Netflix will soon stream to Xbox without Gold requirement, says report

It was dumb to have that as a requirement in the first place considering the Playstation doesn't require an extra membership nor does the Roku.

Yeah I always thought it was silly to have to be a Gold Member to use a subscription service that you have to pay extra for. They should have done this a long time ago.

At this point I do not think it matters. Anyone wanting to JUST watch netflix or other streaming services probably isnt using the xbox, because other cheaper options let you do it without the added expense.

Id wager the vast majority of XBOX Gold subs are subs for online multiplayer.

Easy: They could get away with it. They were the first to have console streaming, and even when Playstation got it they realized that no one was going to buy a Playstation 3 or Wii for the sole purpose of being a media streamer. Now though, with another console generation and the fact that NO OTHER STREAMERS force a paywall, now it just looks dumb and will hurt them.

Netflix is much more popular now than it was when xbox 360 came out. Microsoft is feeling the pressure now with PS4 beating Xbox One.

At this point I do not think it matters. Anyone wanting to JUST watch netflix or other streaming services probably isnt using the xbox, because other cheaper options let you do it without the added expense.
You'd be surprised. My daughter and youngest son use Netflix, Youtube, & Crunchyroll the most out of any game/app on their Xbox 360 & PS3.

The other options either require another box (ie. roku) or don't really work well (Tivo).

You'd be surprised. My daughter and youngest son use Netflix & Crunchyroll the most out of any game/app on their Xbox 360 & PS3.

The other options either require another box (ie. roku) or don't really work well (Tivo).

Yes, there are some I am sure, but that majority (with no stats to baxk it up) would be as I said I would wager.
And other options do require another box, but you can get a roku at or around the same price as the Gold subscription. So I would again think that if ones sole purpose was to use those streaming apps, now anyway, that the xbox would not be the main viewing device. Of course it might be if you were already paying gold for gaming.

And other options do require another box, but you can get a roku at or around the same price as the Gold subscription. So I would again think that if ones sole purpose was to use those streaming apps, now anyway, that the xbox would not be the main viewing device. Of course it might be if you were already paying gold for gaming.
And you get the same thing for free on a PS3. Which is how my kids (and me) started watching Netflix & Hulu.

People are used to using their consoles to watch those, as opposed to getting an extra box.

It's nice to have the ability on the 360, as it's hooked up to a different tv than the ps3.

Its good to have the option for sure.
The less I play multiplayer online, the more I would look into this option.

Yes, there are some I am sure, but that majority (with no stats to baxk it up) would be as I said I would wager.

Yeah, I know several people who basically use a 360 exclusively for Netflix. They didn't buy it for that purpose but they rarely play games anymore and they already have it hooked up. When I look at my friends list at any given time I will see 5 people online. One person will be playing a game and the other four will be watching Netflix. Now, going out and buying a $500 Xbox One exclusively as a Blu-ray player and streaming device doesn't make sense. Like you said, they are cheaper options available that can do that job just as well if you don't play games.

My sister liked the Roku I got my parents so she wanted one for her new house. They needed a blu-ray player too so I got her a Sony blu-ray player for $80 that comes with Netflix and all the major streaming apps built in. She loves it and the picture quality looks the same as my $500 Xbox One. There was a time when people bought PS3s just to stream and watch Blu-rays but there are much better options for that now.

And you get the same thing for free on a PS3. Which is how my kids (and me) started watching Netflix & Hulu.

People are used to using their consoles to watch those, as opposed to getting an extra box.

It's nice to have the ability on the 360, as it's hooked up to a different tv than the ps3.

I think one of the biggest reasons these streaming services caught on is because they were compatible with the gaming consoles millions of us already had in our homes. I know the only reason I tried Netflix back in 2008 was because it came to my 360. I have been a customer ever since. If they would have required buying a specific box like a Roku from the start I don't think it would have caught on nearly as fast. The fact that it was compatible with devices many tech savvy people, who would be willing to try a service like this, already owned is what got their foot in the door.

