Netflix Monitors Piracy Traffic

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
On NPR this morning, it was reported Netflix monitors online piracy which then uses the figures to decide what to offer next.

Smart business IMO!

Cheers, K

I guess I'm naive.....how in the world does one monitor piracy for their (streaming) business model?
Were they referring to non-subscribers using the service or the stealing of movies being streamed?

Seems this effort is a far cry from a company which tries to better serve it's happy, paying customers.

They are looking at what shows or movies are being pirated on the internet before they are available to places such as netflix. The ones that are heavily pirated are ones Netflix knows people wants so they work to get rights for those shows and movies.

?There are companies that track pirated downloads. So they have good numbers out there.

Perhaps the pirate sites have rankings of the most popular downloads?

Probably this. The anime site I use even lets you sort my most downloaded. 65,000 downloads for the most popular series. Of course, it's an anime tracker, so only one of the top ten is available on Netflix, and only on disc. Hulu seems to be keeping up on things too.

So, when is Netflix going to put Game of Thrones on streaming?? Isn't that the #1 torrent show on the net? Seriously I kept checking Netflix every week for new movies or premium TV series, but they are not really adding much. Much of the TV shows you got you could actually stream them online at the network's own website or at Hulu for the newest seasons. And forget about movies. The new movies selection is getting worst and worst. I am only keeping it because my son is watching cartoons on it.

So, when is Netflix going to put Game of Thrones on streaming?? Isn't that the #1 torrent show on the net? Seriously I kept checking Netflix every week for new movies or premium TV series, but they are not really adding much. Much of the TV shows you got you could actually stream them online at the network's own website or at Hulu for the newest seasons. And forget about movies. The new movies selection is getting worst and worst. I am only keeping it because my son is watching cartoons on it.

My guess is never. HBO doesn't let Netflix or Amazon Prime have streaming for any of their shows. iTunes and Amazon who typically get new episodes from cable channels the day after they air don't even get HBO shows until after they are available on DVD for $2.99 per episode. They limit the availability of their shows to keep people subscribing to HBO. The only way to stream Game of Thrones without paying for the season or individual episodes is through HBO Go.

My guess is never. HBO doesn't let Netflix or Amazon Prime have streaming for any of their shows. iTunes and Amazon who typically get new episodes from cable channels the day after they air don't even get HBO shows until after they are available on DVD for $2.99 per episode. They limit the availability of their shows to keep people subscribing to HBO. The only way to stream Game of Thrones without paying for the season or individual episodes is through HBO Go.

I would happily pay for HBO GO just for Game of Thrones if I could. Cut out the cable company, let me give my money straight to HBO since they produce some good quality shows. Maybe one of these years...

I would happily pay for HBO GO just for Game of Thrones if I could. Cut out the cable company, let me give my money straight to HBO since they produce some good quality shows. Maybe one of these years...

TWC is doing that. Right now for 30 or 50mbit/sec tiers you can get basic cable (locals) and free HBO for a year for $79 for 30 or $89 for 50mbit, cheaper than just the standalone internet price. Of course after a year who knows what the price will be (no contracts either).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts