New Apple watch is predicted for Sep 12th announcements

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
The big new Apple Watch announcement is that it will no longer be required to be tethered or paired to your iphone to make or receive calls.

Pros and cons?

Read more: The coming Apple Watch won't need to be linked to an iPhone to make calls

My big concern is will it require an additional service with your carrier? That can be very expensive.

I'm still very happy with my original Apple watch as it does all I want except water proof. My daughter just got the new Apple Watch 2 and she has no problem wearing it in water. I'm jealous! When I go snorkeling for the day, I switch to my old fashion diver's watch. PIA for sure.

What I've read the Apple Watch 3 will have 2 versions. LTE and non LTE.
Even though LTE will be implicated you will not be able to make calls but will be used for apps at this time.
I'm more interested in the health features. Looks like more workouts will be added but not sure how they will be used.
I would like the Watch to auto detect a certain exercise like Fitbit but for that to happen the heart rate monitor would need to work differently.

Even if they use LTE just for data, would you be able to make a FaceTime Audio call to another FaceTime user? I'll keep an eye on the announcement, for sure. I didn't get an iPhone until the 4, so waiting to get an Apple Watch until the Series 3 would be on par with my past habits. Of course, it would help if I actually wore a watch now.

What I've read the Apple Watch 3 will have 2 versions. LTE and non LTE.

Yes but also heard LTE will be optional and just a feature you can activate with your carrier. I only saw one price chart for the watch 3 so I think that is an activation feature but if there is a model that has no LTE then that would be a $saving for buyers. I would not opt to have that.

The watch 3 is said to return to the old case thickness of the original because of lower battery drain components and thinner sensors. Plus a smart band for improving the sensors and opening up O2 sensor. Much brighter screen and finer pixels than before.

I wonder if the LTE option from the carriers will be like the ipad and not the phone? I recall my ipad was only $10 a month for LTE service through Verizon. There were rumors that the carrier would be charging $40 like a cell phone for the LTE. That would be a killer.

If it's like the Samsung Gear, it will require it's own phone number for when not paired with the phone. People get confused when I call off my watch, as I have a Massachusetts area code for my phone and a New Hampshire area code for my watch.

I don't know that for certain as the leaks only claim LTE capability, ie works like the ipad which also has a phone number. Just that the ipad number with LTE is only used by the carrier for accounting. From the specs, it appears that the stand alone features of the Gear S3 is similar in that you still need a Samsung smart phone for full featured phone communications, but once paired, you can then separate the two and make and receive calls, text, and email etc. Does the Gear S3 have a CDMA or GSM radio for standard voice on AT&T or Verizon carrier as a true stand alone? I don't see how it could. It only works through the internet ( LTE ).

Samsung says: Standalone connectivity requires initial pairing of Gear S3 with compatible phone and separate qualifying wireless plan. Standalone functionality limited if paired phone is not powered on or connected to a wireless network. Network coverage not available everywhere. Consult carrier for details.

The interesting thing about the Gear LTE version is that it can also pair with the iphone but limited features. Same with non Samsung Android phones, have limited features.

At least the ipad can work as a true stand alone. Does not require pairing with a smart phone. And communication is facetime, skype, or text even though the ipad has full GSM CDMA EVDO radios, the carriers lock the SIMM so you can't switch carriers.. I got the impression that the new Apple watch will be similar to the ipad but no carrier compatible radio for phone, just LTE connectivity. Still need Blue Tooth pairing for apps and updates.

My best guess now is that the Apple watch will work similar to the ipad in billing but similar to the Samsung Gear LTE in how it communicates. The advantage of the Samsung is it compatible with many smart phones. Apple watch is only good for iphone. For me, the Gear is too big.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)