New Anti-Piracy Chip for television providers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I was reading this article ... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cable-vets-tout-new-anti-653727?

It basically states that a chip inside the box will prevent content from being viewed by others and that it will only cost the companies $5 per box vs $35 with the other conditional access systems in use. Says it don't need security keys, just the chip, that is done by hardware instead of software, simple and cheap.

I just dont understand how this would make things so much more secure. The provider would still need to change credentials as to what programming is being received from time to time. Wouldn't someone be able to replicate the chip to hack? They talk as if it is something new that has never been done before.

I read the article. I think it's complete B.S and gobbledegook.

No way that system could exist without being hackable very quickly. Bet they are trolling for money, and once they get their hands on a bunch of it, it'll all go away. IF it really exists, it'll be hacked quickly just for no other reason then they are STUPID enough to throw out the challenge that it's "unhackable".

Content protection chips and schemes have been "invented" over and over. Remember the mandatory macrovision chip in VCRs... Yeah they really halted piracy. It will work probably for a day or two until it is hacked to death.

I read the article. I think it's complete B.S and gobbledegook.

No way that system could exist without being hackable very quickly. Bet they are trolling for money, and once they get their hands on a bunch of it, it'll all go away. IF it really exists, it'll be hacked quickly just for no other reason then they are STUPID enough to throw out the challenge that it's "unhackable".

I agree, saying "unhackable" is waving a red flag in front of a bull. Reading the article, it sounds hackable to me. Sounds like a 'key setup', in the hardware chip that must match a key in the media. Remember the at first, as touted by MS, supposedly "unhackable" original X-Box?

I'd bet Primestar31 is correct and they're trolling for money. Once they've run it through it's course and gotten what they can, then they'll say it can't be done, they'll be gone and you'll only hear the wind whistling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)