Netflix begins raising prices, but current users get a two-year freeze (update)

I really think that this is a pretty fair compromise. No one wants to see rates rise but they haven't increased their prices in about 3 years while cable/satellite basically do it every year. Not only that but when cable/satellite do it they tend to increase it by 4-5$ like Dish did this year. Their costs of all the original programing and general costs going up over time means we had to see a price increase eventually.

Going from $8 to $9 is probably a non-factor for the vast majority of their customers. The fact that they promised to lock in current subscribers rates at $8 for another 2 years was a nice gesture of goodwill too.

The U.S. note sent to members....

A buck here or there is NOT a big deal in the picture of how much I spend on TV...this is my only "sub"...no cable, satellite.

The "price guaranteed" note at the bottom seems rather silly to include. Logic would dictate if you change plans you would buy whatever the
current rates-are, correct? Or, am I appying too much common sense....???

Attachments

• netflix note.JPG
    netflix note.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 250
Really, for all you can get with Netflix, you can't complain about $2. Of course, this is just the beginning, I am sure they will have annual price increases just like the MVPDs do before long.

If reasonable price increases help preserve the company's service, I don't see this as a big deal. We knew it was coming, after all. Compare what you would get for $10 anywhere else...eating out....going TO a movie theatre, or many other options, and by comparison most everyone should find that Netflix is a good value! For heaven's sake, you can't get a "hoity toity" cup of coffee for under $5 now....and people find the bucks for that.

Looks like they're holding to their timeline regarding this increase.

Still a good value.

Agree $10 is good for what you get.
I could Probably be a cord cutter with Just Netflix.
If I didn't have 4 other people pissing and moaning lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm buying a 4K set in the next few months so I will upgrade my Netflix to $11.99 anyways for the 4K streaming.

The U.S. note sent to members....

A buck here or there is NOT a big deal in the picture of how much I spend on TV...this is my only "sub"...no cable, satellite.

The "price guaranteed" note at the bottom seems rather silly to include. Logic would dictate if you change plans you would buy whatever the
current rates-are, correct? Or, am I appying too much common sense....???
That would make sense.

I'm buying a 4K set in the next few months so I will upgrade my Netflix to $11.99 anyways for the 4K streaming.
I just did that yesterday. But unless a whole lot more 4K is offered, I won't be staying at that level long.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Netflix actually IS raising prices more often and is expected to continue. This is the second increase in about 18 months as reported by Mashable. I see expected prices in two years is closer to $15+ for Premium I didn't see a projection for the lesser package. That's because some current agreements will be ending and some entities will feel they can make more money providing their own platform but at the right price will stay with Netflix. Netflix (Who themselves are predicting a push to higher priced packages) also will have more original programming, a major cost. Keep in mind about everything will cost more in two years and that increase may or may not be out of line.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/15/netflix-second-quarter-results-higher-priced-plans

Note I did not link to Mashable in that article is what could be an offensive picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)