New 6 foot dish with a DMX742 C/KU band LNBF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gentech

Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
SW MN
Hi everyone,

I just put up a 6 foot dish with the DMX742 c/ku band lnbf. I bought them from Sadoun and installed them next to my three ku dishes that I have up. I am watching all of this with a Mercury II box.

The installation seemed easier to me than what it was with an offset ku dish. I hit the correct satellites the first time. This is a fixed position set up. If I put a motor on this 6 footer with the C/kU lnbf. I could probably do it all with just that one dish.

I live on the Buffalo Ridge in SW Minnesota where all of the thousands of wind generators are located. Winds in excess of 70 MPH are not out of the ordinary here. I think that I would probably have a problem with trying to keep the dish aligned with a motor on it. To get a clear view if the southern sky I must place the dishes where there is no protection from the southern winds.

Every thing is up and works fine except for the lack of audio on 99.0 WVXF. That station is apparently using the AC3 audio. When I start talking about AC3 I really do not know what I am talking about.

That is my first question, what do I need to do to get sound on that station? Are boxes available that has this capability built in or does this require a separate sound system or decoder connected to the box? If so, what from where?

At the present time I am running everything through the RF to a couple of TV sets in different rooms.

When I started setting up this C band dish I was originally trying to get the ION channels on 103.0. I did find the correct transponder. The best that I could get was a signal quality of about 40%. Assuming that the information listed on the Lyngsat site is correct and I was in fact on the correct transponder. I would need a bigger dish to get ION. Is anyone else getting the ION channels and what size dish are you using?

Thanks for the help. I tried searching this forum for these answers and did not find much information to do with this.

Sonic Voom will do the audio. Motorizing it shouldn't be a problem. I've got virtually the same dish only an 8 footer motorized and 50 mph wind doesn't bother it. Ion on my Fortec Dynamic is usually between 35-40%. There's a lot on Cband and yes it's easier to line up compared to KU anyday I think...Blind

I don't recall WVXF being AC3.

When I used my Pansat 2700A to do the initial setup of my 7.5' StarTrak,
that channel came in with audio.

As woodheat/nooil says, adjust the APID to suit, or try changing the SAP
settings.

Maybe even try a fresh TP scan, 3845 H 15030 is working for me.

Good luck, I like that channel too!

Thanks for the no sound help

Thanks everyone for your kind responses to the no sound on WVXF.

Thank you woodheat/nooil. I tried what you suggested and went to the sound menu and selected the other option. I now have sound on that channel as well as on the stations that I was already set for. I did not know that setting was on the Mercury II.

On another subject being the DMX742 C/KU band LNBF. I have read that these combination devices do not work very well. Once I got the dish setup for the C band channels. I put on the LNBF jumper wire to also get the kU programming and ran a blind scan. Even though no kU programming is listed on Lyngsat for 99.0. I did find a CBS news feed that is on kU. It seems to work fine so I would think that kU would not be a problem with this LNBF.

I remember what I went through to get my first kU dish working years ago. I would feel sorry for a person new to this. Especially since this equipment now comes with no instructions at all. Seems like a poor way for the manufacturer and dealer to do business. I could not even find the install information to do with this on the Sadoun website. I guess that it does not matter since I did get it working.

wvxf sound

I did not think that wvxf would be AC3 since it is not listed on Lyngsat that way. I then went to "the list" on this forum. It lists this station as being AC3 on the sound. Since it would not work I assumed that to be correct information.

The list also shows the ION channels as needing an AC3 decoder. Is that information correct?

"I have read that these combination devices do not work very well."
Actually, they seem to work okay on decent sized C-band dishes. They work poorly on a mini-BUD setup, like my 4 footer, and comments about that may have entered your mind and be rattling around. Since that lnbf is designed for a Prime focus dish, the small offset dishes don't match it very well ( geometrically speaking ) .
:)

The list also shows the ION channels as needing an AC3 decoder. Is that information correct?

Ion has various audio PIDS
they have both a MPEG audio and a AC-3 audio

HD feeds usually have AC-3 as the Ion HD feed does. But the SD feeds have both and will work with any receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)