New 24" Actuator (1 Viewer)

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
I just got a new 24" Windynation actuator from Amazon today. First off I thought I was buying a cheap QARL type Chinese motor, but in fact got what looks very much like a Venture 24" clone. It seems super solid - so far - so good. It doesn't look like the picture in the Amazon ad. It is painted gun metal grey, instead of black with stars and stripes like all of the Motek versions and knockoffs of knockoffs.

My Venture 24" was only 4 or 5 years old but had a bit of a slack issue and finally the sensor gave out. No disrespect to Venture, I originally ordered the cheap 18" Venture and when I tore up 2 of them in quick succession, they kindly sent me the 24". I was thinking of ordering another 24" Venture or the Ball screw version, but shipping + exchange rate had me looking around for a better deal. Hello Amazon. $200 Cdn delivered.

I should have taken a picture but was too busy getting it on the dish with less than an hour of daylight when I got home with it.

Even the move count was identical to the Venture. I moved it to my due south and reset the ASC1 to 0000 and then started moving it to my old sats and they were all there.

Tomorrow it'll be blowing 100 kph, so we'll see how if handles the "Windynation" of my front yard.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
pacificrim,

How did that company come up with the name, “Windynation ?”
Inspite of its goofy name, hope it proves to be a durable actuator for you.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
I just got a new 24" Windynation actuator from Amazon today. First off I thought I was buying a cheap QARL type Chinese motor, but in fact got what looks very much like a Venture 24" clone. It seems super solid - so far - so good. It doesn't look like the picture in the Amazon ad. It is painted gun metal grey, instead of black with stars and stripes like all of the Motek versions and knockoffs of knockoffs.

My Venture 24" was only 4 or 5 years old but had a bit of a slack issue and finally the sensor gave out. No disrespect to Venture, I originally ordered the cheap 18" Venture and when I tore up 2 of them in quick succession, they kindly sent me the 24". I was thinking of ordering another 24" Venture or the Ball screw version, but shipping + exchange rate had me looking around for a better deal. Hello Amazon. $200 Cdn delivered.

I should have taken a picture but was too busy getting it on the dish with less than an hour of daylight when I got home with it.

Even the move count was identical to the Venture. I moved it to my due south and reset the ASC1 to 0000 and then started moving it to my old sats and they were all there.

Tomorrow it'll be blowing 100 kph, so we'll see how if handles the "Windynation" of my front yard.
Good luck with it. Keep us posted. :)

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
pacificrim,

How did that company come up with the name, “Windynation ?”
Inspite of its goofy name, hope it proves to be a durable actuator for you.

John
From what I have been able to discern... "windynation" is an alternative energy supply retailer. I've read that 'our' actuators and sometimes dish mounts are used with banks of solar panels to 'follow the sun' with the actuator as the day goes by.

I saw that actuator on big amazon too and was wondering what it was and could it hold up...guess we will know...

Reactions: JFOK

johnnynobody

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
42N 103W

I'll have to consider looking at those. My last 24 inch Venture actuator cost just under $400 with shipping. I've been considering getting a 36 inch actuator to get more view of the arc. But, I wanted to point out that my Venture actuators have better pointing accuracy after converting from a reed sensor to a hall sensor. Both the 4 pole and 8 pole Halls work very well.

norman881

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 26, 2009
Washington State
I'll have to consider looking at those. My last 24 inch Venture actuator cost just under $400 with shipping. I've been considering getting a 36 inch actuator to get more view of the arc. But, I wanted to point out that my Venture actuators have better pointing accuracy after converting from a reed sensor to a hall sensor. Both the 4 pole and 8 pole Halls work very well.
I bought my 36 inch ball screw directly from Venture in 2015 for $227.38 shipping included.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
I've had my last chinactuator. Seriously. I'm still gritting my teeth at Tek for his dropped conversations in emails.
If it weren't for the fact that I ordered a new motor/gearbox for my 2" O.D. 36" QARL and got one with a 1-3/4" bore.
I would have slapped it on and run it. But the bore was small and I had to tear it all down to stick in in a Bridgeport to open it up. Of course Tek assured me it was my fault. 2" is 2". Not 1-3/4". The QARL was a little over 2 years old.
So. Cheap? Absolutely. OK gearing with as little grease as possible. None on the pivot shafts. The motor?
That came off too and good thing. Brush wire terminals loose and flopping. Like 1/4 turn loose with coarse thread self tappers. Absolutely no grease on the armature bushings. Back together and working. Fingers crossed for the winter at least.
What's that they say about a dog that won't hunt? Here tekkie tekkie. Time for a walk in the woods, ole' buddy.

• Haha
Reactions: sgs

clucas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 30, 2012
Lompoc, California
I looked at the windynation website and see they are in Ventura, California. They offer actuators up to 30”.
One interesting thing is when I looked at the product manual section and chose “linear actuator” they have an HD Actuator Manual (LIN-ACHD Series) which looks exactly like our dish actuator and there is a 36” model. Two things, the reed sensor is optional and there is no pricing that I can find.

Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
So far so good. It's been super windy and gusty since I put it up 3 days ago and is doing its windynation duties, I guess. I think it is faster than my old one, too.

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
I looked at the windynation website and see they are in Ventura, California. They offer actuators up to 30”.
One interesting thing is when I looked at the product manual section and chose “linear actuator” they have an HD Actuator Manual (LIN-ACHD Series) which looks exactly like our dish actuator and there is a 36” model. Two things, the reed sensor is optional and there is no pricing that I can find.
I don't see this model on their website. Maybe this model is only sold on Amazon?
Mine came with the sensor.

johnnynobody

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
42N 103W
So far so good. It's been super windy and gusty since I put it up 3 days ago and is doing its windynation duties, I guess. I think it is faster than my old one, too.
If it's one of those 24V models then it will run faster with 36 V hitting it.

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
Here are some pictures of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_1035412.jpg
    IMG_20210306_1035412.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210306_1035445.jpg
    IMG_20210306_1035445.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210306_1035499.jpg
    IMG_20210306_1035499.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)