Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I saw this post at DSL reports, and happen to imagine that DirecTV will redesign the DVR interface when ATT takes over. I really liked Uverse's interface. With ATT's name coming up in this article, it is a plausible theory to say that we may see some Netflix integration into DirecTV's boxes. How cool would it be to have the ability to watch Orange is the new black in 4k thorough your Directv Box. Perhaps there is a box of all boxes to coming down the line integrating Directv, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, ect. DirecTV's version of a roku killer. This kind of integration is GOOD for Directv as it keeps people using your interface, and grabbing the content they want from all sources, giving the viewer options. Not integrating is not stopping people from subbing to these alternative services any how so why not integrate them and keep people in your interface, and potentially the ability to make all content easier to view without having to change the input button. Dominate input number 1!

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has long dreamed of getting Netflix on the set top boxes of major cable companies. Though smaller companies like RCN and Suddenlink have struck deals, larger companies in the States have spurned these advances for years, seeing Netflix as a competitor they're not eager to give additional attention to. Overseas cable companies like UK Provider Virgin Media and Swedish cable operator Com Hem have had no such reservations, and have been signing such deals for more than a year.

Sources tell GigaOM's Janko Roettgers that Netflix would really like 2015 to be the year that they finally get Netflix on the set tops of the big five providers (AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and Charter). Roettgers claims that one of the companies that keep coming up is AT&T: quote:
I’ve been told by sources with knowledge of the company’s plans that it is getting closer to finalize and announce a deal with at least one of these major operators. One source told me that an announcement may come as early as early next year, but others have cautioned that an actual deal may not be announced until much later. One of the names that kept coming up in chatter about Netflix’s plans was AT&T, but other alliances are also possible.The problem? Given the company's positions on usage caps, net neutrality and most recently interconnection, Netflix is considered public enemy number one by AT&T, Verizon and Comcast policy folk and executives. While we've seen some promo offers including Netflix from these companies, it seems very unlikely that any larger-scale relationships will be taking form anytime soon. Historically, these companies have offered their users Netflix-esque "me too" services to try and keep those viewers in house (it never works).

Maybe these companies' executives can look past their disdain for Netflix if the money's right, but none of them want to drive more traffic to Netflix if they can help it.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Remembering that AT&T is attempting to finalize their buyout of DirecTV, I'm still wondering why AT&T spent the billions on DirecTV instead of fiber build-out.

Who knows? Maybe integration plays like this are perhaps seen as big enough to move the landscape needle that both companies wanted to be prepared for it?

I don't really get their move, and allowing OTT services like Netflix doesn't really do anything for the carrier's bottom lines.

Remembering that AT&T is attempting to finalize their buyout of DirecTV, I'm still wondering why AT&T spent the billions on DirecTV instead of fiber build-out.

Who knows? Maybe integration plays like this are perhaps seen as big enough to move the landscape needle that both companies wanted to be prepared for it?

I don't really get their move, and allowing OTT services like Netflix doesn't really do anything for the carrier's bottom lines.
D* is available in most areas that U Verse will never be available in ... Remember, ATT is only available in I think 22 states, D* is available in ALL of them.

Reactions: Broe67

Actually, it does. By offering a better experience you are keeping customers, as well as generating new ones by word of mouth, and through the experience. Adding OTT stuff is only a small sliver of that experience and is pro consumer. Directv has been doing it for years by offering the best entertainment experience. Also, ATT bought Directv for the spectrum Directv has. Reverse DBS, KA and KU. They have enough bandwidth to kill the competition and then some more. If you had the opportunity to dominate input one and kill your competition you would be crazy not to give it a shot.

I love my Rokus, the only thing that would do is save you from having to change the input on your TV. Not worth the effort.

It's not about that, it about having the whole experience using one box. Look at the success the Xbox one has had, and I know of people who have dropped there rokus and gone over to the XB1.

Reactions: meStevo
Actually, it does. By offering a better experience you are keeping customers, as well as generating new ones by word of mouth, and through the experience. Adding OTT stuff is only a small sliver of that experience and is pro consumer. Directv has been doing it for years by offering the best entertainment experience. Also, ATT bought Directv for the spectrum Directv has. Reverse DBS, KA and KU. They have enough bandwidth to kill the competition and then some more. If you had the opportunity to dominate input one and kill your competition you would be crazy not to give it a shot.

Hopefully we are correct then -- as well as the other reply talking about DirecTV's footprint versus U-verse.

I'm definitely all-in for such integration, especially if it keeps pricing simmered down :)

I wonder if this got Dish attention to announce today instead of CES?
Scott. Any thoughts?

Love Netflix and youtube on my Tivo. The other ones (Hulu, Amazon prime, vudu) I dont use
Me too. I love my Roamio. Been calling to get 9-1 WFTCDT2 to fix it's affiliate to show Fox, somehow it displays MyNetworkTV. Good device, but I don't know how many times I called to have that corrected, so I give up and that and will just put up with it. They also got to add 18-99 from my market as well and haven't. I even called Tribune Media on that one, but it's still not there.

Another point is ce software... obviously this feature would hit ce long before a nr push... so I see this taking quite a while before we see it live. Look how long mrv was in ce with homeplugs... and the new guide.... a major feature like this even if it is just a plugin... will probably take a while.

Remember, ATT is only available in I think 22 states, D* is available in ALL of them.

I get your point, but it is even worse than that. ATT is only available in the urbanized part of 22 states. D* is available in (virtually) ALL parts of ALL of them.

The costs of serving (or serving well) the 40% of the country that lives outside urban cores is only logical from the sky.

I get your point, but it is even worse than that. ATT is only available in the urbanized part of 22 states. D* is available in (virtually) ALL parts of ALL of them.

The costs of serving (or serving well) the 40% of the country that lives outside urban cores is only logical from the sky.
This is a major reason why ATT is acquiring D*.
Bandwidth being another.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I would have never thought having Netflix on my receiver would be a big deal, given that I can access it from my blu-ray player, my Apple TV, and my Fire Stick, but I find myself using it on the Dish Hopper all the time, providing a convenience that is impressive. I suspect that increases the pressure on DirecTV to follow-suit.

This is a major reason why ATT is acquiring D*.
Bandwidth being another.

Most of this topic (merger/ acquisition) and its comments here are ....
Like stabbing at ghosts. (Smh)
Look south outside the US (Latin America) for some solid validity.
22 states is correct at least.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)