Netflix Opts for Blu-Ray High-Def DVDs

Many posts I have seen state that people had to wait for HD DVD's to ship as they were always long waits. So there was either plenty of demand or they just did not stock enough HD DVD. This is definitely not good news. You have to wonder if there were some back room deals that influenced their decision, as I am sure there has been lots of demand and the demand was growing. If I was a Netflix user, I would be looking at Blockbuster online, as they still seem to have HD DVD, though just like Netflix, they usually had waits to get HD DVD's.

Netflix needs to get on the ball. All the Blu-ray movies in my queue are all VERY LONG WAIT! I got We are Marshall 1 week before it was on HBO and it was in my queue form the release date!

Blockbuster refusing to expand HD DVD nationwide was the reason I went with Netflix. This sucks.

I will sell what I can and maybe buy the good Universal and Paramount exclusives. However, this cuts off our air supply (can't rent American Gangster or Beowulf in high def?). It was hard enough with Blockbuster.

Why couldn't Netflix and Warner at least wait until profile 2.0 players came out or at least let Toshiba force Blu-Ray players don't to $250? Netflix probably got paid, too.

The inferior format has pretty much won short of a miracle coming around.

I honestly think they've already been told what we know, Paramount and Universal had made their decision to back blu at least neutrally. Its just a matter of getting everything in place.

Netflix has been taking heat for long waits on BD titles, why spend your energy on both, go with the leader. As stated before, the retail industry is putting this baby to bed.

This is GREAT news and only means that Universal and Paramount are on the horizon.

Cant wait to hear the spin on this one.

As a 'purple' owner of both formats, I've been giving the HD-DVD camp as much slack as possible in the "rumors of my death are premature" tug-of-war that's been going on since the Warner announcement...

But this is a huge sign that the end really is near.

As suggested above, Netflix doesn't make a decision like this in a vacuum. They've had to have been privy to some info on Universal and Paramount's plans to make a decision like this as they've ALWAYS prided themselves on being a rental customer/completists dream...i.e. if it's out there, they carry it. This shows they see the writing squarely on the wall for the format.

I empathize w/ the red-only crowd. The films A/V quality are often stellar, but just remember that you'll get to enjoy them for a while to come--the benefit of digital disc. Not like its a tape format that will wear-and-tear and suffer dropouts, etc. So chin up, buckaroos. And by the time you've licked your wounds sufficiently, the Blu-ray players will be even cheaper and there will be more titles to choose from.

One wonders if the rental companies were not getting discs because they were format neutral. Maybe by going BD exclusive Netflix will be guaranteed a supply of BD.

I think people are forgetting that after May of this year there won't be that many new HD-DVD titles to rent anyway. Easy decision for Netflix IMHO.

One wonders if the rental companies were not getting discs because they were format neutral. Maybe by going BD exclusive Netflix will be guaranteed a supply of BD.

Ironically, literally just minutes before checking out the forums and reading this thread I put my Netflix account on hold to see if I would have better luck getting BDs from Blockbuster. So far, online supplies definitely look worse than what I could get from Netflix, but at least I can trade in store, and my nearest one has a good supply of BDs. I'll give it a month, and then probably go back to Netflix, by which time they'll hopefully have a better supply.

I'll give it a month, and then probably go back to Netflix, by which time they'll hopefully have a better supply.

There is not doubt that Netflix negotiated some sort of product stock agreement with BD in exchange for exclusivity.

Me too...although I can't image anyone being able to make a persuasive argument.

Well, for an example, a goof on AVS made the statement that a "year from now" was hardly dropped.

By refusing to read into it and realizing they wont be replacing anymore copies and allowing it to phase itself out(they estimate by EO 2008) he allows himself to remain delusional.

Yes, Netflix will still have copies for rent, but theyll dwindle and wait times will increase.

Goods news for me is that Netflix will devote HDm spending power to BD and hopefully decrease wait times.

Another goof over there said that this was great because HD-DVD guys will now have to buy instead of rent, therefore increasing the sales of HD-DVD. :haha

Finally, many proclaimed they'd cancel. Doesn't leave them many choices for renting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)