Netflix on 360

Watched a few episodes of Red Dwarf then played with the HD selection (not very good as of yet - the selection not the quality).

Defiantly worth the wait though. :D

Yeh i finally got my netflix up and going ..Its awesome but pisses me off that half the movies that were on last not arent avaidable now that sony is being a bunch of a**holes..What the deal i mean its stupid they will make money cause of the lic. oh well who cares WTG Xbox this was a kool upgrade.

Streaming HD from Netflix takes a lot of Bandwidth. If you don't have a 15meg or plus service don't try it. Stick to SD. My 20 meg fios is supplying enough bandwidth to make it a 2.5meg transfer rate.

It doesn't hiccups Netflix degrades the video quality in the stream based upon your network connection. The slower the connection the worse it degradation.

"Our first-gen PC streaming player uses 1-4 bars to represent the delivered quality, representing 500, 1000, 1600, and 2200 kbps. The 3400kbps encodes are represented as 4 bars. The player measures bandwidth once at the start of the title, and chooses a bitrate for delivery that has at least 40% headroom from the measured speed.

The Roku, LG, and Samsung, players use four dots during buffering in the same way, and Xbox has 4 bars just like the PC player. The TiVo player has a similar display, but with 10 thin bars.

The Silverlight player is currently more opaque, since it picks the stream to deliver dynamically. If your connection slows, as the buffer empties, the player starts buffering a lower bitrate stream and switches seamlessly across. Conversely, if the buffer fills rapidly again, the player can pick a higher bitrate stream. (Note that if Outlook (or some other large application) decides to wake up and refresh your email in the middle of a movie, Silverlight might be starved of CPU and drop some frames; this may cause the player to conclude that it should switch to a lower bitrate stream that won't overload the CPU. Today, we haven't figured a reliable way to determine that the CPU is again underutilized and permit switching back up again, so my advice is to close Outlook and similar periodically expensive applications prior to playing the movie!)"

The Official Netflix Blog: Encoding for streaming

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I was wondering if DD was in the plans. Sounds like it's not happening anytime soon. I'm encouraged most everyone enjoys the HD PQ. I'll just have to wait till I see it on my ROKU.

So very lame. Sony has made Netflix not allow Xbox users to stream Columbia House movies (Sony owns that studio) to the Xbox 360. Works on all PCs and all other Netflix compatible STBs other than the Xbox.

It *is lame. I've never really liked Sony. Only Sony product in my house is a PS3. If M$ ever comes out with a Blue Ray player, PS3 will be history in our house.
So far, the streaming quality is very good. Looks like Netflix already has a 360 update. Most likely to resolve issues from this morning.

This is not Sony being lame. This is a licensing issue. Those movies haven't been licensed for play on the XBox 360. There are other Sony studios properties that are licensed and are available. Don't bash a company in ignorance.

Evil Avatar - Columbia Pictures Pulls Movies From Xbox Netflix

Here's a quote from another report:

It appears that the sudden yoinking of Columbia Pictures films from NXE Instant Queue access is a licensing issue with Sony after all. MTV Multiplayer pinged us with word that, on the rental service's official blog, Netflix corp. communications VP Steve Swasey writes:

"As watching instantly becomes a more prominent part of the Netflix service, our goal is to have all of our streaming content licensed for all of our partner devices. We're doing well in this area, but it will take some time before we fully achieve that goal. Today, titles regularly come in and out of license and there is a natural ebb and flow to what we have on license at any given point in time. In the case of Xbox 360, a few hundred titles are temporarily unavailable to be streamed via the Xbox game console. Those titles are still available to be watched on subscribers' computers and on TVs via other partner devices, and we hope they'll be licensed for Xbox 360 shortly."

NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies [update 2] - Joystiq

I don't believe Sony's statement and from the comments I've seen people make, most people don't believe Sony either. Besides why would the error message people got specifically say "this item cannot be streamed TO YOUR XBOX" if the issue wasn't an Xbox only problem like Sony claims.

This is not Sony being lame. This is a licensing issue. Those movies haven't been licensed for play on the XBox 360. There are other Sony studios properties that are licensed and are available. Don't bash a company in ignorance.

Evil Avatar - Columbia Pictures Pulls Movies From Xbox Netflix

Here's a quote from another report:

NXE Netflix streaming loses Sony's Columbia Pictures movies [update 2] - Joystiq
Look.. Sony had AMPLE time to clear up their licenses. When was it announced that the 360 would be able to stream video via Netflix? I'm sure this will be resolved, but don't think for a minute that this is just a coincidence. This is typical corporate Bullsh!t and them trying to be as much of d*cks as possible. I bet you this won't be resolved before Xmas.

I tried it out, no problems streaming HD content (around 6 Mbps down).

PROS
Very good HD quality, if you can find content.
Convenience.
Unlimited streaming

CONS
Limited HD content
SD quality sucks on a large viewer (65" TV for example)

I currently have Blockbuster Total Access, and love the convenience of swapping discs at the store. It is more $ than Netflix. If Netflix can increase their HD streaming content I may switch, but for now I'll be canceling my trial membership and sticking with Blockbuster.

SD wasn't as bad as say cable... not as pretty as HD obviously.. but the HD works well at 6 megs.. I can't wait for more content.. this is the future of tv.. once they have more content.. i don't see myself subscribing to HBO, MAX, STARZ, SHO, etc..

Look.. Sony had AMPLE time to clear up their licenses. When was it announced that the 360 would be able to stream video via Netflix? I'm sure this will be resolved, but don't think for a minute that this is just a coincidence. This is typical corporate Bullsh!t and them trying to be as much of d*cks as possible. I bet you this won't be resolved before Xmas.

It's business. Of course it's not a coincidence. Sony is leveraging studio ownership to their advantage. Does that make then "d*cks"? Not really, it makes them smart business people.

Microsoft would do the same thing, if not more, if the shoe was on the other foot. Their corporate history is full of such shenanigans.

I think we'll see it eventually, even if it's due to this competition. I think Sony would rather not have it and instead fine tune and flesh out their PPV offerings.... that's one area where MS got to flex their release advantage, they've had some good success with the video marketplace.

Would suck (for PS3 fans) if they instead opted to provide the new Blockbuster PPV service lol.

I think we'll see it eventually, even if it's due to this competition. I think Sony would rather not have it and instead fine tune and flesh out their PPV offerings.... that's one area where MS got to flex their release advantage, they've had some good success with the video marketplace.

Would suck (for PS3 fans) if they instead opted to provide the new Blockbuster PPV service lol.
Ewe that would suck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts