Netflix to Begin Cracking Down on Password Sharing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It increases his stock valuation
Darn right.

I am quite proud of my shares in Netflix because I bought them on my own, without the help of those who run my account.

Bought 500 shares at $80 when the Qwikster stupidity was going on, that was before the 7 way split of the stock shares about 4 years later.

I'm saving in excess of $2k a year not having DirecTV, but everyone defines a few bucks different I guess, just as they value the propositions provided by the various services. Change is hard. It's why mom still has DirecTV, but she's been forced to streaming for some shows and the end is near for her time their customer.

Reactions: DS0816
I happen to like that service and have elderly parents that understand how it works, so I will not be making them learn a whole new service, just to save a few bucks.
Why do I keep seeing these type of posts that just assumes the older population is basically stupid and cannot handle change.

My Step Father is 76 this year and streams everything, he even used to stream Comcast thru the app on the Roku to save on Box Fees, he has since dropped Comcast , the only reason he had it was for the RSN, but he figured out how to use a VPN and get the Tigers (MLB) and Red Wings (ESPN+).

I never used or tried a vpn, so good for him.

Also, my late wife figured out YTTV ( and PS VUE before that) with ease, she had early onset dementia due to her disease, yet not a problem, after a week she was good to go.

Why do I keep seeing these type of posts that just assumes the older population is basically stupid and cannot handle change.

My Step Father is 76 this year and streams everything, he even used to stream Comcast thru the app on the Roku to save on Box Fees, he has since dropped Comcast , the only reason he had it was for the RSN, but he figured out how to use a VPN and get the Tigers (MLB) and Red Wings (ESPN+).

Also, my late wife figured out YTTV ( and PS VUE before that) with ease, she had early onset dementia due to her disease, yet not a problem, after a week she was good to go.
Yes, I will be 79 in several weeks and I can handle all of these things. But... I have been doing this all of my life and have kept up to date so I am not intimidated by change. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes, I will be 79 in several weeks and I can handle all of these things. But... I have been doing this all of my life and have kept up to date so I am not intimidated by change. Different strokes for different folks.
Everyone is different, I was born in the late 60’s and growing up extremely poor, had no tech except a B&W TV with Aluminum Foil on the rabbit ears, no cable , no vcr, nothing.

Did not have my first PC till after College ( used one in the Army, but mostly to type out reports and then print and hand them in, Army was still in paper mode in the mid 80’s)

But working for Media One/ATT Broadband/Comcast had me learning quickly.

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat

If you have been brought up with all this new stuff thats fine, good for you ....

You ask Why do you keep seeing these type of posts ????

Why do we keep seeing how great your folks happen to be ????

My parent happen to be in thier 80's.

I'm really glad that your parents find new tech to be easy.

Most don't or don't want to HAVE to learn new things to turn on the News or the latest Drama.

If you have been brought up with all this new stuff thats fine, good for you ....
My age of 56 and his at 76, neither of us were brought up with this stuff.

I have no idea what tech he had, never lived in the same house, he moved in with my mom when I was 16, I had already moved out and couch surfed until I finished High School then the Army.
You ask Why do you keep seeing these type of posts ????
Yes, being in Florida, I constantly see older folks on their Cell Phones like they are teenagers, it is kinda weird.
Why do we keep seeing how great your folks happen to be ????
ummm, never said that, father left when I was 8 and my mother was a violent alcoholic , hence why I moved out so young.

All I wrote is my 76 year old Step-Father knows tech, never said he was a great person.
My parent happen to be in thier 80's.
80 is the new 70.
I'm really glad that your parents find new tech to be easy.
Again, never said that.
Most don't or don't want to HAVE to learn new things to turn on the News or the latest Drama.
All you (and them) can do is try.

I visited my sister this weekend and we decided to watch a Netflix movie. I logged into Netflix on my sister’s Roku. We received a message asking us to confirm that this device was part of my Netflix household. We said yes. I then received a text on my IPhone asking “Did you request to confirm the Netflix household for your account?” “Tap to confirm this was you”
I tapped the link in the text message and Netflix started on my sister’s Roku.
I then received an email on my IPhone saying your Netflix household has been confirmed.

So this is how Netflix is preventing password sharing. Since I was present and it is my Netflix account we were able to use Netflix correctly.

I visited my sister this weekend and we decided to watch a Netflix movie. I logged into Netflix on my sister’s Roku. We received a message asking us to confirm that this device was part of my Netflix household. We said yes. I then received a text on my IPhone asking “Did you request to confirm the Netflix household for your account?” “Tap to confirm this was you”
I then received an email on my IPhone saying your Netflix household has been confirmed.

So this is how Netflix is preventing password sharing. Since I was present and it is my Netflix account we were able to use Netflix correctly.
But, but, but, you would have received the text and email and been able to confirm it even if you were at your house and weren't with your sister. So, they didn't verify anything except that someone else whom you didn't know was not stealing your service. You could still have shared your Netflix account with your sister, your cousin, her hairdresser or whoever simply by responding to the text.

Reactions: dishdude and LQQK

Did you get similar prompt when you returned home?

Reactions: AZ.
Yeah, that's the rub. Did you just redefine home as her place, and now everything associated with your home will have to be reverified and re-set as your actual home? Not sure how strict or quick it will allow that to switch (presumably it will be very flexible to start) but largely all that was described was 2-factor auth (good), with the extra verbiage of the 'home' location stuff.

If they turn around and then not let you wholesale change your home location because that's being abused, this will stop working or you'll find yourself not able to set your other devices to your 'home' and you'll have to do this process frequently.

Also noticed from their FAQ, if you don't use any devices connected to a TV they don't ever even define a household for you.

Yeah, that's the rub. Did you just redefine home as her place, and now everything associated with your home will have to be reverified and re-set as your actual home? Not sure how strict or quick it will allow that to switch (presumably it will be very flexible to start) but largely all that was described was 2-factor auth (good), with the extra verbiage of the 'home' location stuff.

If they turn around and then not let you wholesale change your home location because that's being abused, this will stop working or you'll find yourself not able to set your other devices to your 'home' and you'll have to do this process frequently.

Also noticed from their FAQ, if you don't use any devices connected to a TV they don't ever even define a household for you.
In the other markets they've rolled this out to, you either have 30 days before you have to go through this again or it happens immediately the next time a non-mobile device (Roku, Streaming Stick, "Smart" TV, etc.) tries to stream from a different location than the last time Netflix was used. I'd guess we'll get the former, but I haven't found an explanation yet that confirms it.