Neighbor can't get a a Hooper 3 upgrade

kenvols

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Knoxville, TN
My neighbor called Dish to get his Hooper w/sling updated to a Hopper 3. The told him he couldn't get one in his area because of the Sats he needed. He told them his neighbor had a Hopper 3 and used the same 2 sats.
They then told him he had the wrong dish, but it's the same as mine. Why are they making excuses, he is an old customer like I am. He told me AT&T Direct offered him their latest equipment at no charge so he'll might switch. We are in East Tennessee so I guess no one in this area qualifies.

Well, AFAIK, Dish won't allow an upgrade to a Hopper 3 in the following circumstances:
1. Subscriber has programming off of 118.7 for internationals or possibly a few Local channels still on that sat.
2. No more than ONE H3 and no other dish boxes on the account except 211 models.

There may be a few other reasons I can't recall. There have been exceptions in the past, but as of late it seems Dish is no longer accommodating customers on a case-by-case basis and DIRT seems no longer allowed such exceptions.

It seems that for now, Dish will only upgrade to an H3 if one looks at no more than 3 sats for CORE programming (such as WA 110, 119, 129) only because that is what the hybrid LNBF is capable of accommodating, at that is for ONE H3 only.

Dish is saying "NO" to any H3 installs for more than ONE H3. Currently, to achieve an H3 install for say TWO H3's for core programming only, it would require a second reflector exclusively for the second H3, and that is an expense to Dish. Further, a TWO H3 install for those of us who look at FOUR sats--core plus 118.7 that would require a second reflector for the 118.7 sat for internationals or a few locals--would require a grand total of FOUR reflectors: 2 for one H3, and the other two for the other H3 because each H3 needs one reflector for the core programming and a 2nd reflector for the additional satellite programming. Four reflectors )or just adding 3 to the one on your roof) is even a bigger cost for Dish.

The solution for the above limitations is on the way. A new multi-switch is supposed to be available by late this year. The new switch can ECONOMICALLY provide for TWO H3's installed or even TWO H3's installed looking at FOUR satellites using only ONE reflector. That is economical for Dish. If your neighbor wants to wait for the new switch, he could try when it comes out, or he could allow Dish to drive away further subscribers, such as he, to competitors because Charlie is too cheap or feels the additional acquisition costs will upset Wall Street and hurt Dish stock price. Still, I think it is WORSE business driving customers AWAY from Dish and to competitors. There is the tyranny of Wall Street to consider, but on occasion you have to defy Wall Street for a brief period for the good of the long run and NOT losing subscribers. FWIW, you friend is better off waiting because the H3 has a host of bugs and lacks advertised features that will likely be addressed by the time the new switch comes out.

Best of luck to you and your neighbor.

Well, AFAIK, Dish won't allow an upgrade to a Hopper 3 in the following circumstances:
1. Subscriber has programming off of 118.7 for internationals or possibly a few Local channels still on that sat.
2. No more than ONE H3 and no other dish boxes on the account except 211 models.

There may be a few other reasons I can't recall. There have been exceptions in the past, but as of late it seems Dish is no longer accommodating customers on a case-by-case basis and DIRT seems no longer allowed such exceptions.

It seems that for now, Dish will only upgrade to an H3 if one looks at no more than 3 sats for CORE programming (such as WA 110, 119, 129) only because that is what the hybrid LNBF is capable of accommodating, at that is for ONE H3 only.

Dish is saying "NO" to any H3 installs for more than ONE H3. Currently, to achieve an H3 install for say TWO H3's for core programming only, it would require a second reflector exclusively for the second H3, and that is an expense to Dish. Further, a TWO H3 install for those of us who look at FOUR sats--core plus 118.7 that would require a second reflector for the 118.7 sat for internationals or a few locals--would require a grand total of FOUR reflectors: 2 for one H3, and the other two for the other H3 because each H3 needs one reflector for the core programming and a 2nd reflector for the additional satellite programming. Four reflectors )or just adding 3 to the one on your roof) is even a bigger cost for Dish.

The solution for the above limitations is on the way. A new multi-switch is supposed to be available by late this year. The new switch can ECONOMICALLY provide for TWO H3's installed or even TWO H3's installed looking at FOUR satellites using only ONE reflector. That is economical for Dish. If your neighbor wants to wait for the new switch, he could try when it comes out, or he could allow Dish to drive away further subscribers, such as he, to competitors because Charlie is too cheap or feels the additional acquisition costs will upset Wall Street and hurt Dish stock price. Still, I think it is WORSE business driving customers AWAY from Dish and to competitors. There is the tyranny of Wall Street to consider, but on occasion you have to defy Wall Street for a brief period for the good of the long run and NOT losing subscribers. FWIW, you friend is better off waiting because the H3 has a host of bugs and lacks advertised features that will likely be addressed by the time the new switch comes out.

Best of luck to you and your neighbor.
Neither of your answers apply.
He has only one dish for 69.5 and 72 just like I have. I've had a Hopper since they first came out and had no problem getting installed. We have the exact same setup and they won't listen to him when he tells them.
He has a one hopper and 2 joeys and just wants to update them.

When he told me what they said I told him to call back and get a different CSR. He did and got the same answers. May they have the wrong info in their system.
Is there anyone else he could call?

