Netflix to stream HD on XBOX360

Yup from the looks of it you will need an XBOX with HDMI outputs (an XBOX Elite) and will need it hooked up to a monitor that supports HDCP.

I guess I can understand there reason for doing that.

Media Mall's Play On software lets you stream Netflix, Hulu, You Tube and others from your PC to PS3 and 360. Though I liked it at first for my PS3, I'm starting to have some issues (aka glitches), and since they say they can never do HD due to bandwidth issues, I probably won't pay them $30 once the free beta phase it over.

Just be aware that this is HD lite...... The HD download sizes are about 4 GB for an hour of TV content, which doesn't seem to make sense when a Blu Ray uses 3-4 times that space...

Just be aware that this is HD lite...... The HD download sizes are about 4 GB for an hour of TV content, which doesn't seem to make sense when a Blu Ray uses 3-4 times that space...

I think most realize this, but it is a welcome advance and improvement.

Seeing what Vudu can do wth HDX, it does lend hope that the tivo/netflix and even the 360/netflix offerings could be of very good quality.

Media Mall's Play On software lets you stream Netflix, Hulu, You Tube and others from your PC to PS3 and 360. Though I liked it at first for my PS3, I'm starting to have some issues (aka glitches), and since they say they can never do HD due to bandwidth issues, I probably won't pay them $30 once the free beta phase it over.

I too will not be paying them. It was fun, but on the PS3 its cumbersome for everyone but me to use in my household. The Hulu stuff drops out alot too. But if I use the PS3 browser, I can do hulu no problem, so its definately a playon glitch.

I hope my elite is back before the 19th :), I have netflix, I have gold, But I am on my back up 360:D

The elite bit it playing Fable 2. (had like 30 people in my house (the were all following me around) and accidentally cast the time stop spell. Freeze.... Bingo 3 flashing lights of death.

The back up only has Component out :(

What I'm worried about is it says 8-10 mpbs to stream HD movies. I only get 6mb download speed from AT&T dsl and don't have any other options because UVerse is not available at my house and I refuse to use cable because my mobile home park charges extra to deliver the cable to my space. It's really lame.

What I'm worried about is it says 8-10 mpbs to stream HD movies. I only get 6mb download speed from AT&T dsl and don't have any other options because UVerse is not available at my house and I refuse to use cable because my mobile home park charges extra to deliver the cable to my space. It's really lame.
Wouldn't a slower speed just result in a larger buffer time? I mean I'm getting cable internet at my new place (allegedly) but I haven't been able to test the speed yet.

If you look at the size of most HD movies on the net, a 720p movie is about 4 gig...

If you look at the size of most HD movies on the net, a 720p movie is about 4 gig...

You mean its about 4-5 gig per hour if encoded with X.264 or VC1.

So the typical mover with a 90 min run time is 6-10gb in size

Just look at the size of the HD moves on XBL now....NETFLIX will be following the already tried and test model M$ currently uses.

Remember though, one doesnt have to download the entire move before you can start watching. Its streamed so even with a 'slow' high speed connection like 6mb you will only have to wait a few min for enough of the move to buffer before you can start watching.

I have comca$t with 16mb and on XBL I ususally wait less then a min before I can start a movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)