Networking Mulitple DVRs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jekyl1

Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
Hi, I just switched from DISH to DirecTV, mainly for the NFL. The one thing about DISH that I like better is the fact that I can choose which room to watch a DVR Event. So, I can record a show in the livingroom and watch it the bedroom if I want.

DirecTV does not have that option. You have to watch on the tv you recorded on. So, I got 2 DVRs, one in the livingroom, one in the bedroom. I'd like to find a way to netwrok these DVRs so that they share information.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this or if it is even possible?

Thanks!

Well first of all, are you the only person in the house, or are there multiple people?
If you're alone, why didn't you just backfeed the single D-Tivo from the living room into your bedroom, get an RF remote extender & you're all set. This would be no different than your E* DVR in single-user mode.

If you have others in the house, then just do the same for both boxes & you can watch either one in either room - not a big deal.

I have 6 DVR's all stacked up in the basement (on my main TV) & I can watch ALL of them on ALL of my TV's, as I have each one modulated on a different channel - it's like having a mini cable system in the house.

The new HDDVR has an ethernet port, so my hunch is this capability is right around the corner along with the previously suggested audio streaming from Windows PC's. Might be a better option (for D* cost wise) than the whole HMC idea given the SATA attachment to the HD DVR. Have a primary DVR networked to a bunch of media center type boxes across an Ethernet.

Keeps the DVR cost down by not needing another box or multiple boxes to serve the same function, or minimizing the number of boxes (tuner variety) in a home to say 2. Keeps equipment costs down because remote unit would cost peanuts to a tuner. Who knows. This probably makes way too much sense! If I were the God of Directv I'd make the HDDVR box, activate the ethernet and dump the HMC program all together. I'd also add only MPEG-4 channels and start dumping MPEG-2 and go with HD boxes only. Why duplicate (and by extension complicate by supporting multiple box types), especially with HD boxes at the pricepoint SD and SD TiVo boxes were just 2 years ago at $99 for an HD Tuner and $399 for the HD DVR. Like I said, probably makes way too much sense.

Last edited:
Jekyl1,

I'm actually interested in Dish (pretty frustrated with DTV). I was looking into Dish and liked that option but heard that the only way the 2 TV/1 DVR option works is if they are physically connected via wire (as opposed to wireless or something else). How have you connected two TV's to one DVR?
Thanks
Adam

I have my 622 connected to my hdtv in the living room via hdmi and to my computer room tv via rca jacks and by coax directly behind the living room. I use it in single mode and watch the same thing on both tvs. I can use it in dual mode and watch comething else but I choose to use it in single mode on my main 622.

My second 622 in the master bedroom is hooked up to my hdtv via hdmi and to my sons room on the other side of the room via coax and I use it in dual mode.
I know of no options to use it other than coax or rca jacks or component if you can get long enough cables.

dishrich said:
Well first of all, are you the only person in the house, or are there multiple people?
If you're alone, why didn't you just backfeed the single D-Tivo from the living room into your bedroom, get an RF remote extender & you're all set. This would be no different than your E* DVR in single-user mode.

If you have others in the house, then just do the same for both boxes & you can watch either one in either room - not a big deal.

I have 6 DVR's all stacked up in the basement (on my main TV) & I can watch ALL of them on ALL of my TV's, as I have each one modulated on a different channel - it's like having a mini cable system in the house.
Can you point me in the direction of information on doing this? I have a whole house media distribution box in my basement that would definitely make my life easier if I could locate all boxes in one area. Are you still able to get stereo sound, etc?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)