new bird going to 30W this month

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The vehicle delivered this week was transported by the MN Toucan, which is one of two roll-on/roll-off ships

My kind of ship. :rolleyes:

Is this going to replace the two hispasat sats there now?

reading the link,

Hispasat 1E was built by Space Systems/Loral using an LS 1300 platform and will have an estimated liftoff mass of 5,270 kg. Fitted with 53 active Ku-band transponders, the powerful satellite will provide Hispasat with additional capacity, enabling it to offer a broader range of video and data transmission services with European and pan-American coverage from an orbital position of 30 degrees West.

thats alot of capacity @ 30w. too bad its only 2.7 degrees above the horizon for me and the only time ive locked it was from a rural grid road with my laptop and a prof 7500. haha.

crackt out,.

Fitted with 53 active Ku-band transponders, ...thats alot of capacity @ 30w. too bad its only 2.7 degrees above the horizon for me
With all the S2 and h.264, do we really need more bandwidth?

And so far away!
I can't get a sniff of it from the west coast. :(
Below the horizon from here.

Well, maybe there will be lower prices due to the extra competition (and capacity) (?)

By additional capacity I guess they mean only 1 TP since the old birds 1C/1D had a combined capacity of 52 ku TP's. 1C was already crippled somehow and soon to be 11 years old with 1D 2 years younguer so they apparently already needed a replacement. No word on how powerfull it will be but I expect it will be similar to its brothers at around 105-110 W, at least they expect it will have similar power at its end of life , like 15 kW. Who knows maybe at the beggining even with a 60 cm one can pull the strong wide signals in most weather conditions since there is no adjacent interference.

No word yet on the capability to have 1 TP with a middle east beam that 1D brought to the table and maybe thats how the Arab mux at 12132H gets uplinked so maybe we loose that mux since it might be costly for the uplinker to do a double jump to get to America using Hispasat. It may be more expensive to move that mux to an Intelsat or other bird, although in any case they will probably find a solution to bring those signals to America.

Its always good news when they bring a new bird but I do no think in this case we will gain more channels since that bird is already crowded with over 80% of its capacity filled. At least I see lots of signals on the SA everytime I look.

This is good news for me and others in the southern, central and eastern USA. Maybe the signal will be stronger, although I already get a decent signal on 30w. I do wish you guys out west and far north could get this bird as it has some good movies plus ktv, press tv,etc. I have fixed dishes on 101w and 30w for my viewing pleasure. I still don't have an S2 receiver or a HDTV set. Maybe someday when my rich uncle gets out of the poor house, I'll get both. Untill then, I have to watch SD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)