New and need help

smith12

Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
Hello my name is Travis and I am new to the forum and would love some help and advice. I have recently had a dishnetwork Vip 622 insalled and would like to add a hd antenna to get my locals and anything else. Would love some help on what type and where to get the antenna. I live in north carolina at area code 28114. thanks!!

Well you are not in a good spot for digital. Here is your digital profile from www.antennaweb.org, but I had to go up 100 ft to get this data. At ground level it shows only one analog channel (WSPA CBS out of Spartanburg).

AntType Call Sign Chan Ntwrk City State Dir Dist Freq
* yellow - uhf WLOS-DT 13.1 ABC ASHEVILLE NC 289° 57.7 56
* yellow - uhf WUNF-DT 33.1 PBS ASHEVILLE NC 289° 57.7 25
* yellow - uhf WHNS-DT 21.1 FOX ASHEVILLE NC 271° 52.4 57
* yellow - uhf WSPA-DT 7.1 CBS SPARTANBURG SC 266° 30.6 53
* red - uhf WYCW-DT 62.1 CW ASHEVILLE NC 274° 44.7 45
* blue - uhf WBTV-DT 3.1 CBS CHARLOTTE NC 81° 33.1 23
* violet - vhf WNTV-DT 9.1 PBS GREENVILLE SC 247° 42.5 9

Most digitals are west of you but nearly 60 miles away. The only VHF is PBS out of Greenville, so unless you really want it, I'd go for a Channel Master 4228 or an Antennas Direct XG-91 with a CM 7777 pre-amp on a mast as tall as I can get and point it west to see what I get.

Also be aware that WLOS-DT and WSPA-DT are above channel 52, so they will likely move back to their old channel (both VHF) in Feb of 2009.

Thanks for the help. What would be some options if i really wanted it, and again thanks for the help.

Probably the best UHF/VHF combo antenna is the Winegard HD8200P, but it is REALLY big (like 15 ft long with a 100 inch turning radius) and UPS will not ship it. you have to find a store nearby that stocks it. Their next size antenna is the HD7084P which is UPS shipable.

An other way to go is to buy the BEST VHF high band antenna and combine that with the BEST UHF antenna. Some people who go this way still use the Winegard 8200 and combine it with a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp which has seperate UHF and VHF inputs (switchable) for the VHF portion of the setup and add either a Channel Master 4228 or an antennas Direct 91-XG for UHF.

Antenna Craft makes a VHF high band antenna for channels 7-13 (Model Y10-7-13) which can be (because of higher frequency) much smaller than the 8200. It would also make a good antenna to add to a UHF only antenna.

If it were me, I'd probably get the Y10-7-13 for VHF, the Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF and combine them with a CM7777. All three will run you about $190. You may want to add a rotator to this to "look" in various directions (another $60 or so). With mast and other supplies you are probably looking at $300.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts