Netflix stopping Password Sharing is a another big gain for 3rd quarter

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Netflix total subscribers reached 247.15 million, with a gain of 8.76 million.

Who was it that predicted that stopping password sharing would be bad for Netflix?

Since they stopped it, they have gained over 14 Million Subscribers.

For comparison, Disney+ has almost 150 Million Subscribers worldwide.

HBO/MAX has 96 Million worldwide.

By the way there is , estimated, 1.6 Billion Households in the world, that means 15% of the entire world subscribe to Netflix.

In the United States, out of 130 Million Households, 60% subscribe to Netflix, 38% to HBO/MAX ( linear TV and streaming) , 46% for Disney+

Takes more than a month or two.
It has been almost 5 Months, started on May 22.
How many have Left ????
Since this is a straight gain, if 2 million left, that means they have 10 million new subscribers, or if no one left, the 8 million announced.
And how many are still sharing ?
Who knows, if there is a bunch, lot more new potential subscribers when caught.

Please, from your link-Using survey data of more than 19,000 adult Americans, MoffettNathanson found a majority of people who share accounts now have a negative view of Netflix.

So basically, a bunch of people who were, basically, stealing service, are angry.

Providing/making entertainment is not free, it costs a lot of money, not just actors/writers/directors, those who build the sets, makes the costumes, craft services, union workers, all being paid normal wages, if everyone steals ( password shares) then they do not get paid.

And a reward for the new subscribers, another price hike:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/18/business/netflix-earnings/index.html
Can’t really complain, they have put out more new content then a lot of cable channels combined.

It is their first increase since Jan., 2022, since then, both Comcast and Charter have had 4 increases, DirecTV 3 increases, etc, etc.

Streaming services have one each year, for some, every two years, YTTV went almost 3 years, yet streaming seems to get the most complaints about increases and mistruths, when some says add them all together and they are more then Traditional Providers, 100% untrue, not even close.

For example, all at their highest tier, commercial free, 4K, etc
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ $25
Paramount+ with Showtime $11 (annual plan average)
Peacock $11 (annual plan average)
HBOMAX $17 (annual plan average)
AMC+ $7 (annual plan average)
with that, you get the vast majority of what is on Cable/Satellite plus the exclusives
That is only $74 a month
How much would cable/Satellite costs with HBO and Showtime, it would still be more then streaming even without them.
Even if you add Netflix to my streaming total, still only $96, the average cable/sat bill with just broadcast/cable channels, no premiums, is $140 with all those fees added in.

Can’t really complain, they have put out more new content then a lot of cable channels combined.

It is their first increase since Jan., 2022, since then, both Comcast and Charter have had 4 increases, DirecTV 3 increases, etc, etc.

Streaming services have one each year, for some, every two years, YTTV went almost 3 years, yet streaming seems to get the most complaints about increases and mistruths, when some says add them all together and they are more then Traditional Providers, 100% untrue, not even close.

For example, all at their highest tier, commercial free, 4K, etc
Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ $25
Paramount+ with Showtime $11 (annual plan average)
Peacock $11 (annual plan average)
HBOMAX $17 (annual plan average)
AMC+ $7 (annual plan average)
with that, you get the vast majority of what is on Cable/Satellite plus the exclusives
That is only $74 a month
How much would cable/Satellite costs with HBO and Showtime, it would still be more then streaming even without them.
Even if you add Netflix to my streaming total, still only $96, the average cable/sat bill with just broadcast/cable channels, no premiums, is $140 with all those fees added in.
If you are a vet, or active, you can get a 25% discount on that $11 a month average. I did it and it works. You just need to verify your status.

If you are a vet, or active, you can get a 25% discount on that $11 a month average. I did it and it works. You just need to verify your status.

I pay for it with Gift Cards I get with my CC points, I have to see if that option is available.

I had $3500 in Rewards after getting my roof replaced, I am now paid up for years on all the services I sub to, still have a lot left over,

Please, from your link-Using survey data of more than 19,000 adult Americans, MoffettNathanson found a majority of people who share accounts now have a negative view of Netflix.

So basically, a bunch of people who were, basically, stealing service, are angry.

Providing/making entertainment is not free, it costs a lot of money, not just actors/writers/directors, those who build the sets, makes the costumes, craft services, union workers, all being paid normal wages, if everyone steals ( password shares) then they do not get paid.
Ok, so when is too much ???
When they raise thier price to $30 p/m, $50 p/m, $75 ????????

Not me, I'm not paying much more than I already am ....
I don't need addl programming that much ....
Netflix is a Luxury, not a necessity ... as is all other Streaming.

Yet you do not complain this much about DirectTV raising the price on you twice in one year, for even less new content and a extremely higher price.

Did you not say you never watch the RSN, but yet you pay that S13.99-15.99 extra fee every month.

I choose to fight back, tired of paying for stuff I never watch, how they charge you will never change if you just accept it, if I find a service not worth it to me, I will drop.

I already did that with AMC+, gone, Peacock is next after the Football Season, YTTV also, but will probably be back in September, since the rest of College Football Streaming will not start until the 2025 Season.

Yet you do not complain this much about DirectTV raising the price on you twice in one year, for even less new content and a extremely higher price.

Did you not say you never watch the RSN, but yet you pay that S13.99-15.99 extra fee every month.

I choose to fight back, tired of paying for stuff I never watch, how they charge you will never change if you just accept it, if I find a service not worth it to me, I will drop.

I already did that with AMC+, gone, Peacock is next after the Football Season, YTTV also, but will probably be back in September, since the rest of College Football Streaming will not start until the 2025 Season.
Directv raised prices in Jan/Feb, like always (Do I Like it, NO)
I can't get to my D* account bill at the moment ... if my bill has gone up, theres nothing I can do about it .
I've already paid D* for the year so I really don't see the bill or at least pay much attention.

You mention, I get even less content, same as every one else ... writers strike effected Everyone, not just D* subs.

As for the RSN fee, I'm NOT happy about that ... here again, no choice, I go down to the package without it, I lose my company discount.

Theres the difference, you find something not to your liking, you drop it ....
I never said I didn't like D*.

I like D* very well, has a Great picture (Top Priority)
All the channels I need (with the exception to NFL ST) which I have had since probably around 2004 ish every year.

the rest of College Football Streaming will not start until the 2025 Season.
What are you saying here ?
All college football is going Streaming in 2025 ????
When did THAT info come out ?

College Football will still be on the OTA as well as any other channels as well as possibly streaming by then.

It's too much when it's too much. That's different for everyone. If the value proposition exceeds what I'm willing to pay for it, I unsubscribe. No big deal.

It's on them to make it worth it for me to continue subscribing.
Directv raised prices in Jan/Feb, like always

And now again next month.
As is pretty much any form of tv.
Ding ding ding.

Reactions: Mochuf
It's too much when it's too much. That's different for everyone. If the value proposition exceeds what I'm willing to pay for it, I unsubscribe. No big deal.

It's on them to make it worth it for me to continue subscribing.

And now again next month.

Ding ding ding.
I don't think so ....
I'm gonna say D* is Not going to raise prices in Jan/Feb this time, seeing they just raised them this/last month.