Netflix streaming issues

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Over the past 4 days I have been getting a lot of buffering even though speed tests from 3 servers give me over 20 Mb d/l. Of course, the ISP and Netflix point fingers at each other. I'm not at all happy with streaming. I'm not happy with sending DVD's back and forth either. Someone has got to come up with a better way. :mad:

Everything was fine until about a week ago.

I can certainly relate with this. Everything was working great until I decided to upgrade our internet to 10Mbps and get a new router. Now we experience buffering more than ever before. I guess the lesson learned is if it's not broke don't fix it.

Streaming is definitely the way to go! I dropped Dish in January and never going back.

You might want to check your router and Ethernet cables. Although it is probably an Internet or Netflix problem. Do you have another service like HULU, VUDU, Amazon, etc. that you could try to see if the buffering still occurs? This could determine the fault.

I just signed up with Netflix to catch up on Breaking Bad. I have not had described buffering problem, but on two or three occasions, the resolution has dropped down to sub 480 in the middle of a program...taking 10-15 seconds to ramp back up. It also does this at start-up, but I read that is normal. All in all, I have to say the PQ and stability of Amazon Prime is better.

I just signed up with Netflix to catch up on Breaking Bad. I have not had described buffering problem, but on two or three occasions, the resolution has dropped down to sub 480 in the middle of a program...taking 10-15 seconds to ramp back up. It also does this at start-up, but I read that is normal. All in all, I have to say the PQ and stability of Amazon Prime is better.

I have been using Netflix since it was first made available for the Xbox 360 5 years ago and I have been using Amazon instant for about a year now. After using both services quite a bit I have to disagree with you. For me both services are very stable. I don't see buffering or dips in quality from either service. I primarily use Netflix paritally because the Apple TV 3rd Gen is my main streaming device and they don't have Amazon. We do use Amazon prime and PPV rentals pretty often on a couple Rokus in the house too though.

I'll give Netflix the edge in both picture quality and user interface. Netflix offers 1080p streaming while Amazon maxes out at 720p and I think it shows. In my opinion Netflix definitely looks better. This isn't to say that Amazon looks bad but I definitely wouldn't put them ahead of Netflix in PQ. I'm not opposed to watching shows on Amazon but if the content is available on both services I always choose Netflix no matter which device I am using.

Your connection may have just been shaky at the time you were experiencing this due to congestion or whatever reason. I would use Netflix a little longer and see if you still feel that way.

You guys with streaming issues, are your devices hooked up with an ethernet cable directly, OR are they running wireless? I would expect more issues with running wirelessly.

If using an ethernet cable directly, perhaps it's some sort of Qos issue with whatever router you are using and priority of devices. Maybe reserve the devices address in the router, and experiment with various router tweaks for the specific router. Also make sure nobody else is using the router right then, including IP phones (which usually have the highest priority)

Just throwing this out there, perhaps you've already thought of them.

I have been using Netflix since it was first made available for the Xbox 360 5 years ago and I have been using Amazon instant for about a year now. After using both services quite a bit I have to disagree with you. For me both services are very stable. I don't see buffering or dips in quality from either service. I primarily use Netflix paritally because the Apple TV 3rd Gen is my main streaming device and they don't have Amazon. We do use Amazon prime and PPV rentals pretty often on a couple Rokus in the house too though.

I'll give Netflix the edge in both picture quality and user interface. Netflix offers 1080p streaming while Amazon maxes out at 720p and I think it shows. In my opinion Netflix definitely looks better. This isn't to say that Amazon looks bad but I definitely wouldn't put them ahead of Netflix in PQ. I'm not opposed to watching shows on Amazon but if the content is available on both services I always choose Netflix no matter which device I am using.

Your connection may have just been shaky at the time you were experiencing this due to congestion or whatever reason. I would use Netflix a little longer and see if you still feel that way.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. You mention interface...TV series on Netflix are not broken down by season, like Amazon. And again, NEVER had the slightest hiccup with Amazon.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. You mention interface...TV series on Netflix are not broken down by season, like Amazon. And again, NEVER had the slightest hiccup with Amazon.

I guess that might depend on which device you use but they are on my rokus and Apple TV.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't know if it's simply,beauty is in the eye of the beholder,or video quality is different in certain areas.Could be isp related,not sure anyway,I agree with KAb,the video quality to me at least,is better on amazon than on Netflix.That's not to say that netflix is bad,it's really very good,and the netflix sd beats dish or dtv sd hands down.And yes,netflix always starts out in low quality,then adjusts to high quality,amazon doesn't do that.

I have Roku, too.

You add the entire series to your queue at once but the Roku only shows one season at a time. If you scroll to the top of the episode list it will ask you which season you want. It will automatically keep your spot and move to the next season when you finish one. I would argue that this is more user friendly than having to search for and add each season to your queue individually. To each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ADMITTEDLY getting a bit off subject, my observations about Netflix vs Amazon...NON PQ. If one wants to really rely at least 30% on streaming for with a GOOD variety of choices, you have to have both. There is about a 30-40% duplicate factor between them, but after that it's clearly one or the other. All depends on what you think you would watch most. For example, if you're a Trekkie, don't even think about Netflix. Likewise, TV like Breaking Bad (which was the only reason I got Netflix) is their strong suit. I still give my nod to Amazon, (that low quality ramp up on Netflix drives me nuts) because of the added on shipping advantage if you do a lot of Amazon shopping...which we do. In short, there's room for both, if both are in the budget.

ADMITTEDLY getting a bit off subject, my observations about Netflix vs Amazon...NON PQ. If one wants to really rely at least 30% on streaming for with a GOOD variety of choices, you have to have both. There is about a 30-40% duplicate factor between them, but after that it's clearly one or the other. All depends on what you think you would watch most. For example, if you're a Trekkie, don't even think about Netflix.

Why, all the Star Trek TV Series are on Netflix, and about 5 of the movies, and they have been on for a few years now and will be on for a while since Netflix and CBS just signed a new deal in July.

Last edited:
Netflix let their Viacom (CBS/Paramount/Star Trek) contract expire. Amazon picked it up.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/08/netflix-cbs-extend-streaming-deal/

CBS AND NETFLIX ANNOUNCE EXTENSION OF MULTIYEAR LICENSING AGREEMENT FOR LIBRARY CONTENT IN THE U.S.

In addition to the newly added series, the agreement also includes popular CBS series already on Netflix such as "Jericho," "Medium," and "Flashpoint," as well as episodes from some of television's most iconic franchises, including all generations of the definitive sci-fi series "Star Trek" and the cult favorite "Twin Peaks."

Why, all the Star Trek TV Series are on Netflix, and about 5 of the movies, and they have been on for a few years now and will be on for a while since Netflix and CBS just signed a new deal in July.
You were right, but I had to search for them as they were not in the first tier category pages/screens. I just find finding stuff on Amazon much easier. Maybe just me, or perhaps I will get used to Netflix over time. Oh well, "it's only streaming".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts