Never had DISH before. Several questions to help save money and decide...

tekjunkie02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
n.fla
My house has a DISH 1000+ antenna setup with DPP44 switch.
I do not have a DISH receiver, and have never before been a DISH customer.
I cannot commit to a contract, and I need to keep my charges at the minimum to satisfy my needs/desires.

So here's my questions..
What receiver(s) are compatible with my antenna, and can be used on a pay as you go service? I do not need or want a DVR.
--- Which would you reccomend?

I must get FOX NEWS Channel (wife watches it 24 hours/day ;)), what is the lowest cost way to get this channel from DISH?
--- What is the cost and what else do I get?

I can do my own install and setup.
--- Would this save me any cost? Or, would a DISH installer do it for free?

I think that covers it... let me know whatever you think I need to know, I'll appreciate it:D

Thanks,

I would problably go with a purchased 211k for about $149 I think. You could get away with the Smart Pack or the Americas Top 120 to get FoxNews and if the cabling is wired properly and your dish is aligned, then you should be able to just connect the dish and ready to go. A pay as you go account may be the best idea in your situation but I would hit up a DIRT agent to get specific details.

Assuming the Dish is still pointed correct, yes do your own install, if you don't want a contract, so you don't have to pay for it. I would get a 211 receiver, that way you could add an external HD if you ever did want DVR in the future. You can get the smart pack for 19.99 that has Fox news(going up to 24.99 on 1/17). That would be your cheapest route. You can also still you 311 receivers if you don't care that they are SD only, they would be much cheaper.

222's & 211's are rumored to be dropping in price next month.

*Upfront cost, monthly fees still the same.

Last edited:
Assuming the Dish is still pointed correct, yes do your own install, if you don't want a contract, so you don't have to pay for it. I would get a 211 receiver, that way you could add an external HD if you ever did want DVR in the future. You can get the smart pack for 19.99 that has Fox news(going up to 24.99 on 1/17). That would be your cheapest route. You can also still you 311 receivers if you don't care that they are SD only, they would be much cheaper.

Does the 311 do everything the 211 will do, but just SD only? Will I get all the same channels?
Is there any other reason to pick the 211 over the 311?
thanks again,

You will get all the channels they will just be in SD. So yes except for some of the HD only offered premium channels, but I'm guessing you are not concerned about that. Also you can't add a Hard Drive to it.

Google the dish depot....
Good prices and quick shipping

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Retailer prices on a 211 drop $50 on 1/17. Don't know if it will drop that much for consumers, but may be very well worthwhile to wait if not in a hurry.

The ViP222 has a history of problems and is not generally highly regarded. But I hear its problems have been fixed. Monthly fee is higher than for a ViP211, I believe.

The ViP222 has a history of problems and is not generally highly regarded. But I hear its problems have been fixed. Monthly fee is higher than for a ViP211, I believe.

Remember the 1st receiver is included.

I see the 222k, dual tuner model for same, $129, as 211k.... any opinions one way or another on these?

The 222k will support another room (SD) with a second remote and another tuner so you can watch two different programs in two different rooms. However you do not have the option of adding an external hard drive to add DVR features in the future with the 222k that you do with the 211k. Also it does not have the OTA tuner built in although it's available as a separate module.

Are you sure you are not thinking of the 612?

To recap the 211 benefits over the 311:

1) HD receiver
2) Built-in ATSC tuner
3) DVR Conversion for one-time fee of $40 (and an external USB disk)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)