Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH First Major US Pay-TV Provider to Integrate Netflix

• App available today on second-generation Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR
  • Integration streamlines customers' video entertainment experience
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH today became the first major pay-TV provider in the U.S. to integrate the Netflix app into its set-top box. Available on DISH's second-generation Hopper, the app gives customers the ability to instantly stream Netflix movies and TV shows, including "House of Cards" and "Orange is the New Black," from the same platform used to access their linear television channels. The Netflix app will rollout to DISH customers throughout the day.

Netflix_Home_Screenshot.jpg

DISH integrates Netflix app into its Hopper DVR. (Photo: Business Wire)

"Pairing Netflix with Hopper represents the consolidation of two incredible video experiences," said Vivek Khemka, DISH senior vice president of product management. "This app integration eliminates the need to switch television inputs to access content on varying devices. It gives our customers easy access to their favorite shows and movies, on both DISH and Netflix, without ever having to leave their Hopper."

"As the first major pay-TV provider in the U.S. to add the Netflix app to its set-top box, DISH strengthens an already robust video entertainment experience for its customers," said Bill Holmes, global head of business development at Netflix. "Many households subscribe to both Netflix and a traditional pay-TV service. Our vast library of TV shows and movies, combined with DISH's lineup of live television content, gives customers easy access to a wide variety of complementary programming."

Hopper customers will find the same Netflix user interface found on most other platforms. The app is easily accessible from any channel by clicking the blue button on the DISH remote and selecting the Netflix icon, or from the Netflix icon on the Hopper main menu. Those new to Netflix can create an account in the app or by visiting www.netflix.com/dish.

The Netflix app is currently available on all broadband-connected second-generation Hopper set-top boxes. In the coming months, DISH expects the app to rollout to Joey, Super Joey and Wireless Joey clients. Additionally, in the future, titles available on Netflix could be integrated into the search functionality across live, recorded and Video On Demand programs for both the Hopper as well as DISH's forthcoming OTT service.

This CANT BE TRUE! It's one of the signs of the Apocalypse! Worse than anything Bob has come up with, because it's actually true! :rolleyes

I am gob-smacked.. I'd have laid money it would never happen. Is BB@H long for this world?

I'll bet this brings extra subs to Netflix in the Holiday shopping season.

I have known about this for about 4 months now... and again I am surprised I thought this would be announced at CES.

I too am gobsmacked. Is that a word? So, anybody know why only the 2nd gen Hopper can use this app?

Probably related to processing power.

This is good news for many, but a bummer for me as I have the 1st Gen Hopper.

Hmm I don't see any fine print that says a minimum subscription of Americas Everything Pack is required.:D

Gotta be a hook somewhere.

I have the 1st Gen Hopper (two of them) and I am out of contract.
If I call to upgrade to the current Hopper with Super Joey will I have to sign a new Two year contract to get them for free?
I see Tivo also has Neflix built in. It works with my Cable TV and a Cable card so Dish is not the first to have Netflix.

The monthly Netflix fee.

Yea but....You know dish will have some minimum requirements.At 120 or something,possibly smart pack.Whereas with ps and roku there are no requirements.I'm sure you couldn't cancel your dish sub and still be able to use it for netflix.

Interesting to see how it works... If it comes down through the satellite, it might be a great solution for those with slow internet, data limits or old TVs. I don't see any value for smart TVs with good Internet speed and data limits, not to mention 4k TVs. On My Sammy 4k, press the smart hub button, click on Netfix and it's all there and shows start in seconds - even 4k. Press the input button and I'm instantly back to the Hopper.

Pretty big news for subs of Netflix, I have a app on our sharp TV. I see how it would be a nice touch to not have to click a input button

Hopper app enthusiasts rejoice! :)

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)