Netflix Picture Quality

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
The last month or so I've noticed the pq on Netflix go way down. I'm using a Roku HD which is 720p and I also use the Chromecast which is 1080p. I have AT&T DSL 6 mps but it is consistent 5.5. The stream is soft and pixelated. Use to be as good as Directv hd but no where close now.
Anyone else?

No trouble here, pic quality still looks good. When a show is just starting it usually looks pretty bleak, however within 30 secs it looks great. My speed is similar to yours & dsl here also.

About the only time I recall a quality issue with Netflix was Feb 15 with a few episodes of House of Cards S02. Quality would suddenly drop from HD to something much less, remain that way for seconds to minutes, then go back HD. I kind of assumed it had to do with capacity on the Netflix end with all the HOC binge watchers. It certainly wasn't the Comcast Biz connection. I can sustain 30Mbps down all day long, only limited by the max speed of my ancient modem.

Thought AT&T was doing the same as Comcast. Only thing is I know I wasn't using streaming too much.
Called AT&T and they said they won't throttle down but will charge for overage.
Amazon streams a little better pq and shows hd streaming. Though still not what it use to be. My Roku shows excellent wifi.

Thought AT&T was doing the same as Comcast. Only thing is I know I wasn't using streaming too much.
Called AT&T and they said they won't throttle down but will charge for overage.
Amazon streams a little better pq and shows hd streaming. Though still not what it use to be. My Roku shows excellent wifi.
Comcast, Verizon & AT&T were all throttling the speed of Netflix during the evening hours (and weekends). They all denied it officially though. My Netflix PQ has been horrible lately and I had constant buffering (on Comcast). Today it was announced that Netflix and Comcast had reached a deal to end "throttling". http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/331576-Comcast-and-Netflix-reach-deal

I've never had any buffering. Will soften during the program but never gets to hd quality.
I've checked the speeds during the stream and do get 5.5 mps.
When I had 3 mps I could stream hd sometime.

According to speedtest and Xfinity, I am getting 50/10. During the evenings, I was only getting 2.5 mbps for Netflix. However, I was able to get HD PQ using Amazon.

This hasn't happened to me with Charter. I've consistently gotten the top quality streams. I really don't like this deal Netflix made with Comcast though. This is just providing an incentive for all the other ISPs to start throttling Netflix data. Now they know that if they start making Netflix unwatchable they will get rewarded for it when Netflix offers them a deal to fix it.

According to speedtest and Xfinity, I am getting 50/10. During the evenings, I was only getting 2.5 mbps for Netflix. However, I was able to get HD PQ using Amazon.

Sometimes those speedtest are misleading. For Example that speedtest server could be peering with comcast which would always come back full speed unless the CTMS is getting slammed because its not really going over the internet just Comcast's network.

I had to block 173.194.55.0/24 to get youtube working on my TW Cable modem perhaps look around for a better route to netflix.

Last edited:
Today it was announced that Netflix and Comcast had reached a deal to end "throttling".
Net neutrality aside, Comcast promised not to "disadvantage" IPTV players as a condition of the NBC Universal merger. Such an promise shouldn't disappear based on someone else's court case.

Whatever the cause, noticed significant PQ loss on Netflix after having just renewed for House of Cards...Uverse 12mbps.

Whatever the cause, noticed significant PQ loss on Netflix after having just renewed for House of Cards...Uverse 12mbps.

AT&T
Comcast
Verizon

Lots are saying the PQ on those providers is bad. Which makes me think they will soon sign deals with Verizon and ATT. Wonder what that will make the cost go to for a sub?

I noticed Comcast has slowly reduced my download speeds over the past 2 years from 48Mbs to now 20Mbs. They have sent me a mail ad wanting me to pay more now to get my original 50Mbs speed back.

Note- I also have a business account. My speed does not vary based on time of day. Anytime I check it it runs nearly the same.

However, with Netflix, I only get 12Mbs so this is definitly being throttled back. I normally do not see a problem watching Netflix except when viewing 3D "super HD" listings. These nearly all buffer for awhole and a few tell me "the network is too slow to stream this show, try again later" Netflix says I need 15Mbs to properly stream 3D Super HD content. So, if they weren't throttling I should not have a problem with 20Mbs down. But I am and this latest disclosure is what probably is the reason.

I don't believe in paying for speed unless I plan to use it. The only reason I feel I need more than 20Mbs is to watch 3D programs from Netflix. If I can get the 3D movies to stream with the planned deal, I won't bother to make the upgrade. If not, then I suppose I should give the 50Mbs upgrade a test run. I suppose if my household had kids and we streamed several HD movies at the same time, I would need more than 20Mbs.

After trying my 2 roku hd's and Chromecast, I have decided it's the Netflix on both the Rokus hd that's the problem. I used all 3 on my projector setup to easily see issues.
Netflix on Chromecast on my fp gives me the close to blue ray pq I've been missing.
Anyone else have Roku and Chromecast?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)