Netflix shows wrong Network

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
After my nightly reboot the Netflix app on my Family Room Hopper3 will have the wrong IP address 169.254.120.96 even though the Family Room Hopper3 has the correct IP address of 192.168.1.21.

When this happens the Netflix servers 1,2,3, and 4 will all have X showing they are not connected. Although Netflix still works for 1080i content it will not do any 4K content.

The solution is to reset the Family Room Hopper3 network. The Netflix app will then have the correct IP address of 192.168.1.21. All 4 Netflix servers will show a green check mark and 4K content will play.

My router is hard wire connected to my Living Room Hopper3 and my Family Room Hopper3 uses a moca connection for internet. I do this because Dish told me that I should only have 1 gateway connection. My assumption is that during the nightly reboot the Family Room Hopper3 tries to connect before the Living Room Hopper3 is finished connecting. I am guessing that the 169.254.120.96 address is a moca address. When I reset the network on the Family Room Hopper3 it then uses the correct IP address of 192.168.1.21 and everything works correctly. What baffles me is that Netflix has the incorrect IP address while the Hopper3 has the correct IP address.

Anybody having trouble watching 4K Netflix content on their Hopper3 should check the Network settings in the Netflix app. Go to settings (gear), and select “Check your Network”. I have found that anytime the IP address shows up as 169.254.xxx.xx I will not show connections to the 4 Netflix servers and I am not able to watch any 4K content. On the other hand, I have found that anytime I am able to see all 4 Netflix servers I can play 4K content.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: JSheridan
Anytime a network connected device can't find a DHCP server to issue it an IP address, it self issues an "APIPA" (Automatic Private IP Address) in the 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254 range. The device will then periodically look for a network DHCP server (usually integrated with the router) and will update the address when one is found. Often times when a DHCP server isn't found after a reboot, it's a timing issue that prevents the device from finding the DHCP server. Basically, it may look for it before the network connection is completed under some conditions.

Reactions: dweber
Anytime a network connected device can't find a DHCP server to issue it an IP address, it self issues an "APIPA" (Automatic Private IP Address) in the 169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254 range. The device will then periodically look for a network DHCP server (usually integrated with the router) and will update the address when one is found. Often times when a DHCP server isn't found after a reboot, it's a timing issue that prevents the device from finding the DHCP server. Basically, it may look for it before the network connection is completed under some conditions.

That makes perfect sense. I wondered how the Netflix app got an address of 169.254.xx.x since I have reserved 192.168.1.21 as a static address for my family room Hopper3. I reserve static IP addresses for all of my 42 networked devices.

I changed the daily reset time for my Living Room Hopper3 to 2 AM and made the daily reset time of my Family Room Hopper3 3 AM. Hopefully this will insure that the Netflix app gets the correct IP address from my Netgear Nighthawk router.
Initially I had both of my Hopper3 receivers hard wired to my router through my gigabit home network. I disconnected the Hopper3 receiver since the advanced Dish technical support told me to not hard wire both Hopper3 receivers but to use moca for the one receiver. Both receivers seem to work well with download speeds of 100-110 Mbps. It is just the Netflix app of my family Room Hopper3 that gets confused.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)