Netflix on PS3 goes 1080p and 5.1 DD

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
I thought this announcement was worth starting it's own thread. It's also getting disc-free interface beginning next Monday. From the Playstation Blog

If you instantly watch movies and TV shows from Netflix on your PS3, here is the news you’ve been waiting for: starting Monday, October 18 you’ll be able to instantly watch movies and TV shows without inserting an instant streaming disc into your console.

In addition to eliminating the disc, there is a new user interface that brings a much richer and faster browsing experience, content search directly on the device, and dramatic improvements in how fast playback starts.

There is even more good news for PS3 owners: starting on Monday you’ll be able to instantly watch some movies and TV shows in 1080p high definition, listen to Dolby 5.1 channel surround sound, and view an increasing portion of our content library with subtitles. This will bring the home theater experience right to your living room and make instantly watching movies even more enjoyable. Here’s a news release from Netflix and Dolby with details.

Netflix on PS3: Disc-free Next Week – PlayStation Blog

Dolby Digital Plus!

Here's an excerpt from the Netflix/Dolby press release:

LOS GATOS, Calif. and SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) and Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB) today announced that Netflix has selected Dolby® Digital Plus to deliver 5.1-channel surround sound for TV shows and movies streamed instantly over the Internet. Beginning October 18, the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. will be the first consumer electronics device to support 5.1-channel surround sound on movies streamed from Netflix. Netflix said more devices would be added over time to support streaming digital surround sound.

"Netflix is committed to delivering an unparalleled experience to its members who watch TV shows and movies streamed instantly over the Internet," said Greg Peters, Netflix vice president of product development. "Netflix required an audio solution that could efficiently deliver an outstanding surround sound experience for a wide range of consumer devices. Dolby Digital Plus proved to be the best solution to meet our needs and the needs of our device partners."

Dolby Digital Plus supports up to 7.1 channels of premium-quality surround sound and allows consumers to enjoy outstanding high-definition audio from broadcasts, streaming and downloaded media, and Blu-ray Disc™. To date, tens of millions of TVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray Disc players, Audio/Video receivers, and mobile phones have shipped with Dolby Digital Plus.

Netflix Taps Dolby for High-Definition Audio - Oct 14, 2010

The guy in the video says 1080i while the article was written with a crossed out 1080i and then 1080p. So which is it going to be?

The guy in the video says 1080i while the article was written with a crossed out 1080i and then 1080p. So which is it going to be?

Most likely 1080p. It would make the most sense compression wise to send 24fps 1080p for movies and let the PS3 handle the conversion to 1080i 60fps if needed (or 720p/480 if needed).

I wonder if the wii netflix will be going disc free as well.
Got an answer to my query.
Wii will be disc-less too.

Netflix On Wii Goes “Discless” [Netflix On Wii No Longer Requires Wii Game Disc, Wii Gamers Can Stream Right From Wii Menu] » TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

It seems like just yesterday that the Wii gained the ability to stream Netflix movies (it was April, actually). But, Wii owners are gaining something the Xbox 360 owners (and other set-top boxes) may take for granted. Starting soon, Wii owners will be able to ditch that Netflix disc and will be able to stream movies right from the Wii Menu.

I downloaded and intalled the Netflix app this morning. Went very quickly. Hardest part was remembering my Netflix password. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a browsing section to find the 1080p/5.1 content, but if you click for more info on any title the 5.1 will appear if available.

I first experimented with a season 4 episode of 30 Rock and when I hit the display button on my ps3 remote, it showed X-High/HD and 5.1 audio (On my Panny plasma info screen, it, and everything else, including SD content on Netflix, showed 1080p while streaming). Most HD content on Netflix I checked displays High/HD, which I assume isn't the full, non-upscaled 1080p as indicated by X-High/HD (again, just making an assumption here).

While the quality of the 30 Rock episode was quite good, especially the sound, the video quality was close, but certainly didn't surpass what I get from the cable TV broadcast (NBC broadcasts in 1080i, correct?). Not that I was expecting it to surpass HD cable, but with 1080p, I was hopeful.

All in all, I am very happy with disc-less streaming and as new titles get added, I'm sure the quality will continue to improve.

So I can download the Netflix app now instead of using a disc?

Feels like Christmas, great news. My kids were forever losing that disc.....I wonder if Netflix's other streaming apps are updated as well to allow for 1080p. I have a Vizio VBR231 Bluray upstairs that I would love to stream 1080p to via Netflix like I do with Vudu.

Netflix is suppose to make 1080p/5.1 available to other devices as well.

When is the question.

Not all devices will be capable of 1080p, like my year and half old Roku, though 5.1 would be nice (The Roku does 5.1 for Amazon's HD content.).

Yep. I will upgrade to the newer Roku as soon as Netflix starts streaming 1080p. Move the one I have now to the bedroom.

Updated my PS3 Netflix. Kids are watching a show with it right now. Was finally able to toss my Netflix discs (had a few spares as the kids would constantly misplace them).

The new GUI is a real improvement as well.

Not all devices will be capable of 1080p, like my year and half old Roku, though 5.1 would be nice (The Roku does 5.1 for Amazon's HD content.).

Yep. I will upgrade to the newer Roku as soon as Netflix starts streaming 1080p. Move the one I have now to the bedroom.

If you have a Roku HD-XR, that will be updated, the other 2, not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts