Netflix Class Action Settlement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
Just received an email from Netflix that I am a beneficiary of a class action settlement.

My award is:

"Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 and were a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3 DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month. (If you cancel your membership after October 19, 2005 and before you receive the upgrade, you will have to rejoin to get the upgrade.)"

Wow!!!!

Checking the actual settllement agreement, quess was the lawyers are making off the settlement....... $2,528,000

One-month free upgrade vs $2,528,000.....seems fair to me!

Lame, but what was the lawsuit supposed to be about? Netflix strikes me as the greatest thing ever so i'd be surprised to hear what they got the shaft for...

There's some vague reference to Netflix's promise of "unlimited" DVD rentals and "1-Day" delivery as being the root of the lawsuit. The only thing I can think of is Netflix's practice of prioritizing their customers with preference to newer customers. The longer you are there, the more you wait for new releases (or any high demand titles).

CPanther95 said:
There's some vague reference to Netflix's promise of "unlimited" DVD rentals and "1-Day" delivery as being the root of the lawsuit. The only thing I can think of is Netflix's practice of prioritizing their customers with preference to newer customers.
And they've recently changed their Terms of Use,
http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse, to reflect the fact that they do this.

Looking for information on this lawsuit ?? Heh, try Netflix's website... http://www.netflix.com/Settlement?lnkctr=mfStl

rjruby said:
Checking the actual settllement agreement, quess was the lawyers are making off the settlement....... $2,528,000

Please Congress, do something about tort reform !!!

In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service. As a result, those subscribers who receive the most movies may experience that (i) the shipment of their next available DVD occurs at least one business day following return of their previously viewed movie (ii) delivery takes longer, as the shipments may not be processed from their local distribution center and (iii) they receive movies lower in their queue more often than our other subscribers. Other factors that may affect delivery times, include, but are not limited to, (i) the distance between the distribution center from which your DVD was shipped and your delivery address, (ii) the timing of your placement or adjustment of movies in your queue and (iii) circumstances impacting delivery by the U.S. Postal Service.

It's a shame that the result of the lawsuit wasn't ending the practice - only informing us officially of the practice.

i wonder if i am eligible. i will have to check the dates that i have been a member. i usually go a month on month off.

So can I still buy a product made with boiling water, put it between my legs, drive off, and sue the seller when I scald myself?

navychop said:
So can I still buy a product made with boiling water, put it between my legs, drive off, and sue the seller when I scald myself?
I think the only people that can make big money from those type of law suits(bull$hit lawsuits) anymore are the Government and the Lawyers.

rjruby said:
Just received an email from Netflix that I am a beneficiary of a class action settlement.

My award is:

"Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 and were a member on October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3 DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month. (If you cancel your membership after October 19, 2005 and before you receive the upgrade, you will have to rejoin to get the upgrade.)"

Wow!!!!

according to the above, i should qualify. i was a member from 3/04 - 10/04, 4/05 - 5/05, 7/05 - 8/05. Then it says if you were a member on october 19 05. i joined again on 10/16/05. three days before that date. :D

if i don't receive anything from them in a few days, i will drop them a line.

could you send me a copy of the email to my pm box?

thanks.

i just got the email for the settlement. i am currently getting four per month, so i should be getting five when it takes effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)