Neighbor taking satellite signal??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bmr4242

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
Asheville
I am in an apartment complex. I had D* installed a couple months ago. About 3 weeks ago another installer knocked on the door saying he needed to work on my satellite. I never called for this and was having no problems. I asked him what for and he said to run wires to my neighbors apartment. I told him I wanted no part in this and made sure he left without doing anything. Fast forward to today. I come home from work to find a trench has been dug and there are new wires coming from my dish and into the cable box for a neighbors apartment. I know this can't be standard policy. I have called D* and notified them. They are suppose to have a supervisor call me within 72 hours. Is this my only option? I don't want anyone running a feed off my dish. Anyone have similar problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.

the dish is only a antenna and the whole complex can run off on dish cause each account is different and the reciever id's and card num determine what programming the others will get sooooo no big deal

The dish is on my personal property and I find it incredibly mind blowing that D* would't even seek my permission before coming on my property and running wires and digging a trench. What gets me even more is it is a pole install that I am now paying for and apartment rules stipulate that I MUST remove the dish and pole when I move out.

not for nothing but i would disconnect yor neighbors wires attached to "your" dish just for the simple fact no one asked your permission to plug into your dish . buton a side note had the person asked would you have allowed him to plug into your dish if there is no other way for him to have a los?

if it is on your property then cut the wires that are not going into your house!

buton a side note had the person asked would you have allowed him to plug into your dish?[/quote]

No I already told them no when they tried about 3 weeks ago. That came back and got it done today while I was at work. So not only did they do it without asking today I already denied them permission. Called D* that time and tonight so they have it in notes but I'm wanting to think this has to be signal fraud.

Just cut or disconnect the wires. Done. If they come back and try to reconnect, call the police and charge them with trespassing. They can't come onto your property and connect up to the dish.

Great advice from everybody that does not have to live next to the neighbors. Why make an enemy of the neighbor by doing this?

I understand not wanting to piss off a neighbor but they are in a different building much older and I don't want to have to deal with any hassles of having a shared dish. I see more problems arising down the road. What If I purchase another tv and need the feed they have? If I move the apartment guidelines are that I remove the pole and the dish. Not even to mention I paid for the poll install and went about things the right and legal way they just decided they could use what I paid for without permission and in the process inconvenience me.

I didn't say you shouldn't have the installation company come back out to fix it. I just would not cut the cables like everybody else said. Have the installation company fix it right instead of disturbing the neighbors. They most likely had no idea that this was what was fully going on.

yeah maybe the guy was being lazy - but the fact that he trenched the cable from your dish tells me he took some time to do something. Is it possible your neighbor doesn't have line of sight? I've had to do that at some apartment complexes before - but I asked first.

I didn't say you shouldn't have the installation company come back out to fix it. I just would not cut the cables like everybody else said. Have the installation company fix it right instead of disturbing the neighbors. They most likely had no idea that this was what was fully going on.
D* is suppose to have a supervisor call me tomorrow morning. I am waiting to see what they say before I do anything.

I had to deal with ground loops in my oilfield instrumentation days...seems like this would cause one. I would just remove the cable and act dumb.

If your renting the apartment and you had the dish mounted to the apartment complex, then dish becomes the property of the owner. As a result, you can have more than one person hooked up to a dish. They would have a seperate account and can use that dish to receive directv.
I am in an apartment complex. I had D* installed a couple months ago. About 3 weeks ago another installer knocked on the door saying he needed to work on my satellite. I never called for this and was having no problems. I asked him what for and he said to run wires to my neighbors apartment. I told him I wanted no part in this and made sure he left without doing anything. Fast forward to today. I come home from work to find a trench has been dug and there are new wires coming from my dish and into the cable box for a neighbors apartment. I know this can't be standard policy. I have called D* and notified them. They are suppose to have a supervisor call me within 72 hours. Is this my only option? I don't want anyone running a feed off my dish. Anyone have similar problem or any advice? Thanks in advance.

If your renting the apartment and you had the dish mounted to the apartment complex, then dish becomes the property of the owner. As a result, you can have more than one person hooked up to a dish. They would have a seperate account and can use that dish to receive directv.

Not true. The dish remains the property of the subscriber, not the owner unless the owner arranges to have the dish installed at their own cost. This is especially true in this case, since the OP stated that the dish must be removed when they move out.

Not true. The dish remains the property of the subscriber, not the owner unless the owner arranges to have the dish installed at their own cost. This is especially true in this case, since the OP stated that the dish must be removed when they move out.

No, legally, it belongs to the apartment complex. Technically, anyone adding/removing to the dish would need to contact the apartment complex; this includes the tech who installed the other customer to this dish and if the existing customer wants to disconnect it. The tenant has ZERO rights outside his occupied space (for the argument that its "on my property" only works if its on his balcony/porch). There are good reasons why when you move, Dish/Direc tells you to leave the dish behind... and one of those reasons is because once something becomes affixed (IE: the dish, whether its pole or on a mast), it legally becomes a part of the property.

First, you need to talk to the apartment complex to make sure they did not authorize the tenant/tech to use THEIR dish, then take it up with DirecTV.

Yet another reason why techs, HSPs, tenants and management lothe apartment installs

No, legally, it belongs to the apartment complex. Technically, anyone adding/removing to the dish would need to contact the apartment complex; this includes the tech who installed the other customer to this dish and if the existing customer wants to disconnect it. The tenant has ZERO rights outside his occupied space (for the argument that its "on my property" only works if its on his balcony/porch). There are good reasons why when you move, Dish/Direc tells you to leave the dish behind... and one of those reasons is because once something becomes affixed (IE: the dish, whether its pole or on a mast), it legally becomes a part of the property.

First, you need to talk to the apartment complex to make sure they did not authorize the tenant/tech to use THEIR dish, then take it up with DirecTV.

Yet another reason why techs, HSPs, tenants and management lothe apartment installs

Are you saying that you know the law in the state of the op? I certainly don't, but it is obvious to me that the work was done against his expressed permission. He might want to wait until he finds out if the management gave their permission, whether they had the right to or not, for the work to be done. If they didn't, I would cut the wire myself!

I am in an apartment complex. I had D* installed a couple months ago.

By this statement, I am guessing that DirecTV furnished your installation. And this is all leased equipment. If it is leased then technically the dish belongs to DirecTV and you are just using it. I see no problem with it being used for multiple customers as long as it physically isn't creating issues for your Setup. If you ever need to add more receivers then it might be an issue, but it would be DirecTV's issue to make it work and not yours.. I guess I just share a different viewpoint on this but I don't really see a problem.. An apartment complex is just a little different type of install than if this had been at your house and someone had trenched across your property.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)