He has only one dish for 69.5 and 72 just like I have. I've had a Hopper since they first came out and had no problem getting installed. We have the exact same setup and they won't listen to him when he tells them.

When he told me what they said I told him to call back and get a different CSR. He did and got the same answers. May they have the wrong info in their system.

If you have a good local retailer in your area he should call them.

http://www.dish.com/find-retailer/

You'll probably have to use IE or Edge for the lookup as Firefox doesn't seem to work right.

Call a local dealer don't go through dish and see if that works and I wouldn't necessarily mention you've talked to dish about this;)

I think the answer to the question is Dish has a low signal on spot beam in some areas, that the aren't permitting the H3 in certain markets.
But it's very few areas.

It's areas that are on the fringe of the spotbeam that doesn't permit what dish feels is acceptable signal.

Now there is a new Satellite E18 that has way more spots and beam coverage then Eastern arc currently has.

As Far as Mr. LA goes, while he has some valid points, I have no idea where he was going with that post.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

As Far as Mr. LA goes, while he has some valid points, I have no idea where he was going with that post.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Where he was going is his continual argument that it is a financial decision on Dish's part to allow just one H3 on an account. What he prefers to forget is that Dish is working on a new hybrid switch that will allow 2 H3s on a single dish. They are spending money on the development and testing of that switch. It is supposed to be ready for the real world by the end of the year. For the vast minority that would require more than one H3 it makes perfect business sense to move forward with the original plan of a switch rather than complete redundancy of dishes, coax, and hubs to accomplish this task.

Where he was going is his continual argument that it is a financial decision on Dish's part to allow just one H3 on an account. What he prefers to forget is that Dish is working on a new hybrid switch that will allow 2 H3s on a single dish. They are spending money on the development and testing of that switch. It is supposed to be ready for the real world by the end of the year. For the vast minority that would require more than one H3 it makes perfect business sense to move forward with the original plan of a switch rather than complete redundancy of dishes, coax, and hubs to accomplish this task.
Which had nothing to even do with the OP questions.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Update: I told my neighbor to call dish to have his dish aligned, too much rain fade. When the tech came today to align the dish, he told him the story of not being able to get an Hopper3 upgrade, he said that was crazy since he was doing updates for Hopper3 in homes like his everyday. The tech called dish and explained the situation, they then authorized him to install a hopper3. Evidently their records showed he had multiple satellites dishes even though he was currently using a Hopper w/sling and only had one dish and the programming for one dish. He never had multiple dishes. If the CSR's would have only listened to what he was telling them and had looked at his equipment and program packages there wouldn't have been a problem.
Dish needs CSR's with common sense or they will continue to run off customers. Remember he called twice and each time they got the supervisors involved but didn't listen to what he was saying or look at his records. Very sad!

Update: I told my neighbor to call dish to have his dish aligned, too much rain fade. When the tech came today to align the dish, he told him the story of not being able to get an Hopper3 upgrade, he said that was crazy since he was doing updates for Hopper3 in homes like his everyday. The tech called dish and explained the situation, they then authorized him to install a hopper3. Evidently their records showed he had multiple satellites dishes even though he was currently using a Hopper w/sling and only had one dish and the programming for one dish. He never had multiple dishes. If the CSR's would have only listened to what he was telling them and had looked at his equipment and program packages there wouldn't have been a problem.
Dish needs CSR's with common sense or they will continue to run off customers. Remember he called twice and each time they got the supervisors involved but didn't listen to what he was saying or look at his records. Very sad!
That's a huge issue with Dish .
Their CSRs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

That's a huge issue with Dish .
Their CSRs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Tell me about it. I just got off a 25 minute phone call with Retention department for my second account (parents) in my name. I tried to get the Flex pack and keep the pre arranged $35.00 credits off their bill for 6 months ends in November. The woman with a foreign accent (broken English) kept telling me that they couldn't do that and keep the credits. I told her that I just got the same Flex pack deal and kept the $40.00 credits I pre arranged for 6 months that ends in November, on my first account two days ago. She kept saying that they couldn't do that ,even if they already arranged it on my first account. I asked to talk to her supervisor and she put me on hold and said that her supervisor said the same thing she was saying. I said ok, I would call back tomorrow and talk to someone else that can understand me ,because I get a different answer from everyone of the csrs I talk to. They change their Policies as much as I change my underwear. I thought DISH stopped Outsourcing and using Foreign csrs . :censored

I tried to get the Flex pack and keep the pre arranged $35.00 credits off their bill for 6 months ends in November. The woman with a foreign accent (broken English) kept telling me that they couldn't do that and keep the credits.

The agent and her supervisor were correct, credits are very limited with the Flex Pack. Your first account shouldn't have been allowed to keep the credits while switching to the Flex Pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41
The idea behind the new Flex Pack, and Mini Add On Packs, is to get customers into the right programming, at a better price, creating more of a permanent solution, versus a temporary one using credits. So if you have credits already you may not be eligible to get Flex Pack, until the credits expire.

Reactions: ZachS@DISH
The idea behind the new Flex Pack, and Mini Add On Packs, is to get customers into the right programming, at a better price, creating more of a permanent solution, versus a temporary one using credits. So if you have credits already you may not be eligible to get Flex Pack, until the credits expire.
While we're are off Topic, I want to buy a Wally, can I add that to my account yet?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)