them I want a better deal on my package or I will switch to a competitor, will they discount the price to keep me as a customer?

I have been with Dish for about 4 years, and am on auto-pay, etc. so they would not want to lose me as a customer.
Ok, better deals are offered sometimes to some customers. What you need to do is sit down and research D* and Comcast. Figuer out what the best deal for you would be. Call that company and an ask them about it. When they try to scheule the install tell them that you need to speak with your signifigant other and they might offer you an even better deal. (D* did me) If the deal is that great shedule an appointment. Then, call E* tell the first CSR you would like to cancel you account on your new install date. When they ask you why tell them your reason but be polite and nice. They may offer a counteroffer to stay. Tell them no and ask to be canceled. They will transfer you to a cancellation specilist. Tell this person your story and be very nice and polite. Tell them you love your E* service but the money difference is to great, and the new HDDVR is too cheap to not switch. At this point they will reveiw your account and tell you what they can do. If it is decided that you are a good customer and you are polite to them they might offer you a better deal. If not and expceially if you are rude to them they may cancel your account. Be prepared to switch if need be, if you are not happy with what the other company is offering do not even attemp this method. If you are nice and honest they will most likely help you out. YMMV but I have added a 625 to my account and later upgraded that 625 to a 722 all for free with credits and free movie channels using this method.

Why all the Charlie sycophants today?
There's no sycophancy going on here. It's just a growing frustration over people posting here looking for freebees to stay, or proudly proclaim that they're thinking of leaving Dish ("I'm leaving Dish" are common threads lately.)

Call Dish and ask if they can or will do something to keep you. There is no defined plan on their part to try and satisfy you. You'll have to play CSR roulette. If they can't help you, take your business to someone who will.

There's no sycophancy going on here. It's just a growing frustration over people posting here looking for freebees to stay, or proudly proclaim that they're thinking of leaving Dish ("I'm leaving Dish" are common threads lately.)

Call Dish and ask if they can or will do something to keep you. There is no defined plan on their part to try and satisfy you. You'll have to play CSR roulette. If they can't help you, take your business to someone who will.

Or just save everyone including DISH time, and leave anyways. :)

Well, you just met Zero.

Meh. Charlie's a moron. But there's good money to be made in letting the whiners switch. That way, every month or two you aren't spending more than they're paying in programming trying to keep them from threatening to quit. Which the first time you refuse to give them more freebies, they will anyways. Once Charlie gets himself arrested by the SEC, the next CEO should tell all his people that if a customer calls in threatening to quit if they don't get a better deal, to transfer them to D*'s customer service. Speed dial 1.

I am surprised Dish and Direct don't sell each other's service (giving them credit for each customer one sends the other) which would save them money from having to pay the retailers to switch them. If they would allow the hardware that you buy work with either provider then that would save a lot of money in hardware costs for both of the companies.

I am surprised Dish and Direct don't sell each other's service (giving them credit for each customer one sends the other) which would save them money from having to pay the retailers to switch them. If they would allow the hardware that you buy work with either provider then that would save a lot of money in hardware costs for both of the companies.

How funny would it be if they came up with a "three strikes" agreement? If you jumped back and forth three times to take their deals both companies refused you service. ;P

Probably I will leave next time they ask for $30 to fix the Dish or if the receiver goes bad.

And that is only after I add the maintenance fee of $6 which I don't subscribe to.

I am also keeping my eye open for AT&T Uverse as well.

Charlies days are numbered, especially if he doesn't at FBN pretty soon.

One of the funniest statements I've ever seen on here.

How funny would it be if they came up with a "three strikes" agreement? If you jumped back and forth three times to take their deals both companies refused you service. ;P
Ah yes, let's change the whole culture of our society, to one of fear and adversarialism.

Let's encourage large monopolistic corporations to dictate the conduct of our daily lives, and punish us when we don't do what they --our service providers-- say.

Yeah, great idea. Let's reverse thousands of years of human development and remove all cooperativeness and working for mutual benefit, to instead every man for himself, so that any business can strike down any one of us arbitrarily. We each have no meaning or value. We are just a generic commodity... cannon-fodder.

