New and need a little advice! Does a DTV Installer have to come out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Twolabs

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
NE Texas
Hello all! First, thanks for such an informative website. I've been here several times to find answers to questions, but since this is a little more specific, I thought I better make a thread. A little backstory:

Our house was built in 2010.
HR22-100 HD DVR in the living room
HR20-700 HD DVR in master bedroom
Set up on whole-house DVR (not Genie)
I "moved" shortly after we actually moved in. Reason being, I'm about 90 miles to Dallas and 75 to Tyler, TX and I grew up on Dallas locals and they carry a good portion of my Dallas Mavericks on one of their locals.

We are in the middle of adding on to our house, specifically we are finishing out attic space above our garage and kitchen for a large loft, bedroom and bathroom. The electricians have already run coax to where the TV is going to be in the loft and ran it over to where all of those wires come together. There is also coax run over to the bedroom where the TV will be (sometime in the future, not now, just a guest room).

My questions are:
1) The genie looks intriguing, but if I order that, then I'll have to "move" back and get an actual installer out, correct?
2) If I forgo the Genie and just get another HD DVR receiver, should I be able to "plug and play"? I haven't gone over to where all the coax cables come together to see if it is even connected anywhere, I'll do that when I get home from work tonight. If so, I wouldn't have to worry about "moving" back. Since we're on whole house DVR, would they also need to ship that little white box also (not sure what it is called)?
3) I'm concerned that my contractor has not left enough working space around where all the wires come together for any future installers. A DTV installer would have to go into my attic, over and under several air conditioning ducts and then into a very tight and narrow passageway to access the "panel". I'm afraid after they put drywall up it might be too difficult for an installer and they just might refuse to work on it, if they need to access it. I might wind up making my contractor put in an access door somewhere, not sure. I guess my question is, how often do DTV installers just say, "Sorry man, I can't get to where I need to....no install".

Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice and help offered here!

Hello all! First, thanks for such an informative website. I've been here several times to find answers to questions, but since this is a little more specific, I thought I better make a thread. A little backstory:

I "moved" shortly after we actually moved in. Reason being, I'm about 90 miles to Dallas and 75 to Tyler, TX and I grew up on Dallas locals and they carry a good portion of my Dallas Mavericks on one of their locals.

We are in the middle of adding on to our house, specifically we are finishing out attic space above our garage and kitchen for a large loft, bedroom and bathroom. The electricians have already run coax to where the TV is going to be in the loft and ran it over to where all of those wires come together. There is also coax run over to the bedroom where the TV will be (sometime in the future, not now, just a guest room).

My questions are:
1) The genie looks intriguing, but if I order that, then I'll have to "move" back and get an actual installer out, correct?
2) If I forgo the Genie and just get another HD DVR receiver, should I be able to "plug and play"? I haven't gone over to where all the coax cables come together to see if it is even connected anywhere, I'll do that when I get home from work tonight. If so, I wouldn't have to worry about "moving" back. Since we're on whole house DVR, would they also need to ship that little white box also (not sure what it is called)?
3) I'm concerned that my contractor has not left enough working space around where all the wires come together for any future installers. A DTV installer would have to go into my attic, over and under several air conditioning ducts and then into a very tight and narrow passageway to access the "panel". I'm afraid after they put drywall up it might be too difficult for an installer and they just might refuse to work on it, if they need to access it. I might wind up making my contractor put in an access door somewhere, not sure. I guess my question is, how often do DTV installers just say, "Sorry man, I can't get to where I need to....no install".

As a installer I would look at the whole set up. I would explain what was provided in the FREE installation and make sure the customer understood there would be charges for "cavity work"; running cable in walls. Without a schematic or labled lines there would almost always be a charge to "ring out" unidentified lines. Access was often an issue.If you have to spend fifteen minutes in and out of a work area it is just easier and within the installation guidelines to run a surface line and let the customer get it hidden at another time. Consider an access door. Techs have to carry tools and materials....those tight fits are expensive.

See what others say,

Joe

My questions are:

I know in my area I plan to use a authorized DirecTV third party to help me out when I need it on equipment since I am at a "moved" address. If you have a authorized third party dealer in your area, they could help you out.

If you wish to go through DirecTV directly (18005315000) then yes, you need to "move" back, and then "move" a 2nd time to dallas. I back Joe on everything he said as an installer. I also agree with edison, try to find a local installer to help with the hassel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)