Just got this in e-mail.

At Xbox, we’re committed to continually improving the Xbox experience based on your feedback. Today we’re announcing two changes that you have asked for.

In June, we’re making Xbox Live Gold even better. Games with Gold will be coming to Xbox One, so a single Gold membership will get you free games on both Xbox One and Xbox 360. Plus, we’re introducing Deals with Gold for Xbox One which gives members exclusive discounts on games and content in the Xbox Store. With the most advanced multiplayer, Games with Gold, and Deals with Gold, Xbox Live Gold is better than ever.

Also, coming in June, all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners will get access to popular entertainment apps, like Netflix, YouTube, Machinima, and more on Xbox without needing an Xbox Live Gold membership*. This means that everyone can enjoy the amazing gaming, TV and entertainment experiences that Xbox has to offer, right out of the box.

Was just reading the same email from xbox. I've got gold for playing COD but I suppose I could repurpose some unused x360's around here for people needing netflix and xfinity apps at no cost.

Was just reading the same email from xbox. I've got gold for playing COD but I suppose I could repurpose some unused x360's around here for people needing netflix and xfinity apps at no cost.

I think you can be signed in on both your Xbox One and a 360 at the same time.

I seriously considered getting an Xbox a few years ago to play some RPGs I was really interested in (the Mass Effect trilogy before ME1 was announced for the PS3 and the Bethesda games that aren't as buggy on the 360 as the PS3). But I could never get past the idea that I would have to pay to use a subscription service I already pay for, as well as for other amenities on the PS3 I take for granted. (This was before Sony announced the IGC, when I finally joined Plus permanently.) Not to mention every other smart/media streaming device I have, or could ever buy, doesn't charge extra either for the "privilege" of streaming Netflix and whatnot. Now if a free Netflix sub was part of the deal with Live, I could understand. It was almost a matter of principle that I refused to buy an Xbox at the time, since I didn't really need it for streaming (I already had a Roku and PS3) and I wouldn't need Live for playing online.

I seriously considered getting an Xbox a few years ago to play some RPGs I was really interested in (the Mass Effect trilogy before ME1 was announced for the PS3 and the Bethesda games that aren't as buggy on the 360 as the PS3). But I could never get past the idea that I would have to pay to use a subscription service I already pay for, as well as for other amenities on the PS3 I take for granted. (This was before Sony announced the IGC, when I finally joined Plus permanently.) Not to mention every other smart/media streaming device I have, or could ever buy, doesn't charge extra either for the "privilege" of streaming Netflix and whatnot. Now if a free Netflix sub was part of the deal with Live, I could understand. It was almost a matter of principle that I refused to buy an Xbox at the time, since I didn't really need it for streaming (I already had a Roku and PS3) and I wouldn't need Live for playing online.

Unfortunately that is a requirement for PS4 too. It doesn't effect me because the PS Plus perks had me hooked on PS3 before it was required for online play. I would likely be a subscriber as long as I use the system whether it was required for online play or not. Sadly, the only place where free online gaming is still a reality is PC and Nintendo.

As I said, this is just a bad/outdated business practice catching up to Microsoft. Don't forget, Microsoft implemented this back in November 2008, when your options for Netflix streaming were VERY limited. Basically the only alternative was the Roku, which back then was VERY limited in terms of content. Nowadays, EVERYTHING streams Netflix for free, so being the ONLY guy on the block that had an added fee just looks embarrassingly greedy. Also the fact that the PS3 is the top game console streamer of Netflix just shows that people don't like the idea of paying 2 fees.

Unfortunately that is a requirement for PS4 too. It doesn't effect me because the PS Plus perks had me hooked on PS3 before it was required for online play. I would likely be a subscriber as long as I use the system whether it was required for online play or not. Sadly, the only place where free online gaming is still a reality is PC and Nintendo.
Well.. the idea that Nintendo has online gaming is debatable at this point.. ;p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)