new and got some ????'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlittrell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Missouri
Ok so im gonna be new to the c-band game and i been doing alot of reading but i got some questions. Ive looked and looked on these forums so if i missed it im sorry. First i want to know everyone's opinion on the Sadoun motorized c-band set up (MC-1 Bundled System) (im upgrading to the HD box)
My next question is since everything appears to be digital now im guessing i wont need wires to control the polarity of the lnb just 2 coax wires (one ku one c) and my 4 motor wires is that correct? Also i know whats the best coax to use (200ft run) and what kind of wires should i use for the motor? Lastly the sats im wanting to get are located at about 87* West thru 137* West. Will the sadoun setup be good for that?

The BEST coax to use would be RG-11, however price and availability likely make it a prohibitive choice.
You'd probably do well with some of the old 4 leg ribbon cable. Two RG-56 runs combined with a 4 wire motor control run plus a polar rotor run which you wouldn't need.

Well, it's kind of hard to offer much opinion without some background on ya.
How did you come to this decision in both hardware and C-band?
Do you have much experience with Ku band?
What sort of room fo you have for dish expansion ?

You might be well served by some deep reading on the forum.
I'll just say: you're dippin' your hook in the shallow end of the pool.

The BEST coax to use would be RG-11, however price and availability likely make it a prohibitive choice.
You'd probably do well with some of the old 4 leg ribbon cable. Two RG-56 runs combined with a 4 wire motor control run plus a polar rotor run which you wouldn't need.
I am having a hard time finding the old ribbon cable online (i didnt look locally but unless home depot has it i wont find it) what I did find online was $1.19 a foot plus shipping and while im not against using that i was hoping to get something a little cheaper because im looking at $200+ just on cables. I might have to go that route though.

Well, it's kind of hard to offer much opinion without some background on ya.
How did you come to this decision in both hardware and C-band?
Do you have much experience with Ku band?
What sort of room fo you have for dish expansion ?

You might be well served by some deep reading on the forum.
I'll just say: you're dippin' your hook in the shallow end of the pool.
My only real experience is with installing dish network systems since i moved a couple times and had to reinstall my dish but ive decided to quit paying for tv. Im looking for FTA and while KU has some things ive seen that C-band has more of what I want ( rtv, some network stations and such, not looking to get into 4dtv or anything like that dont care about mtv, nick, espn and that type of stuff) I have pretty much unlimited room for expansion but im wanting to go motorized c-band Fta, ku band would be a plus but in not that worried about it. I have scouted a few old BUDS but i would rather have all new equipment and dont know if i would be able to get the dishes. I plan to do alot more reading but ive got the money now to order what i need if what im looking at is a good setup.

STAY AWAY FROM RG-56.
What would you suggest for coax and 4 motor wires?

For coax a good quality RG-6 should be fine. RG-11 is even better, but probably not necessary unless you are running 250-300'+.

I am running the old-school ribbon cable, but I know a lot of folks here are using multi-conductor 18 ga. sprinkler wire for their actuator power and control. Lowes and Home Despot both carry it.

The system you are looking at is ok for a starter system but I don't recommend a 6 footer. They can work well and get quite a bit of what is up there, but may leave you frustrated on getting the weaker, harder to get signals. They also are not big enough to reject stronger signals on adjacent sats.

You might consider snapping a pic or 2 of the "pre-owned" BUDs that you have seen. We would be glad to let you know what is desirable. You could easily find a dish that was around $1500-$2000 new, and it would be superior in most every way than the new setup you are thinking of purchasing now. And it might be free!

There would be a little more work involved getting a used system going, but not that much, and the difference between that new 6 footer and a well-tuned old 10 footer is night and day.

Ditto what Phlat said. If you are serious about C band stuff, A used 10 footer is the way to go. Most can be had for 100 bucks or less. You will have to have a new Lnb most likely. My 2 cents worth

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)