New 4 receiver lease rule

drjdan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Dallas, TX
Does this mean you can lease multi 622's?

I added a 622 last month for the $199 deal and added metal HD. Then I tried to trade in my owned 942 for another 622 at the $199 less $100 return fee and they said could only do one. Will this new rule that Scott referenced today about the Retailer Chat let me do this?

Actually it is a 4 tuner lease limit. So, 2 dual tuner boxes can meet the limit for the maximum of 4 tuners that Dish will lease. Also, Dish has a policy of allowing only one upgrade per year. If you want more boxes that go beyond the 4 tuner lease limit, you have to pay for it, as well as any other supporting hardware. If I have misunderstood your post, please provide more information.

If you will look at the notes that Scott made of the dealer broadcast, he uses the words "4 receiviers" not tuners. The tuner rule never made much sense to me since can use the splitter to get two signals on one line to the two tuner receiver.

izod said:
How is this any different from what already existed?

The change refers to the number of tuners allowed in a single upgrade. The 4 tuner rule still stands and is no actual change as part of the upgrades.

drjdan said:
If you will look at the notes that Scott made of the dealer broadcast, he uses the words "4 receiviers" not tuners. The tuner rule never made much sense to me since can use the splitter to get two signals on one line to the two tuner receiver.

In regards to dual tuners, the standard setup for a 2 dual tuner install usually works with a DPP Twin LNB or DP34 switch, neither of which support more than 4 tuners. Hence, in the rare instances that an upgrade would require a DPP44 switch, no more than 4 tuners are a part of a standard install. There is no exception to the rule granted by a DPP44 switch either, other than that if you purchase the additional receivers and have dual tuners connected, you don't have to pay for the additional equipment necessary (i.e. LNBs, switches, etc.). Hope that clears things up.

OK, let's make it real clear..... Can you lease 2 VIP 622's ???
Yes or No ??? Not trying to be snippy but Dish needs to clear this confusion up with the receiver/tuner statements.

Laters,
Mikef5

Mikef5 said:
OK, let's make it real clear..... Can you lease 2 VIP 622's ???
Yes or No ??? Not trying to be snippy but Dish needs to clear this confusion up with the receiver/tuner statements.

New customers no, and I think the same stands for existing customers except in a situation where they already had 2 921/942s (or one of each). I'm 99% positive I'm right there. I thought I'd leave that 1% open for someone to find another exception I was unaware of. Plus promotions and availablity are generated on a per-customer basis.

Last edited:
I have a DPP44 now with one feed with a spliter going to 622, one feed with a spliter going to 942, and one feed going to a 501. But technically I could have 4 dual tuner receivers. The dual tuner reciever even comes with the splitter. So I do not see any issue with 4 dual tuners. As for their standard, they changed out my DP34 to the DPP44 when they installed my 622. It did not seem to be an issue.

Are you leasing the 501 and the 942 or is one of them owned by you? I'm just saying the DPP44 isn't a part of a normal install based on the fact that you typically need only 3 feeds to get standard programming. There are a variety of circumstances involved in generating exactly what is necessary (as a minimum) for a standard installation. It's not as if Dish is going to just give away the DPP44 switch and still hope to cut a profit on installation/programming/retention. If you were lucky enough to get an install done before the launch of the extra 110 satellite, then it's quite likely that they used a DPP44 to bring in the 4 feeds that you would've needed at the time. Anyway, my point is the business rules and, in general, the equipment support a limit of 4 tuners.

I own the 942 and lease the 501 and 622. The installed tried to get me to accept an add on to my DP34 (I think it was another DP34), but I told him I did not want and preferred the DPP44. I wanted to be able to use the spliters on the dual tuners. So he just swapped out the DP34 for the DPP44. I am currently pointing to three sats (110,119,61.5).

In a situation like that, I think it goes to the installer's descretion because the DP34 would cost the company less but creates extra fail points (thus costing more down the road in the event that something fails), whereas a DPP44 would cut down on wall penetrations and bypass that. But back on topic, that goes to just 3 leased tuners.

AskATech, you are spot-on. Thanks for writing better than I. To echo AskATech, it is up to the retailer if he wants to "pay" for the DP44Plus, but Charlie aint gonna give one extra cent than he has to, and you are highly unlikely to ever get Mr. Ergan to give away DP44Plus unless it is absolutely necessary. You may want the elegance of the seperators, but as far as Charlie is concerned, you can deal with extra drill holes and cables of a DP34 that save him money. The best way to make sense of all this is to think like the tight businessman Charles Ergan is, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
Well Mr. Ergan was the provider of my DPP44 swap out. The tech person who did the work was an employee of Dish. No reseller was involved. He did not have a DPP44 on his truck, so he called the supervisor to bring one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)