new app added this morning World Cup Soccer

I don't find it a sissies game at all. I just find it boring. The field is too big, so it takes too long to get from one end to the other.

Indoor soccer was pretty exciting. But, it never took off. Non-Americans hated it because it was an abomination to their beloved game. And, Americans didn't like it because it was still soccer.

I'm assuming you don't like hockey either because the two sports are very similar. I love the fact that soccer does not have any commercial breaks.

For those that keep up with fútbol and more specifically, the antics of FIFA, you might enjoy this video. It's supposed to be about getting Americans to like/understand the sport, but goes off on a tangent. One of my favorite lines is the one about, "to Americans, 'soccer' is what you pick your 10-year old daughter up from" !

I'm assuming you don't like hockey either because the two sports are very similar. I love the fact that soccer does not have any commercial breaks.
ALL team sports are very similar, other than baseball and cricket. It involves getting an object (ball or puck) from one end of a playing area (field, pitch, rink, court) to the other (goal).

If a hockey rink was as big as a soccer field, then I might like it less. But, even then, hockey players move so much faster than soccer players, it probably would still be relatively exciting. In fact, hockey is often so fast-paced and exciting that I look forward to the break in action, just so I can relax and breath for a few seconds.

ALL team sports are very similar, other than baseball and cricket. It involves getting an object (ball or puck) from one end of a playing area (field, pitch, rink, court) to the other (goal).

If a hockey rink was as big as a soccer field, then I might like it less. But, even then, hockey players move so much faster than soccer players, it probably would still be relatively exciting. In fact, hockey is often so fast-paced and exciting that I look forward to the break in action, just so I can relax and breath for a few seconds.

I love watching hockey but people complain about it being boring just like soccer. I agree with you, hockey is very exciting. I get the same excitement from watching soccer but it isn't as fast paced. When I see the ball around the net the excitement level is the same for me as it is when the puck is around the net. I'm always screaming to SHOOT when my team is on offense and screaming GET THAT DAMN THING OUT OF THE ZONE! when my team is on defense. lol

The games were announced as on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. I hope that is all. The app will be interesting to follow, if Dish keeps it filled in with wins and losses.

As for the Olympics, London is volunteering to host the games if Brazil falls through. And they are not doing very well, at the moment. We will see how they handle the crowds and athletes for the World Cup.

I hope that is all. The app will be interesting to follow, if Dish keeps it filled in with wins and losses.
I would hope Dish isn't trying to keep track and they built it such that they simply pull the data from a reliable source (which there are no doubt plenty to pick from).

As many of you know, I have spent a good deal of time in Germany. The Germans, like the rest of the world, are exuberant fans of football. I started watching Bayern Munich play and found, after I understood the rules, that I really enjoyed this game. There are those that call it a sissies game. I say to those people, try running your ass off for 90 minutes and tell me about it.... ;)
I played soccer as a HS senior. Used to play football well before that. I had to get used to not using my body the way I knew how to in football to block an attacker with the ball. Couldn't even use basketball-related skills. Got a yellow card once for it. The guy did a flop. And that is one of the problems...is the blatant flopping for light contact. Basketball has that problem, too.

Two things, one was already mentioned. The size of the field seems to really slow down the action. Not sure I'd want the field and boards like the indoor soccer of the 1970s, but the current size feels too big. Also, the substitution rules....once you're out, you're done for the game. I don't want what hockey has, with the guys jumping over the boards to change each possession change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)