Netflix keeps reverting back to HD

John Campbell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
I have a 4K TV on my Hopper3 and it works well, but it seems to daily revert back to only having HD available. I'm not sure the pattern yet. The only way, it seems, to get Ultra 4K access back is restart the Hopper. Leaving the Netflix App or restarting the app and coming back in does not help.

Any ideas?

Reactions: charlesrshell
TBH, I have Netflix on my Hopper 3, my WiFi Joey, my TV's and my Firestick. I never use it on my Hopper or Joey because those are the only ones I ever had issues with. Usually freezing up and having to back out and start over. Never had that problem with the TV's or Firestick. I think it's nice that they have it on the receivers, but I'll stick to using what works

Netflix measures the download speed and gives you the picture quality that works best for the measured download speed. For some reason the measurement through Dish equipment is always lower than through my TV. I was told you need more than 25 Mbps for 4k and 10 Mbps for HD. The max I get is 5 Mbps. Fortunately ,my 4K TV upscales well. Sometimes I have to use Netflix through the TV to get a smooth stream. Through the Dish equipment I get constant stops to allow downloading.

I don't have 4k but I tried this. Netflix thru the Dish H3 is 1081i. The same feature using Roku is 1080p. My down load speed is about 90mbps.

My bandwidth is usually very high. I got 80mpbs today. A reset of the hopper always fixes it, but that is a pain. To me, it's clearly a bug somewhere. :(

I enjoy the convenience as other streaming options require fumbling for another remote, but it's definitely starting to get on my nerves.

My bandwidth is usually very high. I got 80mpbs today. A reset of the hopper always fixes it, but that is a pain. To me, it's clearly a bug somewhere. :(

I enjoy the convenience as other streaming options require fumbling for another remote, but it's definitely starting to get on my nerves.

If you use the Netflix app on the 4K TV. Instead of the Hopper. Are there any issues? Curious.

It's not a smart TV. My only 4K streamer is on the Hopper.

What type of monitor or screen are you using? Brand, Size? Interested in your setup. I did not think there is a 4K TV/display that is not a smart TV? I think Specter made one about two years ago. Display might be some of your issue. Must be recognized as a 4K display. To see the 4K choices which is why you have to reboot. Just guessing. Merry Xmas!

I've had the exact same issue, only not quite as often. I've seen it happen probably 3-4 times in the few weeks that I've owned my 4K Vizio 70" TV. I've got 100Mbps down and usually test at a little higher than that so I'm sure it's not a bandwidth problem unless the Hopper is somehow reading my speed as low.

A way to test how your H3 reads your download speed is to try downloading a 4K program. Go to video on demand on the menu and scroll down to 4k movies and shows. Select the free National Christmas Tree lighting and try the 4K download. I always get the 1518 error message signifying insufficient bandwidth. So my Netflix will never be able to show me 4K on the H3.

Reactions: GooberedUp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)