New 522 Install...one wire or two from the sat to the box?

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Hey...

My brother is getting ready to order Dish Network for the first time, and is getting a 522 for living room/bedroom. Question though...when i got my 322 installed they ran two wires from the sat to the box. If I understand what all I've read on here, with the use of the new "seperator", they dont have to do this anymore, and can run one wire (or use the existing house wiring) to get two signals to the 522, using a seperator on both ends...correct?

If that is true...can we expect that the installer will #1, have the separators to do this, and #2, actually use them rather than insisting on running two new wires to the living room? ---OR should we ask specifically for this type of install when ordering the install thru Dish?!?

Thanks!
Dave

Unless you have a need for the DPP44 (4 satellites), you're not going to get a DPP Separator. The DPP Twin which would also do the job is not yet available.

In other words, you're gonna get a dual RG-6 feed. Offhand, I don't see the problem.

You may be able to call ahead and request the type of installation you proposed. Keep in mind that the free install is free basic
install of the minimum equipment required for the desired programming. Expect to pay for anything beyond the basics.

For installing a 522 you would require (excluding dishes cabling, and LNBs) the following.

If programming is on 2 sats (core programming + locals on 110/119):
No additional hardware.

If programming is on 3 sats (core programming + locals on 105/121 or internationals on 61.5/121 or additional locals on 61.5):
2 DP21 switches (~$30 each) or 1 DP34 switch (~$70).

If programming is on 4 sats (core programming + locals on 105 + internationals on 61.5/121 or locals on 105/121 + additional locals on 61.5):
DPP44 switch (~$200) DPP Separator (cost of separator would be equivilent to cost savings of 2nd run of RG-6 cable)

Assuming your brother is in the same DMA as you (Carlotte, NC) he will not fall in the 4 sat group and he can expect to pay at least an additonal $130-$200 for the install you proposed if it is even available in his area. :eek:

Oh well...I'm still new at all this...sorry.

Maybe I misunderstood what the seperator was supposed to do. It isnt really that it was a problem, I just thought that a couple of $10 seperators (cost according to the Dish Store link) would be a heck of alot easier than fishing an extra line to the living room from outside...especially since there was one already in place. I also didn't realize they weren't available yet.

Thanks for the help though!

Separators are available - but there's only 2 devices to drive them - the DPP44, which is only used for 3 or 4 satellite configurations due to the expense, and the DPP Twin, which would be fine for your setup - but IT'S not available yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts