New 118.7 Information

If someone already had a purchased vip receiver and later added locals - do you think Dish would provide the Dish1000 hardware for free to get the HD channels?

Mr.Pinkeye said:
I guess I'm just echoing (pun intended) other people's thoughts that e* seems to be doing things haphazardly and not necessarily operating with the most efficient business plan.
I agree that E* plans are very inefficient. You mentioned that a one-dish solution is a necessity in your location. Well, in Atlanta the situation is a little different.

Prior to HD, most Atlantians had a two-dish setup. One dish for 110/119 and a second dish for 61.5 to access some of the Atlanta SD locals like WB, PBS a few others. After they acquired VOOM, the only thing you needed was a new receiver to get HD. You didn't need new dishes or installation. That was efficient.

Then it came time for Atlanta HD locals. The prudent thing would have been to put the HD locals on 61.5 for Atlanta. That way, you wouldn't need a new dish or installation. Only a new receiver. Instead, they decided to put the locals on 129 which required a new dish, installation, and a new receiver. VERY INEFFICIENT and EXPENSIVE.

ralfyguy said:
Do you wish to have it installed for free too?"
HELL YES! If dish had made the correct decision in the first place for Atlanta, then they would only need to send out new receivers, no dish/installation necessary. So I do expect them to pay for their poor business decisions.

Bagman said:
lakebum431 and sampattereson,
Do you have the 622 and a dish pointing to 129 and have problems due to "low power"? Or are you reacting to the Northwest folks. I live in Tucker, have the 622 and a dish pointing to 129 (they re-pointed the 61.5 to 129 rather than putting up a Dish 1000) and I am not having any more difficulty with 129 than I do with the other sat positions.

I have a Dish 1000 (and 622s) and the signal on 129 is low (50-55) after peaking for 129. I haven't been able to check yet to see if the transponder switch from TP10 to TP16 has made a difference as I am out of town. The next thing I am going to try is to move my Dish300 pointed at 61.5 to 129 and see if it gives me a markedly better signal than the Dish1000.

The Dish1000 is not usuable as with signals in the 50-55 range it causes receive issue, guide downloading issue, etc if that signal drops.

Looks like everybody is complaining about how bad or inefficient E*'s plans for 118 are, when nobody knows for sure what those plans are. I have a feeling what they decide to do with it will make some sort of sense.

Charlie Ergen didn't get to be where he is today by being stupid. Ruthless and greedy maybe, but not stupid.

Try doing a dish 500 for 110/119 and a dish 1000 JUST For the 129 slot. Peak it on the 129 sat and run it into the dishpro plus twin and you should have a good signal on all three sats. I did this and it works great. I have two two dishes but I get everything fine. I get 100's on the 110/119 sat on the dish 500 and mid to upper 70's to mid 80s on the 129sat.

I just love all of the speculation we see here. It always brings a smile to my face when something out of the clear blue sky gets mentioned and then let the speculation begin.

It's always how terrible Dish is and no planning involved and what idiots they are.

Echostar didn't get to be a $13 Billion dollar company with 21000 employee's without doing some serious planning and execution. Just because we aren't privy to their inside track doesn't mean they are idiots.

Let's give them a break and wait and see how all this plays out.

Dune said:
I just love all of the speculation we see here. It always brings a smile to my face when something out of the clear blue sky gets mentioned and then let the speculation begin.

It's always how terrible Dish is and no planning involved and what idiots they are.

Echostar didn't get to be a $13 Billion dollar company with 21000 employee's without doing some serious planning and execution. Just because we aren't privy to their inside track doesn't mean they are idiots.

Let's give them a break and wait and see how all this plays out.
No one has called them idiots. You're the first person to use that term. All I'm saying is that the migration plan to HD (especially for the Atlanta area) was poorly planned, inefficient, and more expensive than it needed to be.

Just because a company becomes a multi-billion dollar company does not mean they don't make minor or even major mistakes. Examples...
small mistake - Microsoft failed to embrace the Internet in the early years; but of course they eventually caught up
medium mistake - Coke developed their "New Coke" product which failed miserably
super large mistake - ENRON, need I say more

Dish has made plenty of mistakes over the years. Perhaps they would be an even larger and more successful company if they had not. Of course, all companies make mistakes.

It is hard to say Dish knows exactly what they are doing when they have done the following:

- Dishplayer 7100 & 7200
- SuperDish
- Use of 129 and D1000 for northwest quadrant of USA
- Initial release of extremely buggy 921
- $200 trade-in credit for purchased 942s less than 1 year old
- Large losses in attempt to purchase DirecTV

There have been more.

This is more than enough for people here to be worried about what they might do with the 118.7 location, with the variety of new dishes coming out, right on the heels of another new dish.

But sure, Dish has done a lot of things right and it has made Charlie a multi-billionaire.

They surely wouldnt put 118 there temporarily. Maybe in the future they will put the content from 129 to 118 unless they find another slot real close to put even more content there. They could, in the future, require additional HD content to have a Dish1000+ dish. Since most content will eventually be HD anyways this would give people an incentive to switch the dish again. By that time we may be looking at even more slots and some more newer dishes to receive all of these HD channels. 118 would be great seeing how close it is to 119 being able to be received on a small dish and able to be picked up by everyone that can pickup 119. It would have been another main slot along with 110 and 119.

Dish already put the content on 129 that should have been put on 118 but they had to act quickly to stay competitive.

Well, whatever they are planning for 118 I will need another dish upgrade to get my Detroit HD. I don't love the idea of buying another dish, but if that is where the capacity is then go for it. Maybe it will help my 129 reception over the dish 1000 now, hopefully.

Anyway, does anyone have an estimate of a purchase cost for a Dish1000+ (The 118 dish with the 129 expansion)? I should figure $120+ for the DPP44 switch too.

I could see $100, maybe $150? I sure hope it is less than the original superdish, that was around $200.

That what i assumed - as it leads to some interesting "moving" possibilities.

AND Why in the *** did they not put the Atlanta HD-LIL there as they are moving them off Conus in SD at the end of the month - and Atlanta HD-LILs are pretty much worthless on 129 as everyone has noted thus far.

Someone really isn't thinking at E*.

Atlanta SHOULD be better now that they moved it to a better transponder, but I do agree it should have been on 61.5 all along.

Surely it will be less than the SuperDish but maybe more than the current Dish1000. Probably in between the cost of the two. Probably around $149. Now this Dish1000.2 has something like a DPP-44 switch built in right? It has that input for a fourth satellite which would seem like it would not need another switch. If this is the case then it might have been an expensive contraption for them to make which may drive the cost up to as much as $199 for it but I do not see it going over that. Maybe if they had enough made in bulk then they could have gotten the cost down to $99-149. Just look at what a DPP-44 switch costs. If the DPP-44 switch is built in then it would have made sense to have made this lnbf to where someone could turn it into a DPP-44 switch itself somehow seeing how the cost of this lnbf would be cheaper than a DPP-44 switch itself.

I'm a new customer as of a couple of weeks ago in the Indianapolis market. I tried to future proof my HD LIL options as much as possible so I had two dishes put up.

I went with 110/119 on a D1000 and 61.5 on a D300 using the switch in the D1000 with my new 622. I figured I was then covered no matter where they uplink Indianapolis. I was also feeling I was better using 61.5 over 129 after reading comments here.

I never knew to consider 118.7 as a possibilty though it sounds like maybe there's some benefit in Indy going there?

I'm now confused just when I thought I was understanding my setup. Will I be okay with my gear if Indy goes on 118.7 ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)