Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yesterday we reported that External Hard Drive storage was coming to the 622 on August 9th. (We also reported tht even though your receiver will ave the External Hard Drive support on August 9th that you will NOT be able to order External Storage service until August 15th. So DO NOT call Dish Network before the 15th to order external storage service before the 15th!)

Anyways I just got this in and its on another new feature we have not talked about much yet is "IP Callback"

So here is another feature coming to 622's starting on or after August 9th.

New Feature Available on ViP 622 Receiver

Effective August 9, customers with a ViP 622 will have an alternative to connecting their receiver to a phone line. A feature called "IP callback" will be available on ViP 622s This feature allows receivers to update Pay-Per-View records, and avoid the monthly Programming Access fee, using a broadband Internet connection. Customers without a broadband Internet connection to the receiver will still need to connect it to a phone line.

Connecting Receivers to the Home Network Customers will connect the receiver to their home network themselves. If they have issues connecting the receiver, they should try the following options for help:

Go to the consumer TechPortal at TechPortal. Then go to Receivers: ViP 622 DVR: Install: Connect your receiver to your home network.

Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
Well, it's about time. This is one of the features I would have to have to sub to dish again. Thanks for the info Scott

this is cool, but leaves me curious. I have the 622, but also have an 811 & 311, and pay the $5 fee for not having a landline. if I only connected the 622 via IP, wouldn't I still have to pay the $5 for not having the 811 & 311 hooked to a phone?

So I guess there will be no enabling fee to enable the ethernet port?
Correct no enablig fee. The ethernet port is there to make them MONEY. They want eveyone to use the Etheret port.

I would not surprise me to see them offer a Ethernet credit on peoples bills in the future to encourage them to hook their receivers up to broadband.

This would be a very easy, cheap way for them to enable live local radar with the weather channel or as a stand alone somehow. All they would need is to install some type of web browser in the software for that purpose.

So the 50 dollar question is do they make a wireless adapter for a rj45 connector? If they do, you should probably post it up as a sticky to help everyone that will be here to try and set this up, because I can only imagine all of the stuff they plan on announcing that is coming soon.

All it would take is them to write the software to allow that. Should be a piece of cake.

I realize it's in the S/W, but I've had that piece of cake yanked away from me before. I just haven't seen it said that if you decide to go with the broadband connection you don't lose the caller ID....

Will the Dishcomm function work with IP callback as well? I have one 622 in my bedroom where my DSL modem/router is and another 622 in my living room. Currently I have the phone line hooked up in my bedroom and use Dishcomm to link up the one in the living room.

I realize it's in the S/W, but I've had that piece of cake yanked away from me before. I just haven't seen it said that if you decide to go with the broadband connection you don't lose the caller ID....

Oh no doubt. What they could do, and what they will do is often a lot different.

They need to make sure the Caller ID function will continue to work when switching to the ethernet option (both line still plugged in of course). That is a HUGE feature in my opinion.

So the 50 dollar question is do they make a wireless adapter for a rj45 connector? If they do, you should probably post it up as a sticky to help everyone that will be here to try and set this up, because I can only imagine all of the stuff they plan on announcing that is coming soon.

There are adapters that convert USB (which a wirless adapter usually is) to eternet port (rj45).

The caller ID wouldn't work over the internet, but the phone line. If the phone line were connected in addition to this, it could still work.

This all implies a new version of software about to be loaded. After the L4.06-L4.09 disaster, any bets if they will just roll out the USB and ethernet changes, or try to put back the changes in L4.06-9?

Let's see if I have this straight...if someone were to have three 622s, as long as they keep one plugged into an active phone line or ethernet port then the other 622s would be able to communicate with Dish Network through the HomePlug (forgot the name of the intelligent electrical adapter) feature...just have one hooked up and the others will pass data over the electric adapter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)