New 625 Owner with Questions

dlarruso

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Hey Kids!
So I finally bit the bullett and made the call to cox cable to cancel and to dish network to sign up. Having done that and scheduled tohave them come install on the 14th of July, I have a few questions for the folks that actually have the product.

First, I will still have cox high speed internet which runs through the exisitng coaxial into my office. Will having satellite effect my internet? Should I tell the installer anything about this?

Second, the 625 sounded great from the guy from dish selling me the product. I guess now that I think about it, I am a little confused how it works. My house was built in the 80's has never been wired for satellite before, but as I mentioned I did have digital cable so it was wired for cable. There is a cable wall plate outlet in every room. My understanding from talking to the dish network salesman was that once the guy finishes installing the satellite and I have the 625 receiver in the living room I can access satellite from the master bedroom through the existing wiring, (in another words I don't have to have a cable running through my house from the receiver in the living room to my bedroom tv), the signal will just travel through the existing cable wiring in my house. Is this correct?
Thanks for the help

I just got my dish installed last week to replace Adelphia cable. Like you, I also have to keep my cable internet. I told the installation guy about it, and he took care of it, my internet was never down during the whole installation. He did use the existing coaxial cable to connect between the main receiver in the living room to the second TV in our bedroom. He doesn't have to put down any new cables for those 2 TVs, just have to disconnect the existing cables from the cable to the modem at the switch.

Just make sure you tell installer that you need to keep your cable internet before he start planning out the wiring. He will probably ask you anyway.

yes please tell the installer that you have cable internet that needs to stay hooked up, i don't know how many times i get the whole install done and start walking out the door and the customer goes "o, i forgot, is my modem still hooked up"

please, mention it first thing

It depends on the type of cable in your house if it is rg6 it will be fine if rg59 make sure the installer replaces it. Also if you are in a superdish area he will have to pull 2 wires into the 625 and then he has some options on the backfeed to the bedroom. It depends on the installer, he may pull a 3rd wire for the backfeed or he can use a diaplexer. If you are in a 500 market then he can use the one wire that is there to do it all. As for the cable modem just make sure he does not disconnect the cable going into your house and it is not in any area of the tvs. The way the Master Bed room will work is the remote will have a UHF antenna that will transmit a signal to the reciever and change the channel. You can also have pip with this reciever also, that is what I like about them. Make sure the installer spends atleast 15 min on educating you about the system. Also make sure you have a phone line close to the reciever it can stay hooked up to to save you the 5 bucks per month. Congrats on the switch, Cable Sucks Sats Rock.

Tate's half right. There's lots of options he didn't mention, and of course, RG-59 is fine for the backfeed. In this case, with luck, the house wiring can be isolated from the rest of the cable setup (modem), and then the 625's TV2 output simply plugs into the nearest cable jack and feeds the whole house. Of course, the sat feed(s) would have to be new, but that's usually a good idea anyway.

Keep in mind that the current setup uses the whole-house wiring to send the cable modem signal to your house. You would have to isolate that signal to one place, with the cable modem, if you reused the whole house network for redistributing the Dish signal.

Brad

I'm curious about the 625, my mom had Dish installed today in her home, replacing Comcast. I stopped by her place to check it out because I had never seen or used Dish. The 625 seems cool, 1 receiver & can run 2 TVs is pretty neat. What all can this receiver do? Can it record multiple channels at once for example? One thing I am curious about it cable hookups. I did not pull out her 625 to check but I am assuming it has the RG6 running into the box, and then RG6 to both TVs it's hooked up to. Her other box was this way maybe model 322 or something, it was a basic receiver I know that. Back to the 625 I am assuming the TV hooked up in the other room must be done so via RG6, but does the TV the box is hooked up to have to be done so via RG6? Can I switch it out to S-Video for her? How efficient does the UHF signal for the remote work? I only got to play with the Dish DVR system for a few minutes, it seemed a little more complicated than my DTivo but I really liked that it was hooked up to 2 TVs with 1 box. Is the 625 a decent DVR? Should she have gotten something else? She has no plans for HD anytime soon and I was just excited to see her jump into this century and get a DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)