New 622 & no HDMI

pcbelize

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
I just finished installing my new 622 :) & I'm getting nothing through my HDMI :mad:

The components work fine, but no video or audio through the HDMI.

I've read about lots of HDMI problems on the 622s. Is the general consensus that they are all software problems? Or is possible that I've got a defective unit and it should be returned???

No and yes. There are multiple root causes. E* has admitted to some "incompatabilities" with certain TV brands that they hope to solve with SW updates. More significant is the known HW issue with the fragile HDMI connector. Here is the current active thread for your reading pleasure in case this was not part of your research. Call Tech Support to walk through the paces then request a replacement unit...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=68950

Good luck with the swap-out. I and many others here have been through the same thing. In most cases a single replacement has seemed to solve the problem, YMMV...

Bhelms thanks for info. With all the post I read on the subject I so how missed that gi-normous thread.

I guess I know how I will be spending my Friday night...some mood lighting, a nice bottle of wine and a dish rep in my ear.

pcbelize said:
...I guess I know how I will be spending my Friday night...some mood lighting, a nice bottle of wine and a dish rep in my ear.
LOL - I never thought of that combination, but, hey, maybe it's a good one! FWIW, you will get comparable/reasonable performance from your component connections (E* will suggest you just resort to that!) and that can certainly hold you over while you proceed through the likely "E* denial phase" and while you clear-out any recordings you have made. You can try soft and hard reboots and *gently* pulling/re-inserting/wiggling the HDMI plug. These tricks have worked at least temporarily for some. Also try a different HDMI cable just to be sure, and if possible try another HDMI source with your TV just to confirm your TV is not the problem (not likely but possible). Once you have exhausted all these simple things, you will be well armed to discuss the issue and E*'s plans for correcting it! Be persistent - you will eventually get your replacement. Let us know how the call goes.

Again, good luck! (PS - Pass some of that wine over here...!)

Last edited:
I gave up on the CSR roulette long before I finished the bottle of wine. I try again when I have another couple of hours to kill.

I'm fairly confident that it is not the HDMI cable since all I did was remove one end from my 942 and put it into the 622. I will spend a bit more time trying the wiggle/jiggle/pulling/re-insert game.

I've noticed that the pq of the 622 is noticable worse than my 942 was (not horrible, but still obviously different). I'm not sure if that is due to the reciever or to the cables.

If you have a powerful magnifying glass, you can look at the HDMI connector surface mount solder points. Any cracks and you know the root cause. Being mass produced, even a slightly misaligned holddown screw could break the HDMI connector loose from the circuit board before the cover is even put on. I have read here though that some Visio TVs actually have an HDCP problem preventing them from working. If you want to see what to look for, here are a couple of pictures at my blog.

Maybe they have extra 622s in stock, however, with my 411, they steadfastly and absolutely refused to replace it.

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/09/dont-blindly-believe-dish-if-hdmi.html

TripleII

pcbelize said:
I will spend a bit more time trying the wiggle/jiggle/pulling/re-insert game.

I would not do that. It is possible that since it never worked, your TV might have a problem, but jiggling the connector, if you actually get it to jiggle will absolutely break the HDMI connector loose. Take a look, you will see what I mean. Having a conenctor that people push/pull and otherwise abuse surface mounted to the circuit board is just a horrible design. Add in securing it to an independant piece that must be aligned absolutely perfectly just adds to the fundamental weakness of the design.

The only value jiggling can have is to prove the connector is loose, it won't fix anything (maybe you can temporarily jam it so there is electrical contact)

TripleII

TripleII said:
I would not do that. It is possible that since it never worked, your TV might have a problem, but jiggling the connector, if you actually get it to jiggle will absolutely break the HDMI connector loose. Take a look, you will see what I mean. Having a conenctor that people push/pull and otherwise abuse surface mounted to the circuit board is just a horrible design. Add in securing it to an independant piece that must be aligned absolutely perfectly just adds to the fundamental weakness of the design.

The only value jiggling can have is to prove the connector is loose, it won't fix anything (maybe you can temporarily jam it so there is electrical contact)

TripleII

TripleII thanks for additional info.

I purchased the reciever from Sadoun, who has always been pretty good about returns/exchanges. So I'm exchanging the reciever for a new one (I hope), rather than open it up and mess with it. If the next one has the same problem I might try something else.