But you're on the right track. We could not have accomplished the economic miracle that is America without your willing capitulation to a system that lies to you and fscks you over at every turn. I would have liked to help you, which was all that I asked. It pains me to see you in wage slavery. It pains me to see you so ignorant and uneducated, and so eager to place yourselves in bondage to Charlie, McDonalds, AT&T, et al. You are diligently working toward being very much diminished, deeper in debt, and less able to improve your circumstances by your own powers, in advocating and defending the powerful multinationals. But because you wish to be flattered more than helped, you will be grateful for your _ss fscking from the corporate elite that is laughing behind your backs today.

I am convinced that one of you here is actually Charlie's kid. And that a couple more of you are weaklings who cling to the hull of the Big Ship and serve as its buffer so it's not scratched by the pier. (viz Slamminc11, Hemi 6.1) Well, suit yourselves.

But do stay in touch after the door slams shut. When you finally tire of living on the modern, corporate plantations of Cargill, Tyson, ConAgra and Smithfield; when you tire of shopping at Wal-Mart and sending your daughters to sling hash at Denny's in hopes that they'll meet the nicer sort of truck driver; when you tire of sneaking into Blue America as illegal white-trash wetbacks eager for casual work dusting our parlors; and when, like men, you finally rise up in rebellion against this immoral usury -- then, and only then, let us talk.

I have been receiving a lot of attractive introductory offers from Direct TV and Comcast. If I call Dish and tell them I want a better deal on my package or I will switch to a competitor, will they discount the price to keep me as a customer?

I have been with Dish for about 4 years, and am on auto-pay, etc. so they would not want to lose me as a customer.

They may give you an offer to keep you. I actually was canceling my E* subscription last fall, basically for a programming issue. I had my D* install all setup and when I called to cancel; retention gave me an offer I could not refuse. Basically the savings they gave to me without a contract extension pays for my NHLCI package. I found another way to get my programming in HD I wanted that they didn't carry, and at the same time E* made me a happy camper.

If you are just looking to lower your bill, it's really easy. Just call up and have the DTV specials and your Dish bill in front of you. Tell them you really like Dish, but in today's economy you have other things to worry about. Ask them if they can meet DTV's specials. Be nice.

They will offer you $5 off for 10 months. You tell them "thanks, but not good enough. I'll call you back to cancel when I have a DTV appointment set up." They will send you to their loyalty team.

You tell them the same thing about the uncertain economy.

I did this and got $40 off a month for 3 months, no DVR fee. Ever again. No HD fee for a year. 3 months of 2 premium movie channels for free and another 622 for free. No installations, no nothing. I did agree to another 24 months which is fine. I could've gotten everything but the free 622 and the no HD fee without another commitment.

few things: be nice but convincing and it took about 45 minutes all together.

Ah yes, let's change the whole culture of our society, to one of fear and adversarialism.

Let's encourage large monopolistic corporations to dictate the conduct of our daily lives, and punish us when we don't do what they --our service providers-- say.

Yeah, great idea. Let's reverse thousands of years of human development and remove all cooperativeness and working for mutual benefit, to instead every man for himself, so that any business can strike down any one of us arbitrarily. We each have no meaning or value. We are just a generic commodity... cannon-fodder.

But you're on the right track. We could not have accomplished the economic miracle that is America without your willing capitulation to a system that lies to you and fscks you over at every turn. I would have liked to help you, which was all that I asked. It pains me to see you in wage slavery. It pains me to see you so ignorant and uneducated, and so eager to place yourselves in bondage to Charlie, McDonalds, AT&T, et al. You are diligently working toward being very much diminished, deeper in debt, and less able to improve your circumstances by your own powers, in advocating and defending the powerful multinationals. But because you wish to be flattered more than helped, you will be grateful for your _ss fscking from the corporate elite that is laughing behind your backs today.

I am convinced that one of you here is actually Charlie's kid. And that a couple more of you are weaklings who cling to the hull of the Big Ship and serve as its buffer so it's not scratched by the pier. (viz Slamminc11, Hemi 6.1) Well, suit yourselves.

But do stay in touch after the door slams shut. When you finally tire of living on the modern, corporate plantations of Cargill, Tyson, ConAgra and Smithfield; when you tire of shopping at Wal-Mart and sending your daughters to sling hash at Denny's in hopes that they'll meet the nicer sort of truck driver; when you tire of sneaking into Blue America as illegal white-trash wetbacks eager for casual work dusting our parlors; and when, like men, you finally rise up in rebellion against this immoral usury -- then, and only then, let us talk.
What is this mess. You don't have E* so go away. Please!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts